Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
pieter t no man... I'm asking if the signal stage can run better with 21V filtered and regulated that's all. It just happens that I have had my eye on that SMPS of AVPs and was curious on what the NC400 engineer thought of using it with his module. That's all... You're reading way to much into it friend...

Plus ya sorta insulted me didn't you... "real DIY'er"

I'll admit I'm a heath kit assembly guy. I didn't go to school for EE so sorry for my lack of understanding in many/most regards.

Last edited:
pieter t no man... I'm asking if the signal stage can run better with 21V filtered and regulated that's all. It just happens that I have had my eye on that SMPS of AVPs and was curious on what the NC400 engineer thought of using it with his module. That's all... You're reading way to much into it friend...

If you follow this thread from the beginning you will agree that you can't expect the NC400 engineer to reply, and that is not just for commercial reasons (Jan Peter already responded but that was a commercial reply).

Plus ya sorta insulted me didn't you... "real DIY'er"

I'll admit I'm a heath kit assembly guy. I didn't go to school for EE so sorry for my lack of understanding in many/most regards.

I did not mean to insult you; when you feel so I am sorry.
What I meant is the difference between what I call "real DIY'ers" (able to read schematics, find solutions, look for useful modifications, build own stuff from scratch a.s.o.), and what you call the "assembly guys".
No problem with that at all; representatives of both types have every right to be here :)

I spent last night playing around with cutouts of the amp module and power supply. My current thought is that the first chassis that I will offer will be for a mono amp. I am planning a run of 10 units to start and the lead time from here is ~6 weeks. The basic shape and idea is a small rectangular box of approximately 200cm X 132cm X 132cm. It will be constructed from natural aluminum and have ventilation holes on the top of the chassis.

The round amp module will be mounted to the back panel allowing the shortest possible connection for signal and amplifier wires. I need to decide if the connectors should go above, below, right, or left of the module. The fact that it is circular helps in this regard! The power IEC will be mounted on the right side of the rear panel.

I will have a round power switch on the front of the chassis. I need to decide where to locate that?

Some other questions that I have are:
1. How close can the modules be to each other?
2. How close can the amp module be to the power IEC?
3. Is ventilation on top enough?
4. What am I missing.

Ncore Mono - My Photo Gallery
Price list of parts
Power Connector $12.58
Push Button Switch $12.03
Neutrik Balanced $6.50
Vampire Post $18.50

Anyone????

I kind of like the idea of having a blue led somewhere on the chassis to indicate whether the amps are on or off. My question is where I should connect the led (from where should it be powered)?
The seller at the link mr_push_pull gave says he will supply resistors that will feed the LED from various volatages up to 230V mains.

That auction ended but here's one from the same seller

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

And Roberto a good mathematician! The only reason the older crowd didn't get that patent before Bruno was their maths skills...

Bloody obvious isn't it!

We are all sorry your DXA-400 design infringes on Bruno's/Philips patents but this doesn't mean you should be rude to Bruno in a public arena.

I'm seriously considering NC400 for my fronts but I like to spread my purchasing around. Is it possible for DPS-500S to work with NC400 and have the NC400 microcontroler control the DPS-500S. I like that SMPS because it would be much easier to integrate a 12v trigger with the optional control connections.

Also it's a MUCH more reasonable price compared to the SMPS600 when you consider it's a more technically advanced SMPS at roughly the same price.

I feel the SMPS600 at € 180 is... expensive for what it is. As are the modules really... Bruno if you just lowered the price across the line by about 20% you'd sell a lot more modules IMHO and higher production numbers. I dunno how that would fly with your OEMs though.

As it stands DIY NCore is gunno cost us $700 bucks a channel. That's hardly cheap and cheerful. I mean I can get an ATI AT3005 for $2500 mark. That's $500 a channel in chassis for a true differential. We are looking at $3000 grand for five channels in chassis for your solution Bruno. That's really placing it outside of a lot of DIYers are willing to spend.

I can understand that channel cost for a license of your technology but your design house doesn't encounter those costs on the same level plus you'd get a lot of it back from Philips via royalty payments one would think.

Bruno... why don't you have a more reasonable price for your SMPS and modules?

You know it's not the norm for DIY parts vendors to have markup in the hundreds of percent ehh...

I'm sorry if I've come off rude and I don't want to tell you how to run your business it's just the margins your getting for what equates to electronics parts is really high and borderline absurd at I'm guessing 500-800% (sorry for the tone it's just that $225/can landed SMPS really bugs me)

This is what boutique sales guys work with not DIY parts vendors...

