Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right, I forgot about that factor, but it is also true that if the room is increasing bass it is also raising Q.

In a corner it is 9 db. I would like to see which speakers and placement of them for the people who praise the NCORE .

And once again : I think the N Core is a very good amp but as all other Klass D amps the bass is not for me. I like tight bass nevertheless . 0,1 ohm at the output and it is ok. ;)

In a corner it is 9 db. I would like to see which speakers and placement of them for the people who praise the NCORE .

And once again : I think the N Core is a very good amp but as all other Klass D amps the bass is not for me. I like tight bass nevertheless . 0,1 ohm at the output and it is ok. ;)

put a 0.1 ohm resistor on the output. Problem solved ;)

I think the N Core is a very good amp but as all other Klass D amps the bass is not for me.

I love categorial absolutes like that. But I have to ask - as you have decided class D is not for you, and you knew from the start that nCore is a class D amp, why are you reading and participating in this thread?

I like tight bass nevertheless . 0,1 ohm at the output and it is ok.

Right. In what parallel universe does increasing amp output impedance and decreasing damping factor make bass "tighter"? Maybe you should just try with longer speaker cables? 50 m might give you *really* tight bass....

Right. In what parallel universe does increasing amp output impedance and decreasing damping factor make bass "tighter"? Maybe you should just try with longer speaker cables? 50 m might give you *really* tight bass....[/QUOTE]

Actually longer cable runs often improve low end articulation, so your advice might be better than it originally was intended to be :D
-It of course depends on the cable and the rest of the system for sure.
MIT mimics this effect by building in a bunch of filter slopes which individual sets of electrical parameters imitate different cable lengths´ articulation points...

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
It took me a while to count them, but your signature line has one pair too many of dipole woofers...

Question, do you bi- or quad-wire? I've always thought independent runs for each driver to be good for parallel drivers. Are all the woofers parallel, or do you run them series-parallel?

And now I wish to discuss the subject of bass, clearly a tender one for you. Isn't it time to increase the LF output of your system?

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, that's about three SQUARE METERS of diaphragm.

In America, such systems only appear in trucks. The logic of that, however, is a topic for our next appointment.

Hey...are you playing the 1812 Overture now? My house is shaking!

Ch-ch..e..e..rszz

I almost lost count of them woofers myself. :D

I run four woofers on each NC400, wired in parallell. The resulting impedance is roughly 2 ohms. Wiring is separate for each driver, call it quad-wiring of you want. I use 6mm2 wires, and they are less than a meter long, since the amp is placed inside the woofer H-baffles.

The famous 1812 on Telarc is a killer, even for my system. Being dipole, it simply can't reproduce those 6 Hz cannons. No way. It even struggles with 20 Hz. Yes, I have 3 sq meters of woofer, but subsonic bass with dipoles is almost impossible. That is the truth, sadly. But then the quality of the bass we can get with dipoles is unmatched.

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
No. I have flat response to 20 Hz, and that is good enough.

I did try to use closed box subs with dipoles, but it just didnt sound right. Dipoles and boxed speakers are very hard to integrate seamlessly, as they sound different and their behaviour in the room is very different.

Well.... I've noticed the opposite so it might just be a matter of personal preference?

And the type and quality of the cable that is used.
- My guess is that it is most significant with inductive cables and probably less so with capacitive cables. (the later I generally avoid so have less experience with them)

The technical reasons fro why some cables improve low end performance with increased lengths is not a scientifically settled debate, so we are unfortunately left with more or less "qualified" guessing here.

My humble guess is that it could be a product of increased cable parameters such as L and C which together increase the power factor of the cable (C*L -if i remember correctly). This essentially means that the cable stores more energy which again likely relates to how this energy is released and thus influence the transmitted signal. More energy typically gives slower (or prolonged) release of the energy which could be one reason for why longer often cables sound quite different in balance from top to bottom although their theoretical roll off shouldn´t be audible below 20kHz.

Another thought is that there is a relation between the sheer length of the conductors in the cable and the progression of the electrical "wave fronts" (-the signal). A somewhat similar effect to that of larger rooms having better articulated lows than smaller rooms - The dimensions of the room condition the progression of acoustic wave fronts and room pressures where smaller dimensions (lengths between the boundaries of the room) means that the room effects are moved up in frequency.

Humble guessing and listening only, - no measurements - so please carry on if that is what you look for :)

No. I have flat response to 20 Hz, and that is good enough.

I did try to use closed box subs with dipoles, but it just didnt sound right. Dipoles and boxed speakers are very hard to integrate seamlessly, as they sound different and their behaviour in the room is very different.

I also think 20hz is adequate and will probably build some dipole subs for my application as well. Need to search for images of your system, I have to see that.

I would like to see which speakers and placement of them for the people who praise the NCORE .

It looks a bit better now as this was a year ago but you get the idea...raw no smoothing.

Attachments

• Fully System_3-13-11.png
    Fully System_3-13-11.png
    44.2 KB · Views: 612
No, very impressive! And with your comments, puts a stamp on the notion that to achieve ultra low OB bass in a home setting is nearly impossible. I didn't believe it before. Thanks.

I have been experimenting with OB and OB bass recently.
Mid-high is definitely OB, 98 dB efficient with TPL150 tweeter.
At the end I just don't get fully in terms with OB bass (bandwidth is OK, miniDSP equalized); for the majority of music, especially small scale, it works great with all the benefits of OB sound, the room interface, and the lack of enclosure coloration.
But I also like larger scale (symphonic) music, and in that respect I too often miss that very last bit of weight; the feeling of "pressure" at bass attacks as can be experienced in the concert hall is just not quite there with the OB bass.
For me it works OK for 80%, but I want that last bit too; it looks like I will extend OB down as much as possible, but will try a low tuned bass reflex for the lowest two octaves, up to 80 Hz or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.