Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, 0.5V is only 0.06W into 4 ohm, and only goes to the woofer, as the mid and tweeter have a capacitor in the crossover that cuts off the DC.

And the - side of the battery was connected to ground?

Guess I need a ground to close the circuit.

Just did some more testing with everything connected and tried some music playback... When I stopped playback and measured the outputs it was 0.88VDC at idle.

EDIT - if I remove the xlr cable coming from dac to amp it drops back to 0.5VDC

Last edited:
I know this won't help you right now, but I think it is good to remember that the nc400 is not a kit, nor a product for consumers. Hypex is in the business of making modules (components) for OEM's to integrate into their products. We are lucky that they have kindly provided a way for us ordinary hobbyists to buy the modules. But as any component, it is up to us, as "system integrators/manufacturers" (even if we only make on amplifier) to understand the data sheets and specifications of the components/modules provided by the module manufacturer. And calling the component "hysteric" and getting tired of it is about as helpful as kicking a bicycle and calling it stupid if you don't know how to fix a flat tyre.

So, aside from any technical advice, I really suggest taking the old but true quotation from "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" to heart: "Assemby of japanese bicycle requires great peace of mind".

Julf,

Excellent! That is good for us all to remember when things don't go as planned!

Just checked, the "ground" on the J1 connector is an output, does that mean the - of the battery just gets connected to the chassis for a "ground" in order for the standby to work?

Well, yes, the ground on J1 is marked as output, but it is really just ground. So that's where you connect the - of the battery. But which ground is your chassis connected to?

Thanks Julf. I'll use that setup once I get everything sorted out with my amps. Thanks for all the help.

one of the things I noted in your photos was the painted/finished chassis.

Make sure the finish is removed under the mating surfaces of the ground connections, such as the metal post on the power supply and were the other connectors attach, if possible use a multimeter to measure the resistance and make sure it is low, this can be a hidden problem that can cause oddities that don't seem to make sense.

also connect the pin 1 on the xlr to the lug next to it on the connector, it is a point to connect with minimal length to the chassis to prevent rfi (not one of your current problems)

I use the nAMPon wire to mute the amp and it works quite nicely, remember this amp only takes approx 5 watts when sitting unused in idle.

Alan

Alan are you referring to the unused tab on the xlr connector to ground the metal body?

Also all paint/anodizing was removed to the bare aluminum for the 2 chassis connectors at the xlr. I didn't remove anything on the one metal leg of the power supply though, it looked totally isolated from the rest of the board.

Alan are you referring to the unused tab on the xlr connector to ground the metal body?

correct

Also all paint/anodizing was removed to the bare aluminum for the 2 chassis connectors at the xlr. I didn't remove anything on the one metal leg of the power supply though, it looked totally isolated from the rest of the board.

nope, its the chassis ground connection for the psu

No I used unbalanced as in figure 4 i chapter 12.3.2 Hardbonded RCAs and no mains earth.
Kjartan

What on earth is this ? It is not possible to post reply without Quote ! ???

Well now I mounted the XLR and still no sound. Could it be because its impossible without the SMPS supply ?
I use 2x65 V for the output and 2x22 vdc for the input section. Ground from the opamp supply is coupled to the ground on the output supply !

What on earth is this ? It is not possible to post reply without Quote ! ???

Yes it is. Using the "Post reply" button in the lower left corner.

Well now I mounted the XLR and still no sound. Could it be because its impossible without the SMPS supply ?
I use 2x65 V for the output and 2x22 vdc for the input section. Ground from the opamp supply is coupled to the ground on the output supply !

So, let's just check your connections. Your 2x65 V is connected to pins 1 and 2 (+), 7 and 8 (-) and 3, 4, 9 and 10 (ground), and the 2x22 V is connected to pin 6 (+), pin 12 (-) and 3, 4, 9 and 10 (ground) on J7? And pin 2 on the XLR is connected to pin 1 on J9 (+in), pin 3 on the XLR is connected to pin 2 on J9 (-in) and pin 1 on the XLR to chassis/ground? And finally - pin 3 on J9 (nAMPON) is connected to ground?

Have you measured that your 65V and 22V supplies are within limits even under load?

I just redid my chassis, made sure all ground connections were good on the smps leg and xlr connectors and made sure there is very low resistance between all the pieces of the chassis that are screwed together and i'm still getting > 0.5VDC at the outputs with and without the xlr from dac connected and with and without the wires hooked up to the speakers!

I just redid my chassis, made sure all ground connections were good on the smps leg and xlr connectors and made sure there is very low resistance between all the pieces of the chassis that are screwed together and i'm still getting > 0.5VDC at the outputs with and without the xlr from dac connected and with and without the wires hooked up to the speakers!

what did you end up doing with the nAMPon wire?

what is the offset with the nAMPon open?

Alan

what did you end up doing with the nAMPon wire?

what is the offset with the nAMPon open?

Alan

nampon wire is permanently connected to pin1/case ground. By offset are you referring to voltage difference on the output with the wire grounded and ungrounded? If so I believe it was a 0.2V difference. I'm not home though so I cannot verify, I will double check later though.

Yes it is. Using the "Post reply" button in the lower left corner.

I did !

So, let's just check your connections. Your 2x65 V is connected to pins 1 and 2 (+), 7 and 8 (-) and 3, 4, 9 and 10 (ground), and the 2x22 V is connected to pin 6 (+), pin 12 (-) and 3, 4, 9 and 10 (ground) on J7? And pin 2 on the XLR is connected to pin 1 on J9 (+in), pin 3 on the XLR is connected to pin 2 on J9 (-in) and pin 1 on the XLR to chassis/ground? And finally - pin 3 on J9 (nAMPON) is connected to ground?

Have you measured that your 65V and 22V supplies are within limits even under load?

Yes Yes Yes Yes to everything.
But but but my gnd on the 2 x 65 is not connected to the chassis.

Status
Not open for further replies.