Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Q is around 0, 28 . Low Q is very tight bass.
Combination with the very tight bass from N Core results in almost no bass .

Then raise your system Q; 0.5 is already maximally damped; 0.7 is flat; lower than 0.5 does not make sense and cuts the bass, the loudspeaker is badly tuned.
You can't blame the amplifier.
Any amplifier with decent damping factor will give you a bass shy sound with a 0.28 Q system.

Last edited:
Q is around 0, 28 . Low Q is very tight bass.
Combination with the very tight bass from N Core results in almost no bass .

is this the total Q of a sealed box ?

If it is then you either need to redesign your speaker or increase the effective output impedance of the amplifier or even use a tube amp !! It certainly is no fault of the ncore or any other amp with low output impedance !!

I just thought I'd provide an update to say that since I ran the 3V recalibration a few weeks ago I have had no issues with my modules. I'm still using the MDF mock-up cases though as the proper ones haven't been completed yet. That said, I've made up shielded internal mains cabling and shorter SMPS to NCore cables and experimented with LEDs and resistors in the meantime so there will be very little for me to do once the cases are complete. I've also made up some more speaker cables so they are now tri-wired. Sound quality is superb I might add.

I just thought I'd provide an update to say that since I ran the 3V recalibration a few weeks ago I have had no issues with my modules. I'm still using the MDF mock-up cases though as the proper ones haven't been completed yet. That said, I've made up shielded internal mains cabling and shorter SMPS to NCore cables and experimented with LEDs and resistors in the meantime so there will be very little for me to do once the cases are complete. I've also made up some more speaker cables so they are now tri-wired. Sound quality is superb I might add.

Great work!

Do you have any subjective assessment on the audible effects of your experiments?

...I use four NC400 + SMPS600 to drive my sixteen 21" dipole woofers.
It took me a while to count them, but your signature line has one pair too many of dipole woofers...

Question, do you bi- or quad-wire? I've always thought independent runs for each driver to be good for parallel drivers. Are all the woofers parallel, or do you run them series-parallel?

And now I wish to discuss the subject of bass, clearly a tender one for you. Isn't it time to increase the LF output of your system?

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, that's about three SQUARE METERS of diaphragm.

In America, such systems only appear in trucks. The logic of that, however, is a topic for our next appointment.

Hey...are you playing the 1812 Overture now? My house is shaking!

Ch-ch..e..e..rszz

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.