Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pre orders for NC400 & SMPS600

Is there a preorder possibility with a deposit (or even full payment in advance) for the next batch of NC400 & SMPS600's coming in January? Or Do we need to keep the Hypex website open all month and stay up around the clock until the announcement is made, and hope we are fast enough to place a order in time?

Last edited:
Is there a preorder option with a deposit for the NC400 and SMPS600 batch due in January? Or do we have to keep the Hypex website open around the clock until the announcement is made of their availability, and hope we are lucky enough to get the order in on time?

You can just order in our webshop, we'll deliver the second batch based on the list of customer-orders we already have. Expect to ship out second batch the end of January.

If you pay now your are sure of getting your order.
Excellent!! Another question. I know someone has probably asked before, but if I use a separate SMPS600 per NC400 how much RMS power output should I expect into 8/4/2 ohms? And is there any benefit to using a separate case for each channel, or will a dual mono configuration in the same case work just as well?

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
I took Bruno's hint and got sound pretty fast. But now I have them in cases as well. Took me just 2 hours.

May I ask how large the first batch of NC400's was ? Maybe it was just 4 or 6 modules? :D

Having tested NC400 from 200 Hz and above, I am really interested in what people will say about its bass! I now Bruno said UCD's would be equally good, but.....

as long as you are scaling the 16 bit input to enter the DAC as 20 bit all is ok. to be frank, I would only worry about truncation with high-end systems, I would bet that most cheap to medium-priced systems aren't good enough to make the difference between 14 and 16 bits discernible. that is not to say that one should throw away bits if attenuation can be solved otherwise.

I agree with you in general, but we are on a thread about the nCore modules and it appears that the active posters already have ucd modules. So we are eagerly chatting about going from one very very good amplifier to an even better one. We aren't your average bose 301 listening crowd in this thread, and I'd expect have high resolution systems.

That said, volume attenuation in the digital domain can be done smartly or dumbly, as was said earlier. There are some great solutions already built into various DAC chips, as well a into discrete digital filter chips, but none of that applies when the volume is adjusted at the source end when streaming audio. That is just pure bit truncation.

I use it too for convenience, mostly due to shuffling music from many albums mastered to different levels. But for serious listening, I try to not attenuate at the source end.

Everyone seems incredibly curious about quantities. Since it was a first batch and any loose ends would mean a lot of hand rework, several tens of units. Still, I had about four solid days of reworking for only a handful of changes. On account of turnaround time I had to do the reworking and testing myself. From an accountant's point of view we probably made a loss on the first batch :D Good job we're not being run by accountants...

@rdf: the documentation doesn't show any distortion in the 100mW range at all, only noise. Actual distortion without noise at those signal levels must be somewhere down in the 0.00001% or so, but there's no chance of actually measuring that low. If you really want to split hairs, distortion improves with supply voltage. The whole THD vs power graph (except the noise) shifts to the right as supply voltage goes up. Since most of the time distortion goes up with power, shifting it to the right means reducing it. Running the module at a reduced supply voltage in an attempt to reduce distortion is counterproductive.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Its a good thing that technology and quality seems to be the main driving forces for Hypex. :)

I have tested the protection circuits! They work!! I happened to short one of the speaker cables - one strand of speaker cable came loose and shorted at the speaker terminal. There was still sound, but the amp shut down every 5 seconds or so.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
How come you guys with the first batch of ncores aren't dumping your HxR equipped UcD modules on the swap meet for pennies on the dollar? I'm very disappointed in you all...

Hurry up, or better yet just send them to me for safekeeping.

Sheldon
Maybe because they cannot decide which sound better;)
Anyway, I'm just waiting to buy leftover HxR UcD180 for my 8-channel amp:)
Cheers,
Nic

Status
Not open for further replies.