Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure exactly what you're saying but wouldn't you need to hook it up in series to double the resistance/impedance? Parallel is usually the inverse of your loads added together and then the inverse of that. So your low of 4 would be 2 ohms in parallel no?

edit - reread your post, i think you're talking about amps and not 2 separate speakers, nevermind, i have no idea then.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I've been in contact with the friendly people over at SiliconRay regarding an enclosure for NCore.
They have agreed to produce a custom run of a smaller RE3222-style chassis, if we manage to get a small batch (15-20 enclosures) ordered.

267703d1329834904-some-enclosures-chasises-we-made-re3222.jpg

I'll probably grab ~ half of those (for me and friends), so there are a few missing to reach the quota- the more the merrier of course since the batch hasn't been ordered yet. Please do let me know of potential interest so I can... put more pressure on the SiliconRay staff. :D

Factory reports a lead time of 3 weeks which I believe is acceptable (they'll begin shipping more or less around the same time as the next batch of Ncores).

The enclosure will be 200x200x120, side panels 8mm (!) thick and top/bottom ones 4mm (so internal dimensions will be ~184x184x112).
Internal panels and brackets will probably be included (still working that out).
The quality looks top notch but they've promised they'll give us more detailed pics soon.

I have attached a few variations I did regarding layouts of NCore+SMPS600 that could fit in said enclosure (using exact dimensions of course) but these are only a reference and, obviously, a subset of possible layouts and uses.
If you look carefully, at the back of the first to variations (from the left) I've sketched standard Neutrik D-Type connectors, just for size reference.

I'm still waiting on the final price but the rough estimate I got regarding price including shipping per enclosure is VERY tempting.
I'll let you know as soon as I have more info regarding price - expect something even more affordable than the abovementioned RE3222.

Attachments

• SR_200_Var.JPG
    SR_200_Var.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 718
  • Panels_Info.JPG
    Panels_Info.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 701
Last edited:
Great work The Shaman,

The chassis model you have found sure does have some pleasing visual and technical attributes and if you can get them to custom make it for specified dimensions as it seems, then I have some questions about your design.
Any particular reason for choosing those dimensions?
- One way or another those dimensions seem to be wasting a lot of air in the enclosure, and if there is something I have learned about the whole "box debate" in here that has already scared most off, it is that the box should not waste "internal air" and thereby be any bigger than needed.

If I may humbly propose (and i may be totally wrong of course...), then why not go for half height (ca. 60mm) and added depth (ca. 300 - 270mm) and maybe somewhat slimmer narrower (120mm) case. This should enable a much more compact case that fits in most racks and shelfs. The SMPS could thereby be placed closed to the front of the case and one ncore (or maybe two, if the case was carefully designed for this and a little wider) to be placed behind and closest to input/output connections.

If you go for a 200mm wide case (still only about 60mm high and slightly deeper), then two SMPS´s should just exactly be able to be placed next to each other making room for two ncores behind them to enable a stereo design or multi channel enclosure (for one multi way active speaker) around only one SMPS.

It seems that there are many like me who are into low profile cases, and with SMPS and switching amps there is actually no technical reason for making a tall enclosure. Unfortunately the expensive SMPS600 is too tall to be mounted in a 1U high enclosure otherwise this box hunting would soon have been settled...

(Bruno), if you should make a revision of the SMPS then please make it as low height as the ncore´s. For me it could take up double the mounting area if it was only of lower height. Also, if I may ask, would it be possible to make a dual/mono kind of SMPS with power reserve for two channels full power and dedicated (separated) power rails. I can´t read anything from the data sheets about this, but why not make completely separated power output rails for each power consuming function to reduce their mutual pollution of each other?
- I think that the objectivist "no technical reason for two smps to sound better" has been trounced, so lets learn, adjust and get on with it :)

cheers,

Last edited:
- I think that the objectivist "no technical reason for two smps to sound better" has been trounced, so lets learn, adjust and get on with it :)

I don't think it has. There were some questions (from Bruno) about mutual grounding with 2 ncores and 1 smps when there's no case, and I didn't see that they were answered. (I didn't spend time examining the photos of the experimental lash up)

I don't think it has. There were some questions (from Bruno) about mutual grounding with 2 ncores and 1 smps when there's no case, and I didn't see that they were answered. (I didn't spend time examining the photos of the experimental lash up)

Me too :)
Well, you are of course right that nothing has in fact been trounced, but it would really surprise me if the difference between using two ncores on one or two smps´s is down to a grounding issue. I put more faith in that the "up to 85dB noise rejection" cannot make up fore proper dedicated and isolated power rails for each consuming part of the amp. Personally I have heard great (not suble) differences on power supply caps on a "105 dB PS noise rejection" class AB amp. 85 dB doesn´t make my boat float and is to me not to be mixed up with proper PS designing :)

I too have been thinking about enclosures, and for those who want a stereo box and to waste little space, the image shows the approximate layout for the Modu Galaxy Maggiorato 230 x 280 x 80 mm which you can buy from Modu directly or here:
I have a Modushop Slimline case for my UcD modules. Though it looks pretty ok, I personally want something of a bit higher class for Ncore. The front of the Slimline looks good, but the top and sides aren't very classy. But it all depends on the price. I'm not willing to pay anything.

Here's some pictures of my Modushop enlosure.

Attachments

• Hypex 003 (Large).jpg
    Hypex 003 (Large).jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 301
  • Hypex 006 (Large).jpg
    Hypex 006 (Large).jpg
    79 KB · Views: 306
I too have been thinking about enclosures, and for those who want a stereo box and to waste little space, the image shows the approximate layout for the Modu Galaxy Maggiorato 230 x 280 x 80 mm which you can buy from Modu directly or here:

ELTIM

attachment.php

i think 1x smps + 6x ncore would even be possible.
you can mount 3x ncore not on bottum but at top, upsidedown

i like that idea

but i would best like the smps fitting in a 40mm 1U enclosure, but i think i'll have to pick the smps400 for that

Last edited:
Has anyone found a good solution for attaching thick speaker wires into the nCore speaker terminals? I tried dividing a 4mm wire into two equal sized sections, but i could not make the connection as reliable i would've liked. I still could get the wire out with very little force.

I guess, Small gold plated forks that are squeezable (with a tool) on top of wire would be perfect.

Currently i am using regular 1.5mm connector wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.