Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.

One thing I noticed that might be similar that I also noticed when comparing against my Aleph Js. The NCore while more overall detailed had a brightness in it and were not as laid back as the Aleph.

I've measured response and distortion in the speaker and them basically measure the same. The brightness is one of the reason I'm now testing to build an F2J to see if midrange and upwards would sound better to my ears. And then measure the distortion in the speaker and compare also since the F2J is a current source which should be interesting to test since my NCore current source conversion tests failed.

I have heard the UCD and your description do not fit anything I have heard at all. You must have done something wrong or just the rest of your setup is s... ! :confused:
well, if my setup manages to sound decent while being **** at the same time, I guess I'm one lucky guy :)
obviously, anything coming from you is the absolute truth so you must be right :)

well, if my setup manages to sound decent while being **** at the same time, I guess I'm one lucky guy :)
obviously, anything coming from you is the absolute truth so you must be right :)

No truth but I have heard the UCD with fantastic sound . The cost for the total setup was around 2000 Euro and one off the best heard ever. I am in a hifi club and hear lots of setups.

Hi Sven. I must say I have heard the Ncore in four systems, one being my own, and the amps were totally silent. I would tell you it is not the amps but something else. It could be the layout, wiring, shielding etc. Also I find that if you plug them into any conditioning or filtering of any type you will get the "distant" sound you mention. It really takes the life out of the amps.Again this was tried in several systems all with different setups and PC and filtering. We also found that good vibration control made an improvement. But be careful as some made it worse. Some power cords also made an improvement. YMMV. As good as the Ncore are they will not be to everyones liking, just as types of music and flavors of ice cream. IMHO.

Sam and Shaman, the data sheet is unclear to me. Under "4 Absolute maximum ratings," "input current" ("logical inputs and buffer inputs") is listed as 10mA max.

Moving down the page to "5 Recommended Operating Conditions and Supply Currents," I see "Signal stage supply voltage (positive and negative)," whose voltage range is listed as 16-25V, with an average current specified on the next line as 40mA.

The next line is "External driver supply voltage," which seems to refer to a +only supply voltage, the current draw for which is ave. 70mA.

The 10mA max rating, from 4, for "logical inputs and buffer inputs" (= "Signal stage supply current"?) looks to refer to the +/– 15V supply input, and seems to be in error. It perhaps should read 100mA.
The first rating is what those *inputs* can handle, it is not a supply requirement. Logic circuits are often quite delicate and can only "sink" a modest current, the rating is a precaution. And the driver section is not supplied by the +-15V supply, unless I have things backwards; I haven't studied the circuit closely.

Last edited:
However, I do have a lot of noise going on in the background.

The NC400 amplifier should be dead quiet. If you hear buzzes, whistles or what have you, fix the wiring before doing any listening and certainly before offering opinions on the result. Besides, people will be more eager to help if you say "I seem to have a noise problem" than if you say "all the people on this thread are deluded religious followers". Post clear pictures of your set-up, there are enough smart cookies round here who can point out what's wrong.

---------------------------------

With regards to supply current:
The Vsigs, as per heading 5 (titled "Recommended operating conditions and supply currents"), draw 40mA. The 10mA in the table above is not related to the supply current.

I'd like to repeat that my UCD180ST is almost dead quiet with 83dB/W/m speakers. I have to turn the volume all the way up to hear some noise, ear against tweeter. I know its objective performance and I'm not expecting an amp which is way better objectively to be any noisier. to me it is impossible that there's any noise at all coming from an amp measuring like that.
just like Bruno said, posting stuff like that (which to me is incredible) is just feeding the naysayers.

Last edited:
Bruno,

You actually suggested this kind of setup for impatient people earlier in this thread. Several people did that with good results. It is not your call to tell me to shut up, not here.

As for my post – I made an effort trying to make my feedback on the sound as non-offensive as possible and make clear that A) I work with a temporary setup that and B) I am fully aware that my experience is just my experience. I also never sad nor suggested that "all the people on this thread are deluded religious followers". Please be fair enough to refer to what I actually wrote.

At this point I’m not looking for help. As I said, the wiring was correct but not ideal, I will integrate the amplifiers and report back.

Best Regards
Sven

Last edited:
Most people who tried the impatient setup had no noise problems. You do. So there must be another problem, which will not become obvious until the details of your wiring become known. You cannot simply say that you have wired it as I proposed, because errors and misunderstandings can and do happen.

I cannot but read into your feedback post that you are already attributing the sound quality issues you are experiencing to the amplifier. Why otherwise complain about the fact that most people here are really enthusiastic. It's as though you are already making no allowances for the possibility that once you fix the error, you might end up being just as happy.

Bruno,

I wasn’t complaining about enthusiasm at all (in fact I said there is a huge amount of credible and positive feedback), I was complaining about how “not completely positive feedback” is sometimes being handled in this thread. A thought that I had the first time long before I actually bought the amps.

I will post pictures of my “bread board” tonight. I agree that there might be something wrong and I actually wrote into my feedback post that I suppose the noise will go down once properly integrated.

Please be assured that I have in no way a negative attitude. On the contrary, I am looking forward to put them together correctly and test them more thoroughly. Don’t we all want to be happy. ;);)

Thanks & Regards
Sven

I was complaining about how “not completely positive feedback” is sometimes being handled in this thread.
Ah thx that clarifies a few things - I recognize what you're saying, though I think this might have been amplified by one particular member who's hell-bent on polarizing the whole discussion. Anyhow, let's see if we can get people's attention concentrated on getting the noise problem out of the way.

At this point I’m not looking for help. As I said, the wiring was correct but not ideal, I will integrate the amplifiers and report back.

Best Regards
Sven

You should be able to get the expected performance from the 'impatient setup' and shouldn't need to box everything up.

Try shorting the amp inputs and see what 'noise' there is
Otherwise a simple revision to wiring layout should sort things out. you should get all the performance you'd expect even on a breadboard.
If you can't sort it on the breadboard then there may problems with your modules so it's probably worth the effort of sorting things out before you go to all the effort of casing things up

A photo of your layout would help

Can't resist the urge to post something about my ncore's aswell now :rolleyes:

I dont think they are for everyone, they are extremely revealing and clean sounding which means everything not exactly right in your system becomes magnified including your source material. Just as an example playing cd's from "artists" like Yello is interesting on the ncore's.
The older cd's suddenly sound veiled/grainy/dirty, the newer ones like "Touch" sound clean, well not clean but "cleaned up" they clearly reveil all sorts of electronic sampling artifacts/distortion, they all just dont sound good at all tbh. Very good recordings sound spectaculair, some well done live recordings sound definately more like the real thing then before, well recorded drums are jawdropping real sounding, distortion/ground hums from (recorded ) guitar amps are coming through full force though which can be cool but also somewhat annoying.

So anyway I think you liking the ncore's or not is for a very big part dependant on the quality of your recordings (and front-end I guess).

Also I cant hear anything from my tweeters (scanspeak illuminator beryllium), really totally dead silent.

I do have one complaint, they are lacking some power for me, I've managed to get them to turn off but my room is acoustically treated, reflection points well dampened which tends to make you turn up the volume a little more from now and then.

Status
Not open for further replies.