Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know the sound of UCD, and expecting Ncore to sound better than UCD is self-evident; therefore confirmation of better sound by people switching from UCD to Ncore (Stig Erik), with all respect, does not tell me how Ncore performs amidst other high quality amplifiers, be it class A, A/B, solid state or tube.
once again we disagree. I think we were meant to :D
comparison to any reference is not useless as long as it tries to be more than the regular "beats the pants off" kind of "review".

Time will tell.
not sure that's true. given the amount of crap on the market that's still selling, the test of time is not relevant (to me).
as someone said in a private conversation I've had recently "problem customers will always complain no matter what, while the happy customers usually don't bother to post impressions".

once again we disagree. I think we were meant to :D
comparison to any reference is not useless as long as it tries to be more than the regular "beats the pants off" kind of "review".

In my opinion you like to disagree: of course it makes sense to compare a new developed amplifier with it's predecessor, being UCD in this case. But it is evident that the new developed Ncore comes out of UCD with the objective to improve on it's predecessor; makes sense right?
But that is not the point, the point IMO being how Ncore performs compared to other well regarded (preferably DIY) designs; that is at least what has my (and I guess quite some forum members') interest.

In my opinion you like to disagree
huh :) what a coincidence, that's the exact some impression you've confirmed for a while now :) you seem to gladly jump in only when there's some disagreement.

of course it makes sense to compare a new developed amplifier with it's predecessor, being UCD in this case. But it is evident that the new developed Ncore comes out of UCD with the objective to improve on it's predecessor; makes sense right?
But that is not the point, the point IMO being how Ncore performs compared to other well regarded (preferably DIY) designs; that is at least what has my (and I guess quite some forum members') interest.
you did not get it so I'll explain again.
it makes sense to compare the NC to any known reference, be it UCD or anything else. saying "NC has a wider sound stage compared to amp X" tells a whole different story than "it sounds better than amp X".
anyway, reality tells us that we (me and you) are not going to get what we're expecting (see above posts for an explanation).

you did not get it so I'll explain again.
it makes sense to compare the NC to any known reference, be it UCD or anything else. saying "NC has a wider sound stage compared to amp X" tells a whole different story than "it sounds better than amp X".
anyway, reality tells us that we (me and you) are not going to get what we're expecting (see above posts for an explanation).

I got it perfectly :)
What I try to explain is that I am more interested at the moment in a comparison between Ncore and whatever "reference" except UCD, because I know UCD, and I know that Ncore will sound better than UCD, so I think basically we don't disagree that much :)

I asked before but I think it was lost in the thread, I'm re-asking here instead of mailing since it might interest others too:

If I've understood correctlyThe NCore needs the SMPS600, it cannot run on the UcD400 SMPS since it needs lower voltage rails also. The question is: can the (future revised edition) UcD400 run on the SMPS600?

I'm considering doing a 3x UcD400 + 2x NCore on a single SMPS600 since I won't go anywhere near 600W and if it works it would save me money and space =)

I asked before but I think it was lost in the thread, I'm re-asking here instead of mailing since it might interest others too:

If I've understood correctlyThe NCore needs the SMPS600, it cannot run on the UcD400 SMPS since it needs lower voltage rails also. The question is: can the (future revised edition) UcD400 run on the SMPS600?

Hypex states that the SMPS600 is specific for the Ncore amplifier, and the SMPS400 for the UCD400.
Both SMPS's however have the lower voltage rails of 21 VDC, so I guess that a UCD400 can run on an SMPS600 (just slightly higher voltages of +/-65V instead of +/-63V for the SMPS400).

Very interested in building an amp based upon the nCore...

Could anyone suggest a DIY preamp circuit that is a good match for the nCore, that can take both unbalanced and balanced inputs and has balanced outputs ?

I'm open to all suggestions : passive, active, SS, tubes, transformers, anything goes as long as it is sonically on par with the nCore...

As far as input selector and volume control are concerned, I think I'll use the remote-controlled Dantimax kits (Input2 and RelVol3, with Control2), unless someone has a better suggestion...

Thanks in advance for your advice !

David

Last edited:
Considering many of the actual owners of UCD based amplifiers are itching to switch to the oh-so-wondeful NCORE, my guess is some of these might be willing to sell old UCDs.

UCDs are perfectly fine for my design though, where power amplifier is not highly critical.

So if anywone is willing to sell UDCs + respective power supplies, I am willing to buy.

I would prefer then case-less. Folks probably anyway would want to recycle cases for the new NCOREs.

PM me please only.

I got it perfectly :)
What I try to explain is that I am more interested at the moment in a comparison between Ncore and whatever "reference" except UCD, because I know UCD, and I know that Ncore will sound better than UCD, so I think basically we don't disagree that much :)

My two cents would be that since NCore and UCD are closely related, and you know the UCD well, a comparison between those two would be the most valuable comparison for you.

I do hope that people will post their impressions re Ncore vs. other amps. It's not because UcD and Ncore are of similar technological stock that this is anyting to go by sonically. One sounds like UcD, the other doesn't. I'm making fairly bold claims as to how Ncore compares to any amplifier. That it sounds better than UcD is stating the obvious.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.