Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
bavmike: I have great experience with cases from: TAKACHI ELECTRONICS ENCLOSURE CO., LTD.

They have a very wide selection in sizes and they are delivering fairly quickly from being located in japan.

You would need to order by e-mail and pay using paypal.
No problems with communication.

I used the HY-series (heat sink) cases when building 4 mono blocks with amp modules from Abletec shown in another thread on this forum.

these guys are located in Italy and offer nice cases: Hi-Fi 2000 contenitori per l'elettronica, case modding HTPC, Galaxy, rack, DIYaudio, computer cases, front panel express, knobs,milled Handles, milled fronts, hi-end,
one big advantage is that they offer optional drilling, engraving and anodizing. they have full (even lid) aluminum cases with 4 and 10 mm face plates in various dimensions. silver, black, you choose.
one slim (4cm height) aluminum case including minimal drilling (IEC connector, inputs/outputs, power switch) goes for 100 something euros.
personally I'm a fool for the slim look and the NCORE allows it.

Everyone seems incredibly curious about quantities. Since it was a first batch and any loose ends would mean a lot of hand rework, several tens of units. Still, I had about four solid days of reworking for only a handful of changes. On account of turnaround time I had to do the reworking and testing myself. From an accountant's point of view we probably made a loss on the first batch :D Good job we're not being run by accountants...
That sounds like the old joke:

There's an old joke about two newcomers to the world of business who acquired a truck and drove to the neighboring state to buy hay. They paid a dollar a bale, and when they got home, they sold the whole load while it was still on the truck for a dollar a bale.

This continued for a couple of weeks, and finally one yokel said to the other, "You know, Bill, we're not makin' any money."

"I know," Bill replied. "We need to get a bigger truck."

Mr_Push_Pull.

I am trying to find enclosures for my NCores when they arrive. I went to the HiFi 2000 website and it appears that the 4 cm enclosures aren't high enough for the NCore power supply.

I used THLAudio.com for my UCD400s and I was satisfied with their enclosure, but I am looking for a better fit this time. I had to turn the THLAudio enclosure sideways which became the front of the amp and consequently, the included faceplate (nice) couldn't be used for what became the front of my amp because it was designed for what became the side of my amp.

It appears that the eclosure needs to be a minimum of approximately 300 mm (approx. 12") long x 127 mm (approx. 5") wide x 63 mm (approx. 2.5") high to accomodate both the amplifier module, the ps, plus a little room all the way around.

I have found enclosures on a couple of the websites mentioned above, but I can't seem to find a nice enclosure without having to turn them side-ways again to make the parts fit.

I hope I explained myself properly when I described having to "turn the enclosure side-ways".

Last edited:
Mr_Push_Pull.

I am trying to find enclosures for my NCores when they arrive. I went to the HiFi 2000 website and it appears that the 4 cm enclosures aren't high enough for the NCore power supply.

I used THLAudio.com for my UCD400s and I was satisfied with their enclosure, but I am looking for a better fit this time. I had to turn the THLAudio enclosure sideways which became the front of the amp and consequently, the included faceplate (nice) couldn't be used for what became the front of my amp because it was designed for what became the side of my amp.

It appears that the eclosure needs to be a minimum of approximately 300 mm (approx. 12") long x 127 mm (approx. 5") wide x 63 mm (approx. 2.5") high to accomodate both the amplifier module, the ps, plus a little room all the way around.

I have found enclosures on a couple of the websites mentioned above, but I can't seem to find a nice enclosure without having to turn them side-ways again to make the parts fit.

I hope I explained myself properly when I described having to "turn the enclosure side-ways".

I just ordered a couple of the slimline 2U 280mm deep with 10mm front panel cases from Modu. modushop.biz. The dimensions are 415mm wide 280mm deep and 80mm tall. They should work great for my dual mono ncore project :) I was originally planning to make seperate mono blocks, but since I want to use a stepped attenuator and high end power cables\connectors etc, it is cheaper and easier going this route. I may even put a divider in the middle to shield any interference between the channels if necessary.

Does anyone know if the push button with the blue LED light on the Hypex webshop can be used with the SMPS600\NC400 combo, without adding the soft start module?
No, you'd have to build a small standby supply and a toggle flip-flop to drive the supply on/off pin. Bound to be cheaper than the soft start module.
A *real* amp should just have burned off the shorting strand... :)

Attachments

• ga820525.gif
    ga820525.gif
    37.8 KB · Views: 809
Last edited:
Here's another alternative, small chassis (Amplifier chassis: GDCH-05) which I have been looking at.

Which brings me to another question: I have some Gallo Ref-3.5 speakers and was thinking about making an amp that could drive both the speaker and additional base-port of the speaker, using a miniDSP for active cross-over. If I were to use nCore + smps, could I then have a ucd amp powered by the same smps? Is it only the ucd-400 that would work on the same smps as the nCore or would the ucd180 also do fine?

Second question is how close I could pack the nCore, smps, ucd module and miniDSP together in a chassis. In theory they would all fit in the small chassis listed above, giving approx 2 cm between each board, but I am concerned about heat and interference. For the record, the plan would be to to wall-mount the amp vertical behind the speaker.

Thanks for any advice...

slowlearner,
as far as I remember the hifi2000 guys list all the dimensions and stuff. the dimensions of the NCORE and the SPMS are known. if unsure, you can use some drafting application to design the layout. there's a free (as in really free) AutoCAD clone (as in it really looks and works like ACAD) called DraftSight. one can use such to make DXF files for the face/back plates in case they want to have the hifi2000 guys drill/engrave them.
in case I decide to go for the NCORE after all, I'll be getting a case from them. I've mailed the guys a while back asking for some details and what I can tell you is that the only case range for which they can pre-drill the back is the Slimline, as it's the only one having an aluminum back plate. the others have only IEC sockets, one will have to drill/file the other holes.
if I recall correctly, the only Hypex SMPS that fits in a slim (4cm) case is the SMPS400. one other option is to go with linear supply with custom-sized transformer.

Status
Not open for further replies.