Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't you have different groups of electricity in your home? One for the kitchen, one for the washing machine, one for the living room and so on??

That's what I was referring to. In the US, home wiring has two phases, each 120v and 180 degrees out of phase with each other, and a neutral. Most outlets, unless for appliances, use one phase and a neutral. Not only did I put it on another branch circuit, I put it on the entire opposite phase as well.

The motu is one of the most silent interfaces I've seen. The issue isn't present when using another amp with identical gain. Just because it can run higher voltage, doesn't mean the noise floor increases.

Well actually it does. Because it is a digital source maximum output is at Odbfs.

The emu has +12db output at 0dbfs and the Motu +20. So the noise floor with the same amp will be raised +8db. Do not mix that up with the signal noise ratio!

Well actually it does. Because it is a digital source maximum output is at Odbfs.

The emu has +12db output at 0dbfs and the Motu +20. So the noise floor with the same amp will be raised +8db. Do not mix that up with the signal noise ratio!

That's assuming the emu has the same noise floor as the motu, which it doesn't. Also, the motu has trim which can adjust the output levels when the receiving a 0dbfs digital signal.

Anyway, here's the motu 16a output into emu input, and the emu output into emu input. It's not a noise floor issue. The motu into another amp with similar gain is dead silent. I'm only able to detect the noise when the motu is paired with the hypex.

rAADYlV.png

tMXVWTf.png

Last edited:
I have used a Motu 828Mk3 with my ncore400 and ucd400 amps.
I too observe large noise from Motu. I had assumed it was just the inherent noise in the anaolog stage in Motu.

Are you using an USB interface on the Motu, it isnt really isolated from the PC powersupply, so that could be another source.

Another thing i had notice was the Motu outputs are all DC coupled and can push quite a bit of DC through the ncore.
I noticed around 30mv on some channels.

a word on what is "pro" audio

NO *PRO* audio uses 1/4" TRS connectors, they use XLR, or some mass connector like ELCO or DL. If its 1/4", its prosumer.

There is a big difference, as well as the price difference.

I've dealt with a lot of MOTU gear over the years, its not the best built shall we say. My most complimentary remark is that some of it works fine.

Alan

I have used a Motu 828Mk3 with my ncore400 and ucd400 amps.
I too observe large noise from Motu. I had assumed it was just the inherent noise in the anaolog stage in Motu.

Are you using an USB interface on the Motu, it isnt really isolated from the PC powersupply, so that could be another source.

Another thing i had notice was the Motu outputs are all DC coupled and can push quite a bit of DC through the ncore.
I noticed around 30mv on some channels.

I also see the dc offset on this, 32mv. The noise is present even when USB is disconnected. More fun is that when USB is connected, if I power it off my PC decides to BSOD. Probably stray voltage over USB or something.

going with optical TOSLINK spdif or ADAT mux can give you the most galvanic isolation between the computer and the audio portion of your rig.

If you need multi channel support then ADAT can work.

If you go with USB you can get solutions that include galvanic isolation (that's called a correctly installed transformer or LED isolator), but they require more work to identify as many are not isolated.

Cheers
Alan

... no.

residential power in the US is delivered as 3 wire split phase. It's 240v with a center tapped neutral. L1 is 180 degrees out of phase from L2.

3 phase industrial power is 120 degrees, that's not what's used for residential.

Absolutely correct.. I didn't realize the step-down transformer was also a phase spliter and power balancer..

Delivered to your pole this way:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_power_transmission

Delivered to your house this way:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Split-phase_electric_power

Status
Not open for further replies.