Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Supply pumping is addressed at the power supply. The SMPS400 and SMPS1200 units have synchronous rectification.

When you have a patent that improves on or adds to an existing design but which is still covered by one or more of the claims of the older patent, you still owe royalties to the owner of the original design. As it happens this is not the case for Ncore. It is a self-oscillating amplifier with global feedback but the actual circuit no longer fits any of the claims of the original UcD patent.

Last edited:
The NC1200 is just the first Ncore module and it's quite specifically targeted at VARs (that's the correct term for "OEM customers"). A module for the DIY market is in the planning stage. Nothing is very concrete yet, apart from that it will be très chique and reasonably powered. I think this might be the right moment for you guys to chip in with feature or spec suggestions. I can't guarantee we can do all of it but definitely every idea will be considered. What probably won't happen is a whole range of DIY Ncore modules because we've outgrown ourselves a bit so let's make this thing one that most people will be happy with.

Last edited:
The NC1200 is just the first Ncore module and it's quite specifically targeted at VARs (that's the correct term for "OEM customers"). A module for the DIY market is in the planning stage. Nothing is very concrete yet, apart from that it will be très chique and reasonably powered. I think this might be the right moment for you guys to chip in with feature or spec suggestions. I can't guarantee we can do all of it but definitely every idea will be considered. What probably won't happen is a whole range of DIY Ncore modules because we've outgrown ourselves a bit so let's make this thing one that most people will be happy with.

Will there be MOQ's like the ICE power stuff ?

regards
Trev

Bruno,

Thank you for the explanation, it makes sense. The AB amplifier I used actually doesn't have a current limiter in the traditional sense, it just keeps pumping current until a slow blow fuse dies and its available output current is very high. The NC1200 with 38A of available current should actually work in most cases since the load impedance is never less than 1 Ohm.

@Javin,
If the analyser had two low-distortion sine oscillators and two notch filters I could do low-level IMD plots as well but now I have to use the AD/DA path. As you can see from the grey plots even at high levels the converters pretty much dominate the result so all I could do was to crank up the level until something showed up that was caused by the amp.

You can do an estimate though: because the loop gain is more or less constant up to 20kHz, IMD and THD behave very similarly and furthermore readings will be largely independent of frequency. Under these circumstances, mix products of a 1:1 IMD test will have about the same amplitude as the HD products of a single tone test. If you mix 18.5k and 19.5k, the 2nd order mix product is at 1kHz, the 3rd at 17.5 (and 20.5), the 4th at 2kHz, the 5th at 16.5kHz etc.
This is only conditionally true (only if you don't get thermal modulation effects or slew related distortion for instance) but it holds pretty well for UcD and Ncore.
From the THD FFT plots at 1W you can then estimate that IMD levels will be similar, that is around -110...-120dB depending on the load.
Anyhow, low level IMD does not do anything crazy. There are a variety of fields in audio where people postulate fancy low-level IMD effects that fail to show up with single tones, but I've yet to see that happen in reality. IMD is mostly interesting to characterize performance at high power levels.

@Roberto, the test was done with the unregulated SMPS1200. You can see this from the fact that:
1) 2ohm clipping power isn't four times 8 ohm clipping power
2) clipping power is lower at 100Hz than at 1kHz.
If the power supply were regulated the tail end of the THD plots would overlap exactly and power levels would scale exactly with load impedance. There's something like 10Vpp ripple on the supply at 1200W.

3 questions What is the amount of 2nd and 3rd Harm distortion?

Are the higher harmonic distortions at low levels relative to 2nd and 3rd harmonic?

Do the distortion components decrease in a linear fashion as output is decreased?

Hi Bruno, my premise:
it is clear that I do not know your new amp. I like to argue with you on the measures (they are public), thus affecting the community. I think a better fft, can show much more and even that sound can have this amp, or reacts to the PSU as well to the harmonic content (very important to understand (what is not understood by many measures have published). Also , sorry if I insist on thd vs. Power @ 2-4-8R. yes, at total square wave change But if you look at the percentage of modulation (420W 4R), this is repeated in a theoretical power 2R and 8R.
this can not be in reality. (the same percentage of PWM but with different voltage rails, producing different power), of course.
It seems that there is a pre-clip or psu is not smps1200. Also your fft @ 1w, 100hz peak show very low. I think that at 30w fft can clarify a lot about this new amp. (x-axis with obvious than 20kHz), good is fosc/10 Min.
One curiosity, i see a link on your output filter. you can simple explain this?

Regards
Roberto P.

I think this might be the right moment for you guys to chip in with feature or spec suggestions.

