Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

This is my first post on diyAudio but I'm following this thread already from November onwards as I'm very interested in the new Hypex NCore modules. My intention is to "assemble" my own multi-channel (5) power amp. Finding a suitable chassis I find the most difficult. I've still not decided to "assemble" the 5 modules into one chassis or build 5 mono blocks... I case a nice DIY chassis would be come available for a NCore amp with the SMPS600, I definitely would be very interested to buy one (or better 5...).

Will use them for my B&G RD-75 ribbons. Thats a very very easy load to drive, 6 ohms flat.

I'm using UcD180HG with HxR now, and I am very satisfied with its sound quality. If the Ncore is significantly better, then this must be the very last amp I'll ever buy.
StigErik, I was intending to buy a couple of "UcD180HG with HxR" to drive my old Cabasse Sampan 311-M13 that have an efficiency of 94 dB/1W/1m... I really don't need the 200 watts of the Ncore on 8 ohms. These closed boxes are excellent in the higher frequencies, but a bit hard to drive in the bass range.

As you have tested both, what's your feeling of the extra plus for double the price? Especially in the bass area.

I have not tested any of them in the bass range.
I've just been looking at what "B&G RD-75 ribbons" look like, and that's fairly obvious now. Sorry for asking...

Well, I read your Whow post anyway; I guess the "more direct" feeling is linked to the control loop being upped by 20 dB.

And this, I wouldn't get by waiting for the other Ncore improvements to trickle down to UcD180HG :grumpy:

Should I stick with UcD180HG "sweetness" or will I be forever distressed :confused:

Bruno

I'm interested that the smps600 isn't regulated. So I'm wondering what your thoughts are on the use/possible benefits of a regulated supply with the nc400?

Or does the behaviour of the smps600 mean it is 'regulated' in certain areas/conditions?

I understand the the psrr of the nc400 is high, but every little helps

thanks

We have used a bunch of cases from Par-metal. Seems like good products,but we have not tried many others
Par-Metal

I went with the all aluminum 2U slimline with 10mm face from hifi2000\Modu. They look pretty nice, and should have more then enough real estate inside with dimensions of 415mm wide 280mm deep and 80mm high. I will be making 2 amps, one for woofers, one for mid\tweets. They will be dual mono with 2 smps600's, 2 NC400's, a soft start module (mainly to run the push button switch) and a high end stepped attenuator mounted on the rear panel with a extension rod to the front panel knob to keep the wires short.

modushop.biz

bavmike,

Just curious, why not just use a rocker switch rather than the push button switch? The rocker switch wouldn't require the soft start and would be much less work. I know you must have a very good reason, but I am just missing it.

No I don't really have a good reason other then I really like the looks of that blue LED push button. It matches the blue LED on my DAC, and will look good with a machined stainless steel volume knob beside it. I know it's not the most economical route, but the way I see it is I'll be spending a hell of a lot less on this project then if I was to go buy products of similar quality at the local audio shop.

I just received an email from Vincent at THL Audio (I ordered my UCD400 enclosure from him). On page 114 of this thread I posted the link to this enclosure at THLAudio.com

PRAL-15307C All Alum. Chassis for Power

Vincent said the price is $118.90 (US $), plus $62.75 for shipping.

I just don't think the NCore with power supply can fit.

I just received an email from Vincent at THL Audio (I ordered my UCD400 enclosure from him). On page 114 of this thread I posted the link to this enclosure at THLAudio.com

PRAL-15307C All Alum. Chassis for Power

Vincent said the price is $118.90 (US $), plus $62.75 for shipping.

I just don't think the NCore with power supply can fit.

Should work as a mono block case

I get home from vacation, hook the nc400s up and they won't amplify the signal. Looks like plug and play can be hard sometimes.
Did you connect the separate black wire to ground? Otherwise -> photo

I'm interested that the smps600 isn't regulated. So I'm wondering what your thoughts are on the use/possible benefits of a regulated supply with the nc400?

Or does the behaviour of the smps600 mean it is 'regulated' in certain areas/conditions?

The bit that is "regulated" is the sum of both rails. The ripple is very nearly symmetrical. PSRR of the amp is equal on both sides so it's the sum that counts. Now, if you wanted to regulate the supply what would you want to regulate? Just the differential? One rail? Both? If you do both, is there any chance it might still be simple? Don't forget we still want to be able to source and sink.

Did you connect the separate black wire to ground? Otherwise -> photo

nAMPON is connected to pin 1 xlr, I guess that should work?

And I must say it's impressive with your involvement in this thread, Bruno. :)

Here is a bad photo, but I think you can see everything.

Attachments

• hypex.jpg
    hypex.jpg
    311.4 KB · Views: 869
Status
Not open for further replies.