Thanks for coming on this forum Bruno and sharing your engineering expertise and helping out the DIY community and being open to ideas etc.

If you can't afford quality, buy something cheaper. Or if you know of better for the price go and buy that. Seems like a simple solution to me

Not in our web shop if that's what you're angling at ;)

It was a sketch I made to liven up the case discussion. It would be quite cool to see not just a "group buy" but also a "group design" effort. But you need a first sketch for people to shoot at. And I just love toying with SketchUp. That's the real reason.

If there's enough interest I'd be more than happy to do something for the DIY community. How about a chassis milled from solid aluminium? I won't compete with a 1U off the shelve chassis because that's rather pointless. Volume is key here to make it work.

Arthur has received an email from me in the meantime. I've spend a large amount of time with my 1,5 year old son in hospital, hence the somewhat belated replies.

Cheers,

Richard

What ballpark figure are we talking about Richard ? I plan to do a 7.2 channel Ncore setup (or a 20channel version if i decide to go with active filtering). I don't mind spending $100-150 per chassis (which I am not sure many DIYers are willing to do based on what I see in the gallery thread). If you can match or come close to your amp's chassis for under $150 sign me up for 7 :)

I don't really care for the idea of solid block milled down. I rather like your amp's chassis and sleeve design. It hides most of the mounting hardware but it still easy to access.

I can imagine that when doing 7-20 channels the cost of the chassis weighs in...on the other hand, I would like to offer something which is usually out of reach for the diy community and matches the exceptional ncore modules.
Initial thoughts would suggest that €150 would be the bare minimum, €200 seems more likely. Again, volume is key to recoup the tooling and cad/cam costs.

Nice to have Richard (Hexateq) on board.
I'm sure many of the Ncore buyers would be interested in a sexy looking purpose-built enclosure.

Personally I'd prefer a curvy cube design, the best of which is IMHO the now-discontinued Hexacube line:

attachment.php

attachment.php

...but with equal depth and width dimensions.

I also like this HFX storage case:

258461d1325717451-hypex-ncore-582_storage_5_l.jpg

..but I doubt they'd be willing to do a custom job for us.

I've also contacted VT4C concerning a customization of one of their cases. I will post more info when they get back to me.

Attachments

• hexfront.jpg
    hexfront.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 1,686
  • ucd_07.jpg
    ucd_07.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 1,623
  • 582_storage_5_l.jpg
    582_storage_5_l.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 976
Count me in. I will hold off on ordering from THL Audio if I have the opportunity for a Hexateq enclosure.

Having said that, my interest is in an enclosure design for monoblock NCores. I could be wrong, but I would think a group buy or an economy of scale opportunity would be more likely for an appropriately designed monoblock enclosure vs. multiple NCores in the same chassis.

Richard, only speaking for myself, I am willing to pay a few hundred dollars for each enclosure assuming the design and quality is commensurate with the price. I love my UCD400s, but they are in a rather plain industrial looking enclosure. If a nice encllosure was available, if the NCores live up to their reputation, I would like to build them in an enclosure suitable to their acclaim.

richardkrol you guys manufacture the Meridian cases right?

What kinda money are we talking about here and do you guys have an NCore amp in the works?

You guys do extrusions as well as milled billets right? Must be talking at least $500 bucks for a billeted enclosure.

Last edited:
I can imagine that when doing 7-20 channels the cost of the chassis weighs in...on the other hand, I would like to offer something which is usually out of reach for the diy community and matches the exceptional ncore modules.
Initial thoughts would suggest that €150 would be the bare minimum, €200 seems more likely. Again, volume is key to recoup the tooling and cad/cam costs.

Those prices are fine for a stereo ncore amp, but for a monoblock that might be a bit much for my HT :) But i will wait and see, I aint ruling anything out yet. I scratch built my last amp with a drill press and hand tools.... NEVER AGAIN

DSC01881.jpg

It turns out great but totally not worth my time. This might make be a bit of a gear slut but I really think a nice chassis is an important part of DIY. I hate seeing so many guys put a ton of effort into their DIY efforts only to put the thing in a hammond case.

€150,- for a Hexateq quality enclosure would be very nice. So for a surround setup his would 5 times 150 = €750,- Today I'm going to listen to Piega speakers and an Hexateq enclosure would match nicely.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.