Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not that this discussion is on-topic at all, but what's to stop someone running 240V to sockets and using European appliances (including amps)?

50hz vs 60hz(US), and in the US opposite phases are used to reach 240v, so there's no neutral. In Europe, the hot is just 240v, and they have their own neutral and ground.

Some power supplies or devices can run either way.

I often advise people that if they really want "balanced power" here in the US, just run a 220Vac circuit to their equipment instead of paying too much money to Equitech for a 120 CT system. Totally legal and code qualified. Most decent equipment is multi ac line tapped these days.

With pro clients running things that eat power (tape machines, consoles, etc) I try and get them to run 220 to lower the IR loss from the panel and to keep balance in the load.

Last edited:
smps600 died with loud boom

Hi,

Today one out of my 4 installed SMPS600 v2's died with a loud boom when turning on (was cold, not running for a day or so before). Checking what happened, I foud that component T8 blew up. Additionally, the top side of the big capacitors seems to be pushed up, though it's not opened and there're no sign of leaks. Not sure if this has anything to do with T8 blowing up. It drove a single ncore400 connected with the supplied cable. Any idea, hint etc. other than contacting hypex?

igy137

Attachments

• 20161123_181908.jpg
    20161123_181908.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 452
  • 20161123_181924.jpg
    20161123_181924.jpg
    343.4 KB · Views: 439
  • 20161123_182047.jpg
    20161123_182047.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 443
SMPS are the best. However I've discovered that the Hypex SMPS's are very unforgiving of shorts. But I suppose the smart thing to do would be to not short them out :)

We finally decided to build an NC-500 based integrated amp. It's going to be something Julf would say is overkill:) We will use a separate ultra low noise power supply for the modulator stage of the amp. The buffer will use 4x discrete class A opamps per channel similar to our Purestream DAC gain stage. Separate supply for the buffer as well using Belleson discrete regulators with 1uV noise and -110 PSRR. The supply powering those regs will only have 760uV ripple noise to begin with.

Attachments

• Puregain  Gain module.jpg
    Puregain Gain module.jpg
    495.1 KB · Views: 391
Last edited:
SMPS are the best. However I've discovered that the Hypex SMPS's are very unforgiving of shorts. But I suppose the smart thing to do would be to not short them out :)

Indeed. Once they are connected up and enclosed in a box, it is not an issue, but while on your workbench...

We finally decided to build an NC-500 based integrated amp. It's going to be something Julf would say is overkill:)
Nothing wrong with overkill as long as it is acknowledged, and not accompanied with spurious claims. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.