Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I said earlier, I did read those sections but didn't see what I was looking for, which was an explicit statement about speaker protection.

Reading it again I see that such can indeed be concluded.

Interesting revelation about the hazards of speaker protection relays, given the millions of them out there.

Thanks

This question is answered once every 100 pages of this thread or so. The gist of it is, as spelled out in sections 7.2 and 8.1 of the data sheet, use a supply that shuts down when pin 5 of the power connector is pulled low. This pin is pulled low when the NC400 finds the speaker output stuck at a high voltage.

With bi-amping you could have a NC400 dedicated to the bass driver.
From my experience getting rid of the external crossover does wonders for true-ribbon Maggies.

I would think this is the best way to use two NC400 with true-ribbon Maggies, instead of bridging the two-amps and then going through a cross-over.

Roger,
Nice speakers, but maggies with 85db sensitivity aks for more.
Considering to bridge Ncore's.
Do you or anyone else have experience with that?

Jerry

Sensible...

:rolleyes: Lets see if the SMPS is better . In 2 weeks we will try. I do not believe Bruno is God as the rest of you.

Unfortunately, if the test is solely based on subjective listening, it will be easy for anyone to conclude that the linear supply used is coloring the sound, and the effect is found to be euphonic in nature (whether that is true or not).
Also, there are many ways to design and build a linear supply, and one test with one supply may not be definitive.
It would be very interesting if someone who has the capability could measure the SMPS 600 under realistic load conditions, and then do the same for a well built linear supply. I would love to see how the SMPS 600 tracks varying load needs, and what its noise spectrum looks like under a real world load, and then be able to compare that with a linear supply under the same conditions.

In any case Erlend, I look forward to hearing about what you think.

Interesting revelation about the hazards of speaker protection relays, given the millions of them out there.

Thanks

That is why Peter Walker put this in his Quad 405 design:

Attachments

• AMP_405.jpg
    AMP_405.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 583
It would be very interesting if someone who has the capability could measure the SMPS 600 under realistic load conditions, and then do the same for a well built linear supply. I would love to see how the SMPS 600 tracks varying load needs, and what its noise spectrum looks like under a real world load, and then be able to compare that with a linear supply under the same conditions.

Pretty odd that the same issue is under discussion at the Wire Amp thread, where after a good bench test of AP2's SMPS the guys there seem to condemn linear power supplies because these impair sound quality because of amp output voltage sag under transient loads. The fact that normal efficiency domestic loudspeakers suffer quite a bit more from dynamic compression than a well designed amplifier is not relevant anymore apparently :(

Pretty odd that the same issue is under discussion at the Wire Amp thread, where after a good bench test of AP2's SMPS the guys there seem to condemn linear power supplies because these impair sound quality because of amp output voltage sag under transient loads. The fact that normal efficiency domestic loudspeakers suffer quite a bit more from dynamic compression than a well designed amplifier is not relevant anymore apparently :(

When was that ever relevant?

Are you sure?? I ordered mine end March for wk 18 delivery. I have now been put back twice without an explanation. Still hoping for a delivery this week but still no news. Wouldn't mind so much if Hypex didnt take a 100% upfront payment.

This is a classic "chicken-egg" affair.

Hypex' current business/marketing plan is very simple. Hypex fill confirmed, fully prepaid orders.

The sole alternative is to predict with unknown and unknowable accuracy "anticipated" or "expected" orders. In the latter case, every amp manufactures with investor money and said amp may or may not find an end user home.

In either case above, it is impossible to manufacture amps at the exact rate equal to end user purchase rate. Hypex either has back orders to fill or amps sitting on a shelf only eating up floor space and investor money, which space and time must reflect in end user price paid.

Did you want to pay about $1500/pair and wait, or $2000 per pair with no wait. I'll take the former.

Which do you think is a better business plan for all concerned?

Most or all of us would like life different than it is.

The world's most desired products are not readily available to purchase new, at least not at consistent known prices. Ferrari, hand made instruments take up to many years (one classical guitar maker has a 12 year lead time). That's life.

Last edited:

Good point. Reminds me of the sheer lunacy of conversations about "fast" vs. "slow" woofers when bass timing is about 10,000 x more dependent on modal effects, as long as all the bass systems being compared are properly tuned. Similar to: 8" woofer "faster" than a 12" woofer...which is like suggesting a thinner low-E string on a guitar would be "quicker" and hence "better". Insanity almost?

But back to your point. What is approximate minimum speaker sensitivity to avoid audible thermal compression?

But back to your point. What is approximate minimum speaker sensitivity to avoid audible thermal compression?

Compression is a complex phenomenon; difficult to illustrate with numbers (even our hearing system has built in "protection" to compress sound when necessary).
At the other thread someone came up with a modern 98 dB efficient 18 inch woofer which specifies only 1.8 dB compression at its 800 watt maximum power level (seems not too easy to measure anyway IMO).
More realistic (lower efficiency; smaller) domestic systems will have higher rates of dynamic compression, and a good quality amplifier will not be the limiting factor in this regard IMO.

With bi-amping you could have a NC400 dedicated to the bass driver.
From my experience getting rid of the external crossover does wonders for true-ribbon Maggies.

I would think this is the best way to use two NC400 with true-ribbon Maggies, instead of bridging the two-amps and then going through a cross-over.

From today I know that 1 NC400 + SMPS600 per channel on 3.6R (modified passive X-over) works perfectly! I think the Maggies will blow up before the NCores will clip... (but I am not sure on this ;) ) Either way, for me it's loud enough. Even when you consider you can listen quite loud for a long time without any "listening fatigue" with those ams.

Perhaps it sounds a bit boring, but this amp is amazingly good. (and I have heard a lot of amps) Before hearing them I thought of some comparison tests with my Marantz SM-11S1 (which is not a bad amp), but after listening to them for 5 hours now, I don't want to go back....

P.S. After reading some "horror stories" I was a bit afraid to get into trouble with those amps, but I have to say that they worked perfectly from the first time I have powered them up. I am using balanced cabling to my (AudioNote DAC4.1X) DAC.

Last edited:
Compression is a complex phenomenon; difficult to illustrate with numbers (even our hearing system has built in "protection" to compress sound when necessary).
At the other thread someone came up with a modern 98 dB efficient 18 inch woofer which specifies only 1.8 dB compression at its 800 watt maximum power level (seems not too easy to measure anyway IMO).
More realistic (lower efficiency; smaller) domestic systems will have higher rates of dynamic compression, and a good quality amplifier will not be the limiting factor in this regard IMO.

The Question is whether that means that one necessarily masks the other.

As you say compression is a very complex phenomenon :)
- Maybe exactly that thought should be taken into consideration.

Compression of speakers and compression of amps are probably such different creatures that they shouldn´t be compared without any proper consideration ;)

cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.