Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, thank you. I'll take a look. My downfall is I'm new to all this. I've built some crossovers but that's it, and I'm not an electronics major. So that can make me seem about 80 IQ to you guys :D. The pictures of the completed amp look simple enough, but shunt regulate this and should I ground to earth at the circumference X...

You guys make it sound scary.

I haven't looked at any of the material yet but I'm hoping to just order the parts I need, chassis, solder some parts, and call it good. You guys make it sound like putting together the amp is some kind of delicate surgury.

I'm completely new to this too. All I have done to date is make some speaker cables and put some mains filters in boxes but I am reasonably good at DIY in general. The hardest part is finding enclosures you are happy with and working out the layout, wiring, switching you want, whether or not you want an LED etc and sourcing the components though there are pretty much ready made options available as I understand it. Other than that there is a small amount of soldering (and/or crimping) and using the optimal wiring methods.

I need to re-read all the Hypex techncial guidance again and this thread as my main concern is getting the earthing, mains and signal wiring just right. All the information is available but I will probably make a final post to check my understanding is correct. I will probably come accross as being dumb when I do but I will just want to be absolutely sure I've understood everything correctly and my optimal wiring conclusions are right before connecting everything up.

(short version - go for it :D)

I'm completely new to this too. All I have done to date is make some speaker cables and put some mains filters in boxes but I am reasonably good at DIY in general. The hardest part is finding enclosures you are happy with and working out the layout, wiring, switching you want, whether or not you want an LED etc and sourcing the components though there are pretty much ready made options available as I understand it. Other than that there is a small amount of soldering (and/or crimping) and using the optimal wiring methods.

I need to re-read all the Hypex technical guidance again and this thread as my main concern is getting the earthing, mains and signal wiring just right. All the information is available but I will probably make a final post to check my understanding is correct. I will probably come across as being dumb when I do but I will just want to be absolutely sure I've understood everything correctly and my optimal wiring conclusions are right before connecting everything up.

(short version - go for it :D)

And we emerge! I too fall into this category and will agree that getting the case and all the cut outs sorted out has been the hardest.

Hey - it isn't a real DIY project unless you let out some of the magic smoke the first time you try turning it on! :)

How about loud bangs coming out of the speakers after you power it up, does that count? =D

That's exactly what happened to me when I first powered on my ncore with a buffalo feeding it. I panicked and sent the modules for RMA because I saw some sparks after first powering the smps modules without load and then seeing sparks when I connected the modules afterwards.

Turns out the modules were undamaged, so it's still a mystery what caused the loud bangs.

So now I have everything assembled again, and turning on the ncore with speakers connected but no source looks fine, and no bangs. Now I'm just scared connecting the buffalo dac to the ncore, because I'm guessing there's a high likelihood that the buffalo was causing the noise.

I'm using the legato 3.1 from twisted pear as the actual balanced output. The s/e part works perfectly.

So is there a way to check that the balanced output is behaving properly? Or do I have to adjust something before connecting the legato balanced to the ncore?

How about loud bangs coming out of the speakers after you power it up, does that count? =D

Sure! Congratulations - you have a real DIY project :)

So is there a way to check that the balanced output is behaving properly? Or do I have to adjust something before connecting the legato balanced to the ncore?

Sounds like you have some DC on the output of the Buffalo. I suggest you try with a couple of capacitors between the Buffalo and the nc400 - and turn on the Buffalo before you turn on the nc400.

Think they would sell me one of those cases for my Ncore monoblocks? :D
why not buy the whole thing? that way you'll get the "not enough power" expression out of your vocabulary.

looks like Bruno has a thing with curvy lines lately.

can't help but wonder, is this the second company to release an NCORE-based product Bruno was mentioning some while ago or are we yet to expect another one?

Status
Not open for further replies.