Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disabled Account
Joined 2008
I'm aware that anything which is de rigueur @StigErik,
Both of your options are sensible. Number 2 will have lower distortion of course.
Darn... especially since I already have eight UcD's. Then I just have to get me some more Ncores and arrange a big garage sale...

Regarding the Ncore, I would like to quote the famous* dutchman Johann van der Smut: "This is a keeper".

* google it if you didnt get it.

Last edited:
Bruno,

Let me preface my next questions by saying that I hope you keep in mind that a DIY site will have really, really smart engineering types here and then the rest of us :confused:

• So what would an "explicit piece of insulating material" consist of?
  • And I assume you are saying the insulating material should go on the chassis bottom and the power supply above on 5mm spacers?

Hey, I have a liberal arts degree, what do you expect! :)

I successfully built two UCD400HGs with H x R, but I had to ask a lot of questions along the way.

@richard the "two tier" version could be made with two separate boxes that bolt on top of eachother :)

In fact that's the second option I was considering.
I did prefer the modular aspect of this approach. You simply add boxes on top of the stack when you decide to active / biamp etc. You could add just one more amp chassis for biamp (have two modules share one SMPS) or add one SMPS and two amp cases (a total of two SMPSs and three NCores) for an active speaker setup or whatever...

A minor downside is you have to figure out the proper way to do all the wiring between the power and amp enclosures but ofc it's feasible.
The major downside (and they reason why I drifted away from this approach) is that two smaller enclosures usually end up being more expensive than going with a single taller one.
So flexibility costs $$$. Ain't life a ...?! :D

Btw, I concur with sp502's suggestion regarding backpanel options.
Speakons would be fine by me (I'm going to be "upgrading" to much shorter speaker cables anyway) but I'm sure others would object.

The men in charge (primarily Richard but also Bruno) must strike a good balance between democracy and dictatorship to get this GB running. ;)

Attachments

• Cube_To_Publish_E.JPG
    Cube_To_Publish_E.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 795
Last edited:
I ordered my (2) NCores and (2) SMPS600s on Dec. 21.

I previously built my UCD400s in one chassis using transformers and a soft start. Obviously, I used only one IEC inlet connected to the soft start in my UCD400s.

If I decided to build both NCore amps in one chassis again, could I use (1) IEC inlet again and connect both SMPS600s to the (1) IEC inlet?

That would save me from having to buy a second matching power cord $$$$.

Last edited:
I ordered my (2) NCores and (2) SMPS600s on Dec. 21.

I previously built my UCD400s in one chassis using transformers and a soft start. Obviously, I used only one IEC inlet connected to the soft start in my UCD400s.

If I decided to build both NCore amps in one chassis again, could I use (1) IEC inlet again and connect both SMPS600s to the (1) IEC inlet?

That would save me from having to buy a second matching power cord $$$$.

Yes, you can, see here: forum.zelfbouwaudio.nl • Toon onderwerp - Hypex Ncore (dutch forum).

Why would a power chord be expensive? (poke, poke!)

For real:
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_4/feature-article-blind-test-power-cords-12-2004.html

On a different note, i found the following quote quite nice: "BTW: you cant ABX piece of mind ". Somewhere in a different forum.

Last edited:
yeah, next thing you tell us you spend more than 5 bucks on speaker wires...
some people :D

Well, I think I am about to do that... But hopefully based on rational reasons. That's why I would like to ask Bruno for his views on cables - not the traditional "audiophile cables vs. house wiring cables", but about twisted vs. untwisted.

I understand the nCore is, due to the feedback loop from the output to the input, somewhat sensitive to noise picked up by the speaker cables, and that's why twisting the cable pairs is recommended. So here is my question: given the choice of a) spade connectors with individual 10mm cables, twisted together in pairs, or b) very weakly (or not at all) twisted "traditional" multistrand (8-conductor) cables using 8-pin speakon connectors (seems 4mm van dammes are the heaviest I can find), any views on a) vs. b)?

yeah, next thing you tell us you spend more than 5 bucks on speaker wires...
some people :D

ok, ok, i'll bite :D --> Just take a decent quality cable, no snake-oil.

And my speaker cables were actually less than 5E, had them left over some years ago when i was still working for a high end audio shop/installation bureau in NL. Can't remember what brand/make, if somebody can help me out please do. Something like dreamcatcher rings a bell, but can't find anything on that.

2x black 2x red transparent in a transparent tube.
6647304407_daf2ce8b15.jpg

Last edited:
I am new to this forum.
Thanks Bruno for all awesome effort in explaining things here.
As I strongly consider buying NC 400 modules I read almost everything here stated about them.
One thing I must cleared out before buying NC 400s.
I see that you answer to some member that considering SMPS 600 power supply for two NC 400 modules will have its impact to the output power of the modules and that this power supply is okay up to the 2x300W,which I understand that if I buy two NC 400 modules and connect them on one SMPS 600 power supply in that case I will have reduction of the output power of NC 400 to 2x300w on 4 ohms maximum.
Am I right.?
So in that case I must consider one SMPS600 power supply for every NC 400 module to get the full potentional and to spend 180 EUR more?
I think that it was stated by you in previous post but I want to be 100% sure
Best regards.

Last edited:
@richard the "two tier" version could be made with two separate boxes that bolt on top of eachother :)
I'm trying to get people off binding posts and onto speakons. Any chance of that being included?

I was already thinking about bolting two cylindrical sections to eachother for an oem project. I figured the styling might be too extreme to appeal to the masses. I'll have think and draw a few options.

I'll see how to include multiple neutrik cutouts to gain some flexibility.

Rgds,

Richard

Last edited:
I was already thinking about bolting two cylindrical sections to eachother for an oem project. I figured the styling might be too extreme to appeal to the masses. I'll have think and draw a few options.

I'll see how to include multiple neutrik cutouts to gain some flexibility.

Rgds,

Richard

How about a large cut out in the back, and have different configuration of bolt on plates for it ? That way the chassis remains universal but those of us that are fine with IEC,Speakon,XLR can have that and those that want binding posts can have that too.

I am new to this forum.
Thanks Bruno for all awesome effort in explaining things here.
As I strongly consider buying NC 400 modules I read almost everything here stated about them.
One thing I must cleared out before buying NC 400s.
I see that you answer to some member that considering SMPS 600 power supply for two NC 400 modules will have its impact to the output power of the modules and that this power supply is okay up to the 2x300W,which I understand that if I buy two NC 400 modules and connect them on one SMPS 600 power supply in that case I will have reduction of the output power of NC 400 to 2x300w on 4 ohms maximum.
Am I right.?
So in that case I must consider one SMPS600 power supply for every NC 400 module to get the full potentional and to spend 180 EUR more?
I think that it was stated by you in previous post but I want to be 100% sure
Best regards.

I always would use seperate power supply for each channel! (and not for the extra power...)

Status
Not open for further replies.