Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get what's happening (= I forgot :eek: ), is the danger that he would exceed the voltage limits for his input stage, so he has dropped his rail voltage to provide it directly? Zeners with a cap bypass would surely work, but I understand Erlend wanting to find the cleanest possible source. He could use a IC regulator or precision voltage source...if there were room for that...But if the voltage simply feeds regulators like the HxRs, which have an incredibly high PSRR, your zener/cap suggestion would be as clean as anybody could want.

Yes, I am assuming there is some sort of regulation on the nc400, but the specs don't cite any rejection ratio for the input stage, so can't verify...

Also wondering about your resistor woes...obviously you measured for shorts and opens both within and near the resistor afterwards.

Well, I removed the resistor - so there *should* be an open - but as I don't have a circuit diagram, it is hard to know what and where to measure.

I've had stray fibers of copper do a job on a circuit, then disappear with a good shake or compressed air. Do you think a semiconductor was blown from the incident? When I see a total collapse with no visible damage, that's what I suspect next.

It is of course possible that some temporary short has damaged something, but I still suspect thermal damage to the intermediate layers of the PCB - it seems to be at least a 4-layer one.

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
This is my "scoope":

310m.jpg

Tektronix model 310, about 60 years old.

Going to order this case from protocase soon. Is there anything Ive forgotten? I have made a cut out for a on off switch beneath the case in front Primare-style.
The case is 30x30x7cm and for two nc400 and two smps600s. Now I gotta just wait for the actual electronics to arrive, hopefully next batch.

Attachments

• Skjermbilde 2012-04-12 kl. 13.03.48.png
    Skjermbilde 2012-04-12 kl. 13.03.48.png
    58.2 KB · Views: 683
Yes, I am assuming there is some sort of regulation on the nc400, but the specs don't cite any rejection ratio for the input stage, so can't verify...

Bruno has said specifically that he uses the HxR regulators on board, and if I remember correctly he talks about the psrr of the input stage in his notes previously cited.

Also the data for the NC400 give the psrr of the complete unit, not insignificant at 80db typ for 1khz. Remember most are specd at 60 or 120hz which is usually considerably better than 1KHz. The input stage can't be any worse than that.

At a minimum they will certainly work fine with zener protected (limited) signal stage rails. Which I would say is better than shutting down from overvoltage.

Alan

Last edited:
...I still suspect thermal damage to the intermediate layers of the PCB - it seems to be at least a 4-layer one.
I hope you get your last channel either working or replaced soon, you should have an incredible system at the end!
Great link!
...the psrr of the complete unit, not insignificant at 80db typ for 1khz...The input stage can't be any worse than that.
Ah, right (smacks head)! Thanks.
At a minimum they will certainly work fine with zener protected (limited) signal stage rails. Which I would say is better than shutting down from overvoltage.
QFT

I've been playing now a few days with my NCore's on my new XTZ loudspeakers. Type 99.38 MKii as front and read loudspeakers and a type 99.36 MKii as center speaker. I really enjoy the sound. Very tight controlled bass and superb clarity.
This week I also listened to an Ayon Spirit III tube amplifier. A major difference is really the lack of control the tube amplifier had in the Bass region. Not my type of sound.
I'm really happy that for the same amount of money you can buy an Ayon Spirit III stereo tube amp I bought all the components for my 5 NCore's.

No, didn't use a microscope, but a 8x magnifying glass - pretty sure there are no solder bridges.

As an update - Jos Wolthuis from Hypex very kindly provided me with a picture of the hidden layers of PC tracks around R141, and using that I tried to bridge around the damaged solder pad - unfortunately unsuccessfully. So project on hold until I get a replacement from the next batch...

I've been playing now a few days with my NCore's on my new XTZ loudspeakers. Type 99.38 MKii as front and read loudspeakers and a type 99.36 MKii as center speaker. I really enjoy the sound. Very tight controlled bass and superb clarity.
This week I also listened to an Ayon Spirit III tube amplifier. A major difference is really the lack of control the tube amplifier had in the Bass region. Not my type of sound.
I'm really happy that for the same amount of money you can buy an Ayon Spirit III stereo tube amp I bought all the components for my 5 NCore's.

The ncore is supposed to be the best amplifier in the world, even better than linear amps. And all you say is superb clarity. Is that all? Is it just marketing again?

Status
Not open for further replies.