Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you use solid wire, silvered wire

I am looking at wiring up my units - are there any other reasons than mechanical to go for solid rather than stranded?

Red LED district: Being (reluctantly) Belgian I'm not so much used to seeing red light districts as garishly lit private houses sprinkled along the main roads between cities. They come in any conceivable colour so long as it's fully saturated.
When was the last time you were in suburban America around this time of the year? :)

2 months ago (Long Island), but that was during daytime.

Ah. Christmas lights do start early in the US, but 2 months before Christmas is (fortunately) considered early even by US standards. My wife is from NJ, so I take sunglasses with me when we go over for the holidays. Anyways, she is not entirely happy with me right now, I should be doing Christmas preparations instead of fiddling around with my nCores that arrived yesterday...

OK Bruno,
foolish question, I could have known before, that you checked the noise by yourself. ;)
Thanks again for sharing some background with us. I'm so curious!
I suppose, some of the LEDs are connected in series? Then the noise voltage should not increase as much as the voltage fortunately, unlike the most of the voltage references with different output voltages.

Cheers, Timo

Last edited:
@Julf, Like all things American, the Christmas lights craze is picking up here as well. Luminous reindeer, the lot.

@StigErik: Correct. The SMPS180 design didn't scale well. Regulation isn't needed for sonic reasons but it does help make power ratings consistent.

@atoluma: Ideally, unclipped output power is (HV^2)/(2*R). On the grounds of minimum duty cycle the NC400 reaches clip (arbitrarily defined as the point where THD shoots past 1%) at around 93% of rail voltage so the more realistic formula is 0.87*(HV^2)/(2*R). So the 400W figure is obtained at a loaded supply voltage of around 60.5V. The range above 60.5V is headroom needed for the worst-case conditions of no load and mains overvoltage. Of course, if you design your supply for local mains conditions only you could easily get well past 400W.

@greierasul
I've now got some other work on the table but I might add a square wave plot to the data sheet at some point. Not that I think square wave responses mean anything. The frequency response tells you everything you need to predict the square wave response. Which is to say, most of it will just stay rock solid regardless of the load impedance, and some loads will cause a smallish bit of ringing around 60kHz.

Last edited:
Hello,
Zaph Audio tested a few B&G units and considers them the only good ribbons (seriously good at that).
only the Neo3 PDR if I'm right. Erik uses the '75, as well as I did. This little guy behaves "different".
My BGs do not like this spectrum (momentary "shot" as PDF). Try these:
http://www.ibtk.de/project/speaker/music/Connected/titel_9_2-00bis2-10_60db.wav
http://www.ibtk.de/project/speaker/music/Connected/titel_9_2-00bis2-10_70db.wav

But Eriks BGs seem to be much better, as he told me. :confused:

The Alcons seem to perform much better. Michael Makarski measured the SLS magnetostats and told me, that these seem to be the best. I believe that, after having some Emails with Igor Levitsky, the developer two years ago. ;) Unfortunately Alcons and SLS do sell to OEMs only and I couldn't become one.

Cheers, Timo

@Julf, Like all things American, the Christmas lights craze is picking up here as well. Luminous reindeer, the lot.

Unfortunately I am noticing some of it too. I can tell you that a luminous reindeer and sledge on the balcony of an Amsterdam canal house looks somewhat out of place...

The range above 60.5V is headroom needed for the worst-case conditions of no load and mains overvoltage. Of course, if you design your supply for local mains conditions only you could easily get well past 400W.

So here in Amsterdam I should scale the supply voltage down to 50V or so :) (I am forever changing light bulbs, as the old supply network from the 50's is less than stable but nothing gets replaced until it blows up)

Status
Not open for further replies.