Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, yes, the true measure of "revolutionary-ness"... :)

Audioshark was probably the most anti-class D forum on the net up until the positive feedback from anti-class D guys kept pouring in constantly and consistently regarding the Nord's. Now anyone who trashes class d on the forum now looks like an idiot. For me that's a change for the better. I'm a firm believer Ncore amps can be the perfect amp for EVERYONE. It's rides 100% on the input buffer implementation.

Last edited:
well, 750uv is most of the way to a mv, with rounding it is 1mv.
while it is a decent number, it ain't nutin special.

Alan

760uV is the ripple noise of the SMPS feeding the regulators with 1uV ripple and 110 PSRR from 20Hz-20Khz. If you know about other SMPS's with ripple noise better than 760uV, and leakage current better than 25uA, please share. When you combine this SMPS with those regulators with 110 dB PSRR from 20-20k, the ripple drops down to 0.00228uV from 20-20K. So the noise bottleneck becomes the 1uV of the regulator.

Attachments

• Purestream DAC board.jpg
    Purestream DAC board.jpg
    391.4 KB · Views: 674
Last edited:
Audioshark was probably the most anti-class D forum on the net up until the positive feedback from anti-class D guys kept pouring in constantly and consistently regarding the Nord's. Now anyone who trashes class d on the forum now looks like an idiot. For me that's a change for the better.

Ah, yes, that is truly revolutionary. How could I have missed that?

I'm a firm believer Ncore amps can be the perfect amp for EVERYONE. It's rides 100% on the input buffer implementation.
Bruno must be so happy. He spent years doing research and development, and came up with an almost brilliant class D implementation, but just couldn't get perfect, no matter how he tried - until you guys revolutionized everything by finally figuring out what was wrong and solving the issue. No hard maths needed, no complicated R&D - just buying the right part and suddenly angels sing and sunlight fills our world. Thank you for making the world a better place for all of us!

Ah, yes, that is truly revolutionary. How could I have missed that?

Bruno must be so happy. He spent years doing research and development, and came up with an almost brilliant class D implementation, but just couldn't get perfect, no matter how he tried - until you guys revolutionized everything by finally figuring out what was wrong and solving the issue. No hard maths needed, no complicated R&D - just buying the right part and suddenly angels sing and sunlight fills our world. Thank you for making the world a better place for all of us!

After all of the years posting on this thread you still don't understand the intentions of Hypex with their products? The reason there's no input buffer on the NC-500's is for the exact reason specified right on the datasheet. Bruno knew full well that his neutral input stage on the NC-400 and Mola Mola Kaluga amps wouldn't be for everyone. But they are an OEM company, so the plan was to leave it to 3rd party manufacturers to combine their artistic touches to create products that appeal to other audiences

Attachments

• NC-500.jpg
    NC-500.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 675
After all of the years posting on this thread you still don't understand the intentions of Hypex with their products? The reason there's no input buffer on the NC-500's is for the exact reason specified right on the datasheet. Bruno knew full well that his neutral input stage on the NC-400 and Mola Mola Kaluga amps wouldn't be for everyone. But they are an OEM company, so the plan was to leave it to 3rd party manufacturers to combine their artistic touches to create products that appeal to other audiences

OK, so you agree that the nc400/Kaluga buffer is pretty much neutral (as Bruno states), and the custom buffer is there to add "house sound" (colouring)?

I guess the stiff initial resistance to class D on those other forums (that you so successfully conquered) was really because people didn't actually like a neutral sound, and wanted some "high end" sound instead...

OK, so you agree that the nc400/Kaluga buffer is pretty much neutral (as Bruno states), and the custom buffer is there to add "house sound" (colouring)?

I guess the stiff initial resistance to class D on those other forums (that you so successfully conquered) was really because people didn't actually like a neutral sound, and wanted some "high end" sound instead...

All of the opamps such as the SIL-994's , Sparko, Weiss, Sito etc are all very good engineer's finest efforts at perfect neutrality. They all measure impeccably. Yet they still all sound different. This is just the reality of what happens when you're not using the exact same components and layout to create a circuit. And each implementation will appeal to different tastes.

All of the opamps such as the SIL-994's , Sparko, Weiss, Sito etc are all very good engineer's finest efforts at perfect neutrality. They all measure impeccably. Yet they still all sound different. This is just the reality of what happens when you're not using the exact same components and layout to create a circuit. And each implementation will appeal to different tastes.

I take that as a very complicated way to say "yes".

The NC-400 was released in late 2011. It's a phenomenal amp, but it didn't appeal to everyone. It wasn't until my input buffer design Colin used in his Nord amps that class D haters finally turned a new leaf.

What a load of complete bollocks.

1. Theta had sold 100s of NC1200 modules in their amps well before the NC500 was even announced
2. You didn't produce an input buffer design at all. Colin uses the recommended design. The only "innovation" is a socket. Whoopee.

What a load of complete bollocks.

1. Theta had sold 100s of NC1200 modules in their amps well before the NC500 was even announced

2. You didn't produce an input buffer design at all. Colin uses the recommended design. The only "innovation" is a socket. Whoopee.

I don't see the schematics for the SIL-994 or Sparko discrete opamps anywhere on the NC-500 datasheet. Theta was using the SIL-994 and Sparko's in their NC1200 input buffer for years? I thought they used the onboard LM4562?

Ahh here we go. The position of the solder jumper for the onboard buffer clearly indicates Theta's using the onboard LM4562 buffer. How is this different from any other NC1200 amp besides the Mola Mola Kaluga? Yes I know they use a linear power supply that Bruno pointed out has EMI issues at 60hz, compared to the Hypex SMPS. Other than that the only thing I see different from the Merrill and Acoustic Imagery NC-1200 based amps is the case and internal wiring. Surely that can't have too much impact on the sound.

71b0acd1429101588553760a7a2aab02.jpg

6a14575f42bf2ef937d0c7b6f7540f8a.png

Status
Not open for further replies.