Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
DLCP

Yes I know, I read that thread some months back :). Hence my description of this as the 2nd beta. If you want, call this the 'Release Candidate' (to copy from Microsoft) but a lot can change and a lot of time can pass between RC and production.

The major cause of delay was the software, confirmed by Hypex on the above forum. And they wanted to do some tweaks on the board. The software issue will be solved by now ( see the Grimm LS1). I do not think they will do a second betatest, only a 0 series batch for early adaptors......
We'll see.
I don't see a difference between '0 series batch for early adaptors' and beta. Anything found by these 'early adaptors' would be revised prior to production, so it still feels like a beta to me.
And I still don't interpret Jan-Peter's posts as an announcement of imminent production

Once again
... patience :)

On Monday my 5 NCore's and 5 SMPS600 arrived. :D

Here is a picture before the assembly of the first amplifier started:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Currently I'm waiting, hopefully tomorrow, for a hole cutter suitable to fit a XLR-chassis plug. So I can tomorrow evening progress on assembly of the first amplifier and do some testing with it. If everything works okay than the remaining 4 will be assembled early next week. (I'm going on a weekend trip with 3 friends without wife and children. That is something I don't want to miss...)

Definitely I would like to have finished them before my new speakers arrive. 4* XTZ 99.38 MKII and 1* XTZ 99.36 MKII. :hbeat:

Just need a confirmation please, if I am putting all this in one case, then I only need one smps for the two nc400's, and there is zero degradation in performance in doing so, correct?

There is degradation in total power. The SMPS600 is a 600W supply, so if both amps are working equally hard, you will only get 2 x 300W output (as opposed to 2 x 400W if you have separate supplies for each amp).

There is degradation in total power. The SMPS600 is a 600W supply, so if both amps are working equally hard, you will only get 2 x 300W output (as opposed to 2 x 400W if you have separate supplies for each amp).
True only if your signal is a highest-level, in-phase high-duty-cycle signal = unlistenable test signal. For a more typical music signal, the addition of each channel drops the max output voltage by an amount related to the crest factor of the signal.

Start worrying after 4-6 channels...and adding filter caps is an option, or would be if there were room for them. If you want better channel separation, well above the absolute floor of 85dB PSRR, you should get more PSs.

Last edited:
+1 for Marchand http://marchandelec.com
http://marchandelec.com

I did not hear any coloration with MG3.3 and MG3.6 and I heard incredible improvement especially on the bass but also on the mid-highs.

I had ordered from them an XM9 and a bunch of mounted resistors to be able to experiment with a range of crossover frequencies.

Interestingly I was only able to satisfactorily match it with a REL subwoofer after I got rid of the original passive crossover. Before bi-amping the magic did not happen.

The Bryston 10B Sub has the identical asymetric point/slope options as the Magnepan 3.6's and is referenced without being spefically named in the Maggie 3.6 manual.

The DEQX HDP-3 and HDP-4 add speaker and room correction (analog or digital in and analog or digital out).

The Marchand kits can be bought pre-assembled or DIY.

I should be specific. I mean, one NC400 with one SMPS is capable of a consistent 400 watts, no? Because I have heard otherwise that it might actually be less. Just wondering.

Consistent, yes, constant, no. :)

The numbers in the SMPS600 documentation are pretty clear. 550/575W into 4 ohm for 90 s, 400/430W for 5 min, and 240/275W continuous. You probably won't be going full power signal (not just volume at full, but a full amplitude signal as well) for more than 5 minutes...

N Core 400 pin 11 Help

HI I have a problem . I am trying to get finnished with the N Core for tomorrow night meeting in our HiFi club in Copenhagen.

I have a problem with the pin 11 on the J 7 . Where do I connect this ?

I have C Core 990 W transformers in each monoblok. With 2x 46 V ac and 2x 17 V ac output. Do I have to use another transformer for pin 11 ? And if how do I connect that.

Hope I get ready for tomorrow night ! :(

Hi Erlend,

It's optional to feed pin 11 externally the datasheet tells: *This voltage is not monitored. Either use a floating supply or leave unconnected. Under no
circumstance should this pin be connected to GND or to a supply that references ground.

Below 16V the internal regulator takes over.

I think I also have read something in this topic about this extrenal driver supply voltage. Does it keep the temperature at idle lower? I don't remember...

Good luck with the build!

Mark.

First NCore ready

Hi just finished my first NCore and it worked immediately! Here is a picture with the cover of the case still off.

Next week I'll build the remaining 4 and than can connect them to my Arcam AVR350.. :D

For me the most difficult part was drilling/punching the hole for the XLR plug. Assembly of an SMPS600 and NCore400 is really easy. Just read the enclosed manual. (Nearly as easy as assembling an Ikea cupboard. ;)).

Sure - I was just being conservative and going for the worst case scenario.
Ah, yes I'm that way too. *IF* I finally ever decide to buy some Hypex amps, I'll look at vertical bi-amping. I would like to keep the left and right channels of my amps and supplies totally separate. I'll need to split my interconnects with three wires emerging from each preamp output channel. Some cable makers like Purist Audio will build custom cables this way. Or I could go all active with the Hypex DSP board...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.