Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
hm.

i have to confess that i do agree. Not that i'm specifically against or in favor of monoblocks, theshaman is right. Plus the added bonus that, when using balanced interconnects, you can put the amps near the speakers and can do with shorter loudspeaker cables.

Basically boils down to the fact that i really don;t care whether they're monoblocks or not.

If these cases are milled from a single piece of aluminium I don't see why that piece can't be split in half to make two monoblock cases. They wasted material shouldn't be much more - if any.

That way people who want monoblocks use them as such and people who want dual mono can just put both enclosures side by side on their rack.
Everyone gets to buy two enclosures and thus spend the same (ok, people who want dual mono need a second power cord that they could otherwise avoid but I don't see this being a problem).
The way it is now, people who want monoblocks have to buy two enclosures (and a lot of "wasted" space and money) - which is essentially a deal breaker.

Well lets see, what's the difference in manufacturing (and thus cost) of a mono enclosure as opposed to a stereo enclosure:
  • A mono enclosure needs to be handled and fixed to the CNC router twice as much as a stereo enclosure;
  • 2 Mono enclosures have more surface area than a single stereo enclosure - hence increased cost for finishing and increased milling waste;
  • 2 mono enclosures use twice as much packaging;
  • 2 mono enclosures need double the amount of AC inlets/switches;
  • 2 mono enclosures need twice as many power cords;
  • A stereo enclosure can be equipped with a single SMPS;
  • A mono enclosure needs to be handled and laser engraved twice;
  • And the list goes on and on...

The point I'm trying to make is that by cutting the case in two, cost isn't halved. We're also trying to achieve something rather nice at an acceptable cost.

If the majority vote is for a mono case then obviously that's what we need to do. There's no point manufacturing something the market has no need for.

Cheers,

Richard

Thanks for clarifying that Richard.

So what would be an estimate of the cost overhead if we go for two mono versions of the case instead of a single stereo enclosure? 50 euros more? 100?
I'm not asking so much for me (since I'm sure the overhead will be a lot less than having to buy two stereo enclosures) but I guess it would be important to know for some people to decide.

It'd also be interesting to hear from Bruno what percentage of buyers opted for a single PSU.
Perhaps you could also open a poll thread in the GB section of the forum.
More numbers = lower price = win win situation for everyone.

Last edited:
Well lets see, what's the difference in manufacturing (and thus cost) of a mono enclosure as opposed to a stereo enclosure:
  • A mono enclosure needs to be handled and fixed to the CNC router twice as much as a stereo enclosure;
  • 2 Mono enclosures have more surface area than a single stereo enclosure - hence increased cost for finishing and increased milling waste;
  • 2 mono enclosures use twice as much packaging;
  • 2 mono enclosures need double the amount of AC inlets/switches;
  • 2 mono enclosures need twice as many power cords;
  • A stereo enclosure can be equipped with a single SMPS;
  • A mono enclosure needs to be handled and laser engraved twice;
  • And the list goes on and on...

The point I'm trying to make is that by cutting the case in two, cost isn't halved. We're also trying to achieve something rather nice at an acceptable cost.

If the majority vote is for a mono case then obviously that's what we need to do. There's no point manufacturing something the market has no need for.

Cheers,

Richard

Looking from that perspective an enclosure for 5 channels is even more cheaper... And you forget one advantage of a mono enclosure: "you can sell nearly the double amount of enclosures..."
Also the reason from Matjans if you have a mono enclosure you can install it near the vicinity of the speaker is very tempting...

Kind of reminds me of

PS2Sys_Original.jpg

Looking from that perspective an enclosure for 5 channels is even more cheaper... And you forget one advantage of a mono enclosure: "you can sell nearly the double amount of enclosures..."
Also the reason from Matjans if you have a mono enclosure you can install it near the vicinity of the speaker is very tempting...

Am I the only two channel guy left here? -no wonder the first batch went out of stock within minutes if everybody hawked 5, 7, or 21 ncores each ;-)

Regarding speaker cables, I strangely prefer the sound of longer runs (depending on cable, but usually more than 4m).

As it seems that the ncore case will only be SMPS friendly :( , but then why not make it as compact and of as low height as possible. I would still prefer the two stereo chassis though. But why not design it to only just fit two SMPS´s(with the reduced height and isolation pads) and two ncore´s. Tightly encapsulating the SMPS´s and the ncore´s should make the solid aluminum case act like a really good heat sink. I wouln´t image it to become more than only slightly lukewarm due to the heat dissipation of the SMPS´s.

My intention is monoblocks behind the speakers

...with future addition of another amp module per speaker, at which point they will become 2 channels per psu, for biamping and active speakers
no, you aren't. music is supposed to pe stereo. I don't get the HT fascination either. as a good friend of mine once said "a movie could never convey pure emotion like music does" :cool:

My intention is monoblocks behind the speakers

...with future addition of another amp module per speaker, at which point they will become 2 channels per psu, for biamping and active speakers

no, you aren't. music is supposed to pe stereo. I don't get the HT fascination either. as a good friend of mine once said "a movie could never convey pure emotion like music does" :cool:
were you replying to Juhleren rather than me?

otherwise I don't understand you comments

Why music only in stereo? A good multi channel recording (>2) from an SACD or DVD-Audio (Pink Floyd - Wish you were here, War of The Worlds etc.) adds a lot to the music experience. You really get "engulfed" by the music. Of course the back loudspeakers and centre speaker should be on par with the front speakers...

Yeah, next thing you know someone will place their amps inside the loudspeakers and send the signal there via long balanced lines.
Oh, wait...! Those crazy people in studios do that already and they call them active loudspeakers. :p

Then stick´em om a plate on the back of the speakers and forget about expensive refined mono block enclosures. It would be a sin to stuff such nice aluminum cases inside the speaker :)

Interesting stuff on that Hexateq page. I´d say something like that reference 4.0 made for ncore modules would be awesome -especially if it like the ref 4.0 allowed for a good old fashioned power-donut and a small forest of four pole caps. But if made for the SMPS implementation, which most seem to do anyway, something in line with the ref 4.0 should be able to contain a double smps stereo amp, and maybe even with a significant reduction in height compared to the ref 4.0 :O)

Why music only in stereo? A good multi channel recording (>2) from an SACD or DVD-Audio (Pink Floyd - Wish you were here, War of The Worlds etc.) adds a lot to the music experience. You really get "engulfed" by the music. Of course the back loudspeakers and centre speaker should be on par with the front speakers...
I hope this won't turn into a "multichannel vs stereo" discussion, but...
for one, I can't see why I would spend money on more speakers, instead of better ones.
second, the best stereo systems I've heard are capable of extremely spatial sound.
third, what do I do if the music I listen to is not released in multichannel (and most of it isn't)?

Status
Not open for further replies.