Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you using the SMPS600, or some other power supply? The SMPS600 has a SMPS standby input.

It also sounds like you have some DC on your DAC output. Have you measured the DC component on the output?

i'm using a smps600. So if it has a standby it is fine not powering the amp down at all? Even without switching the nampon off? I just don't like the loud noise I get when I shut off the dac with the amp on.

I have not measured anything, where the heck on my dac would I measure for DC, i'm using xlr for outputs.

i'm using a smps600. So if it has a standby it is fine not powering the amp down at all? Even without switching the nampon off?

Yes - turn the amp off by using the smps600 standby input.

I have not measured anything, where the heck on my dac would I measure for DC, i'm using xlr for outputs.

You can measure the DC at the amp output - it is DC coupled, so any DC offset at the DAC output will be amplified as well. The DAC should have an output capacitor to isolate any DC bias from the output, but that is a *should* - not all DACs do.

Seems like I am the only one who can not like SMPS . I use Transformers and caps/

For emotional/religiuous/ethical reasons? :)

So my next question is what to do with the lead from pin 5 on the J 7 ( n fatal : Catastrophic fault indication, inverse of internal FATAL bit )

Cannot find anything in the Datasheet about this.

Haver a look at paragraph 8.1. nFATAL is pulled down if the amp stops oscillating and outputs a large DC - if you do your own power supply, you need to react to nFATAL by either turning off the amp/power supply, or switching out the speakers. Or you could use your speakers as very expensive fuses :)

Ok I just looked at the standby thing, hadn't even looked at that extra connector for the smps, didn't think I needed it. pin 1 & 2 are the standby and it says that it's normally closed, so if I put them on a switch does joining the two leads put the amp in standby and breaking the connection turns it on?

Ok I just looked at the standby thing, hadn't even looked at that extra connector for the smps, didn't think I needed it. pin 1 & 2 are the standby and it says that it's normally closed, so if I put them on a switch does joining the two leads put the amp in standby and breaking the connection turns it on?

No, the "N/C" for pin 2 is "Not Connected". You need to apply a voltage between 3.3 and 12 V to turn the power supply off. I am taking it from my preamp, so that the power amps turn on/off in sync with the preamp.

P.S. just a reminder - I do not represent hypex in any way. My advice is purely based on my own experience and reading the technical specifications. YMMV. OIRVMMACTTA.

When everything is on, as normal, but no music playing. There should not be more than 50 mV (0.05V) at the output. If you have more, you need an input capacitor.

****, I just measured, I have 0.48VDC at the output! That's ten times more then what you are saying I should have!

What would be causing this? Is there a way to fix it without an input capacitor?

No, the "N/C" for pin 2 is "Not Connected". You need to apply a voltage between 3.3 and 12 V to turn the power supply off. I am taking it from my preamp, so that the power amps turn on/off in sync with the preamp.

P.S. just a reminder - I do not represent hypex in any way. My advice is purely based on my own experience and reading the technical specifications. YMMV. OIRVMMACTTA.

I realize you don't represent hypex but I do appreciate your advice and help.

With regards to the standby, is there any place to get that required voltage from smps? I'd hate to have to put another connector on my chassis or run another wire from who knows where just to put it into standby. Would be nice to keep everything inside the chassis with maybe just adding a simple toggle switch on the back or a push button on the front.

I just disconnected the input from my dac and still had 0.48VDC at the amp output with nothing connected but the speakers and my 120VAC input??

Edit - Alright just did some more testing, with no cable from dac to amp I still had 0.48VDC, as soon as I disconnect the 4 pin cable to the ncore I have 0V. So some how i'm getting DC on the output just from my chassis mount XLR connector without any external cable attached?

Last edited:
For emotional/religiuous/ethical reasons? :)

Haver a look at paragraph 8.1. nFATAL is pulled down if the amp stops oscillating and outputs a large DC - if you do your own power supply, you need to react to nFATAL by either turning off the amp/power supply, or switching out the speakers. Or you could use your speakers as very expensive fuses :)

Thank Mr. Julf :)

Well this with oscillating and dc will not happen so I will forget that.

I have connected evrything in the right mannor and there is still no sound. I can measure a very small signal with my voltmeter at the output and also hear a very small signal in the speakers.

My cabinet is wood at the input and metal for the rest. Maybe this is the reason ? In the datasheet it is recommended that the RCA is not isolated ! For what reason ?
This is really an hysteric amplifier and I am tired of it allready.
Also there could be a explanation for the different red leds. On of them is separated from the rest, what is that used for ?

Thank Mr. Julf :)

Well this with oscillating and dc will not happen so I will forget that.

I have connected evrything in the right mannor and there is still no sound. I can measure a very small signal with my voltmeter at the output and also hear a very small signal in the speakers.

My cabinet is wood at the input and metal for the rest. Maybe this is the reason ? In the datasheet it is recommended that the RCA is not isolated ! For what reason ?
This is really an hysteric amplifier and I am tired of it allready.
Also there could be a explanation for the different red leds. On of them is separated from the rest, what is that used for ?
double check the way you've wired your (rca ?) input and what you've done with nampon

There's no way the material you've used for the case will be the cause - unless, as a consequence, some of the connections aren't being made correctly.

The leds aren't indicators. they're components within the voltage regulators. It's just a coincidence that they also light up :)

Can somebody please verify my connections.

IMG_1903.jpg

I had the nampon wire connected with the bare wires at the xlr connectors that are attached to the case. 0.5VDC on outputs even with the cable from the dac completely unplugged.

double check the way you've wired your (rca ?) input and what you've done with nampon

There's no way the material you've used for the case will be the cause - unless, as a consequence, some of the connections aren't being made correctly.

The leds aren't indicators. they're components within the voltage regulators. It's just a coincidence that they also light up :)

Yes I know leds sometimes is used as components but maybe one of them is an indicator.

I have tried the Nampon to power supply ground and also now to the ground at the RCA input together with the shield and pin 2. Pin 1 is to the hot at RCA.

Status
Not open for further replies.