Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not? I imagine you'd discharge a standard rectifier supply before hooking it up to a power amplifier section - I certainly do - so why not do the same for an SMPS?

I think good rule in DIY is that, if you feel unsure of something, don't do it. I don't feel very comfortable of connecting power resistor somewhere, where might be a deadly amount power. I don't have those power resistors, and I don't even know how to make the procedure exactly. Even if did that anyways, which was stupid according to how many unknown parameters i have, i would not be sure if i it did the desider effect or not, or something else.

Hypex does not encourage me to do it either. It's not a standard procedure regarding the SMPS600. Instead Hypex clearly tells me not to fiddle around with the SMPS-600 for 10 minutes in any way, after power off.

That is why I am not going to do it.

So many posts about charged caps and so few on nCore sound quality....hmmmm. Well I have a pair on order which I should have by next week. Maybe what is happening is they sound so fantastic people don't have time anymore to post.
look for other build threads. so many people start building something, keep promising listening impressions and suddenly disappear. it's such an often encountered phenomenon here.

I think good rule in DIY is that, if you feel unsure of something, don't do it. I don't feel very comfortable of connecting power resistor somewhere, where might be a deadly amount power. I don't have those power resistors, and I don't even know how to make the procedure exactly. Even if did that anyways, which was stupid according to how many unknown parameters i have, i would not be sure if i it did the desider effect or not, or something else.

Hypex does not encourage me to do it either. It's not a standard procedure regarding the SMPS600. Instead Hypex clearly tells me not to fiddle around with the SMPS-600 for 10 minutes in any way, after power off.

That is why I am not going to do it.

if the smps is not connected to the amp waiting 10 minutes won`t help.
bruno correct me if i am wrong but it seems there is no bleeding resistor
so the smps will still be charged if if you wait for hours.

What exactly is the problem? Yeah I had a few sparks when I connected the SMPS (which had been charged) to the ncore amp, but it didn´t ruin the amp and I cant imagine why it would as long as you connect the connector the right way (and that is pretty hard to do wrong) ? So what is all this fuzz about? :)

The sparks is just because of big current over the wires/connectors because of the caps on the amp charging or am I wrong?

Last edited:
I'm the one who reported the sparks thing, and now that deepc0re says he also got sparks but no damage, I'm wondering if I actually damaged the amps, or something else can explain what I experienced.

After seeing the sparks, I hooked everything up anyway and connected the balanced out from my buffalo iii dac to the ncore, and the ncore to the speakers. When I powered it on, the speakers gave loud bangs, were silent for a second, then loud bangs again, and then I powered it off. I just assumed this meant that the ncores were damaged. Any other obvious explanation for this?

I have tested my buffalo iii's s/e out with headphones, and that works fine.

Yes, I use a Legato. I have set the DC offset to as close to zero as I was able to (I think it measured 0.2 mV)

In the buffalo, the connection between the Legato and the xlr out is straightforward - gnd to gnd, plus to plus and minus to minus. I asked Brian about it and he said to do it like this. Btw he also said I should connect the mains gnd to the case, which I didn't get around to doing, could that be relevant?

In the nCore, the nAMPON is connected to the case, as is also the gnd wire in the xlr signal cable. The case is connected to the xlr out gnd. Other than that it's just plus to plus and minus to minus. I really don't hope I made any newbie mistake here, would be kind of embarrassing.

Do you use a legato? You have adjusted the DC offset between + and - to zero on the legato right?

What is legato anyway? Some type of connection... that's all I can find.

Hoping to recieve my modules and smps this week. Hypex is founded only 2 km from where I live, so delivery shouln't take too long.

Just wondering. Wich pre-amps are used or planning to be used by you diy'ers who have already build or are going build a ncore amp? Mine would be a Linn Exotik with Dynamik smps which is currently driving a Linn Majik 2100 power amp. I'm really hoping that the ncore amp is sounding better then my 2100. I'll see, uhm I mean hear.

Yes, I use a Legato. I have set the DC offset to as close to zero as I was able to (I think it measured 0.2 mV)

In the buffalo, the connection between the Legato and the xlr out is straightforward - gnd to gnd, plus to plus and minus to minus. I asked Brian about it and he said to do it like this. Btw he also said I should connect the mains gnd to the case, which I didn't get around to doing, could that be relevant?

In the nCore, the nAMPON is connected to the case, as is also the gnd wire in the xlr signal cable. The case is connected to the xlr out gnd. Other than that it's just plus to plus and minus to minus. I really don't hope I made any newbie mistake here, would be kind of embarrassing.

i think your amp don`t like the common mode dc of the legato.

power up the amp with nothing connected no input neither speakers and

use a dmm at the output.

you must have 2-3mv dc output.

if you do the amp is fine.

Ok, that seems right. It almost identical to my setup execpt I dont have anything connected to the mains ground yet.

I think the most important thing is that the buffalo/legato and nCore share grounds, and nAMPON is connected to this.

My setup looks like this:

Buffalo/Legato (GND is not connected to mains or chassis yet) GND out from balanced out -> XLR gnd (pin 1) -> Input GND on nCore -> nAMPON is connected to the Metal screw on the SMPS (as this is the same ground as input ground)

What is legato anyway? Some type of connection... that's all I can find.

Hoping to recieve my modules and smps this week. Hypex is founded only 2 km from where I live, so delivery shouln't take too long.

Just wondering. Wich pre-amps are used or planning to be used by you diy'ers who have already build or are going build a ncore amp? Mine would be a Linn Exotik with Dynamik smps which is currently driving a Linn Majik 2100 power amp. I'm really hoping that the ncore amp is sounding better then my 2100. I'll see, uhm I mean hear.

The Legato Discrete Balanced I/V Stage

I have a (true) balanced out DAC with enough juice to drive just about anything I like :D

Thanks for the suggestions, I sent the modules to RMA last week though so only thing I can test at the moment is the dac.

I talked to a guy from hypex first, describing the symptoms, and he said to just go ahead and RMA. Will be intersting if they find anything wrong with them or not.

Just wondering. Wich pre-amps are used or planning to be used by you diy'ers who have already build or are going build a ncore amp?

Classe SSP-300. currently 2x ucd400 for fronts and 3xucd180 for rear/center. To be replaced with 2x ncore for fronts and I think i'll leave the ucd180's for the rears/center.
Still have to decide what to do with the current 400's once the ncore's are built, my GF is pushing me to sell. We'll see, maybe if the price is right...

Disabled Account
Joined 2008

I have no preamp.... I'm driving the Ncore modules (with R141 removed for lower gain) directly from my DAD AX24 DAC.

The Legato Discrete Balanced I/V Stage

I/V and Line stage from Twisted Pear audio.
So it is some sort pre-amp?

Classe SSP-300. currently 2x ucd400 for fronts and 3xucd180 for rear/center. To be replaced with 2x ncore for fronts and I think i'll leave the ucd180's for the rears/center.
Still have to decide what to do with the current 400's once the ncore's are built, my GF is pushing me to sell. We'll see, maybe if the price is right...

Nice pre-amp if you want surround! I hardly watch any tv or movies, so that only leaves a stereo solution for me. Linn has build some the best sounding equipment I have ever heard, but the prices are way to high. Thats why I went looking for something else, equally good, but cheaper. I have also build my own cd-player, which sound better then the one I owned previously. So I know from this experience that it also feels great to build something that is better than you are able to buy for that price. Very fulfilling! So, the ncore amps are welcome to come as early as possible !

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.