Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the capability of using your push button switch was built into the SMPS's, just like in the separate soft start module, that would be perfect :)
Well... Something of the sort could be done but if we are to avoid having to add a standby supply it'd have to be connected to the primary side. Which means: properly insulated wiring and switch, and potential difficulty explaining to people that the pushbutton connection is dangerous live. I think we have to mull that one over.
It says 6 cm height, but you are probably questioning if that's the internal or external dimension?
Pretty critical I'd say :)

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2008
What is the purpose of the mystical connector that is not mentioned anywhere? (Is this where we hack into the Matrix or something...)

Attachments

• nc400.jpg
    nc400.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 822
Well... Something of the sort could be done but if we are to avoid having to add a standby supply it'd have to be connected to the primary side. Which means: properly insulated wiring and switch, and potential difficulty explaining to people that the pushbutton connection is dangerous live. I think we have to think that one over.

If I buy some soft start modules and go that route, what do i do to bypass the soft start section (since the SMPS already has one) and just use it for it's switching capability. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems that adding unnecessary elements into the signal path, would subtract the advantages of using high end power cables, connectors etc.

(Is this where we hack into the Matrix or something...)
Pretty much. It's used to program the microcontroller.
If I buy some soft start modules and go that route, what do i do to bypass the soft start section (since the SMPS already has one) and just use it for it's switching capability. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems that adding unnecessary elements into the signal path, would subtract the advantages of using high end power cables, connectors etc.
There's nothing left to bypass since the relay already does so.

Well... Something of the sort could be done but if we are to avoid having to add a standby supply it'd have to be connected to the primary side. Which means: properly insulated wiring and switch, and potential difficulty explaining to people that the pushbutton connection is dangerous live. I think we have to mull that one over.
That's the alternative - add a standby supply to the smps with (possibly) a jumper to enable/disable it.

We could then use that to power external control circuitry without having to install/connect a 2nd mains device
:)

@bavmike the 2 pairs are parallelled directly.

@StigErik. You know you've just scared me out of my wits, don't you? Anyhow I'm not going to release the source code. I think Logitech have called this sort of thing up over themselves through their semi-open source policy. It's amazing though that some people can understand enough about the box to tinker with the software whilst not understanding that so long as there aren't any actual glitches in the data there's nothing to improve. There is certainly a possibility that the changes in processor load modulate the clock oscillator via the supply, but juggling thread priorities isn't going to fix that.

Should anyone have plans: the firmware on the NC400 does nothing with the amplifier other than turn it on and off. Its only job is working out when to do so.

@ChrisPa I'm not sure if we want to weigh the product down with a standby supply as standard. We'll do a bit of brainstorming here once the joint gets rolling again (january 2nd).

Last edited:
Hello,
...Usually the dangerous bit of a toroid is where the wires come out. So make sure they are long enough so you can rotate them away from whatever bit is picking up hum.

In my simple setup the toroids (Reichelt -> cheap) buzz mechanically (off if switched off ;) ) and magnetically into the DCX2496 - annoying:
04.07.2005: 4-Kanal-Amp mit Hypex UcD180 komplettiert
Only distance helps.
But the softstart with very low relaxation time and without NTC works quite well and reliable:
UcD180_Softstart

Bruno:
I measured the out voltage of one PSC2.400 directly at the board connectors:
HF: ~20...25mV (decreasing tendency after a while)
LF: ~430mV
I would like to correct it by myself, if allowed. We can discuss it by Email, if you want.
Thanks!

Happy New Year!

It's amazing though that some people can understand enough about the box to tinker with the software whilst not understanding that so long as there aren't any actual glitches in the data there's nothing to improve.
Bruno, I can't believe you just wrote that :eek: never underestimate the amount of insane audiophile tweaks an otherwise perfectly down to earth person would do.
don't tell me you've never seen those "Linux sounds better than Windows" or "foobar sounds better than Winamp" discussions...

Happy New Year folks
don't tell me you've never seen those "Linux sounds better than Windows" or "foobar sounds better than Winamp" discussions...
There could be a hint of truth in those. ITunes for instance is known to do sample rate conversion by the simple expedient of dropping or repeating samples. I'm not making this up, I discovered this myself. Few audio players know how to get dithering right. It's not all bunk. But reassigning thread priorities certainly is, and so are flac vs wav discussions.

Happy New Year folks

There could be a hint of truth in those. ITunes for instance is known to do sample rate conversion by the simple expedient of dropping or repeating samples. I'm not making this up, I discovered this myself. Few audio players know how to get dithering right. It's not all bunk. But reassigning thread priorities certainly is, and so are flac vs wav discussions.

SRC by dropping samples? Whoever coded that got dropped on his head.

Status
Not open for further replies.