Hi Bruno,

if you only were to make one "DIY" ncore module I for one would like it to be of "moderate" power. A 300W @ 4Ω would be sufficient I think. I can understand though, that to be useful to the widest market, maybe something up to as much as 500W @ 4Ω might have the broadest appeal. (depends on where the cost sweetspot is) I don't think paying for higher voltage and current capacity is worth the price beyond that :)

those who want a 1kW beast can find away to source an OEM module ;)

I currently have a pair of UcD400HG's. (I think 200W/400W is a good size/cost/performance compromise) I built them when I had speakers that were much more power hungry. Now with 90dB speakers they mostly just loaf along. That's OK though, because it's nice to know I can hook up and drive almost any speaker.

I had thought maybe a nice pair of UcD180's would be good, but if the ncore were available in a ~400W version, I would definitely go for that.

Feature-wise not much pops into my head immediately, as the UcD series are pretty good. (OCP/OVP/OTP?) Though maybe something long the lines of a more flexible heatsink/mounting solution would be nice.

My fantasy wish:

For DIY, I'd like to see a small power amp-module with world-class sound/specs for cheap; something that can be run in the 10W-50W (+/- 10V-30V supply) range (maybe even with batteries). While wrongheaded and unfair, a 300-400W power spec is intimidating and makes me think 'large speaker' or 'sub only', not the many smaller systems and projects where a great amp would have DIY application.

My fantasy wish:
For DIY, I'd like to see a small power amp-module with world-class sound/specs for cheap;

• 300 to 500W @ 4 ohm ~= 150 to 250W at 8 ohm (I also don't like insanely high power, as I don't run a nightclub ;) ) around 200W can be of use though.

• while world class is debatable at best, I assume you've checked out the various quite decent T-amps, 41Hz modules, and various chip-amps?
I agree though, if it were even close to cost competitive a little 15W dude with the specs of this ncore would be kinda cool :D
(just that at that power level there are so many ways to go - even class A)

I may supply some of the requested graphs next time I get one on my lab bench. As it is I'm currently writing software.

@Roberto, I hope you're not suggesting that my measurements can't be real... They were done on the thing shown on the first page of the leaflet. It was still warm when I took the photograph. There are several things at play:
1) The SMPS output voltage hasn't dropped as much at 800W as at 1200W, so the effect is most visible near 1% distortion.
2) The linearity of the modulator is slightly load dependent. It is worst at 8 ohm and best at two. As a result, the distortion free range extends further, in modulation percentage terms, with a 2 ohm load attached than with an 8 ohm load attached. This offsets the sagging of the supply. I hope you accept the explanation because there isn't any other ;).
Shorted parts on the module on the photograph are optional coupling caps and an optional Kelvin sense input network.

@kevin, distortion is mostly 2nd and 3rd. On account of minor nonidealities the first "bump" is dominated by the second, the second bump is dominated by the third. Before the two bumps, distortion has the normal second/third etc order rise with signal level.

@thune, low powers make little sense because on a <200W Ncore amplifier the control circuit would take up more board space than the power stage. As for "cheap" well there's a bit of a problem. Most applications looking for cheap wouldn't pay extra for the better performance, and most applications looking for good performance want the nec plus ultra which isn't cheap. Believe it or not, a cheap low-power Ncore amplifier would hardly earn back the expense of developing it whilst by its mere existence devaluing the higher end offering.

@Trev, the DIY module will have an MOQ of exactly 1. The NC1200 is on a project basis.

@eclectic: OTP is indeed planned for this one. Re mounting, freedom is somewhat limited (EMC and thermal requirements prevail) but all ideas are welcome. I'm thinking along the lines of the method used in the UcD...OEM and the NC1200 i.e. an aluminium base plate with tapped holes in it.

@Others keep the suggestions coming. I can't comment on everything but all points are well taken.

Last edited:
Hi Bruno,

Looks like great work.

I can only speak for myself and a few others i know of but there is some DIY demand for the high power modules as well - custom active very high quality PA, studio monitor projects etc and people wanting to drive big PMC's and similar.

It would be great if the NC1200 could be availble in smallish qty's as well as the dedicated DIY board, without having to buy completed products which are unlikley to fit the application precisely or push the cost out of the justifiable range.

Presume the NC1200 has features like clip indicator and thermal protection etc.

Hi Bruno,

Great work as always! You had hinted at this tech on one of our private conversations over a year ago and I was really looking forward to it!

I think a DIY module that matched the specs of the NC1200 would be a good all-around offering (if you're only going to make one model). There is no point making a "statement" model with "just" 400W @ 4Ohms. As you have stated in numerous occasions, UcD700HG was the best of the previous generation, so a "replacement" of that which improves on everything (incl. output power) seems logical. NC1200 seems to fit the bill (and then some). I don't see it as an overkill.
Improving 10-fold on output power (to match the improvement on the rest of the specs)... Now THAT would be an overkill! :D

Just my 2c!

Keep up the good work!

Last edited:
Hi Bruno,
thank you for having responded to me.absolutely I did not think that is false measures, maybe they just do not know the circuit. is normal, even when I presented my own, many have doubted the appearance.
I hope you admire my questions, even though I am a competitor instead of stupid attacks.

Regards
Roberto P.

Status
Not open for further replies.