Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW an interesting snippet from an NC500 OEM. Apparently there is something inherent to the Hypex NC modules which means they 'need' to be DC coupled. This OEM is not a fan of DC coupled amps as a general rule and uses DC blocking on all their non-NC designs, but their Hypex based implementations are all DC coupled.

DC blocking on input or output? I see no reason for why the NC's wouldn't be perfectly happy with a capacitor on the input.

Ahh a good old Family reunion :)

Interestingly, the people making (arguably) the current favourite DAC, claim this about SMPS...

Poweramp A2.120 | PHISON AUDIO

"We have choosen a classic linear supply for the power amplifier as we have tested different types of SMPS and every time we end up having worse bass performance from the amplifier even is the SMPS is rated 3 times the power of the linear power supply. It is not something that we need to listen extensively to hear, it is obvious right away for everyone that have heard the difference from SMPS and Linear classic powersupply."

Interestingly, the people making (arguably) the current favourite DAC, claim this about SMPS...

Anyone can make claims :)

"We have choosen a classic linear supply for the power amplifier as we have tested different types of SMPS and every time we end up having worse bass performance from the amplifier even is the SMPS is rated 3 times the power of the linear power supply. It is not something that we need to listen extensively to hear, it is obvious right away for everyone that have heard the difference from SMPS and Linear classic powersupply."
I assume that is in the context of linear (class A/B) amplifiers?

Especially HF noise; so maybe more issues?
Class D and class A/B amps both draw power supply current with signal, so I don't see much difference there.
Both would be sensitive to power supply sag because of current peaks combined with not so low impedance power supply.
Class D might be less sensitive to HF noise because of its limited HF bandwidth but I doubt if that is an advantage.
In what respect differ SMPS's designed to drive class D amps from common SMPS's?

Especially HF noise; so maybe more issues?
Class D and class A/B amps both draw power supply current with signal, so I don't see much difference there.
Both would be sensitive to power supply sag because of current peaks combined with not so low impedance power supply.
Class D might be less sensitive to HF noise because of its limited HF bandwidth but I doubt if that is an advantage.
In what respect differ SMPS's designed to drive class D amps from common SMPS's?

One significant difference between SMPS's is whether they are synchronized or not.

Class D amps, by design, have a low pass filter / choke on the output. Yes, it is an advantage, unless you are using your amp as mosquito repellent or are trying to communicate with bats.

Sorry Julf: synchronous rectification is a technique to improve the efficiency of rectification in order to lower the dissipation of the rectifier stage (less heat; less voltage sag under heavy current demand).
It has nothing to do with mains frequency.

I'm not on either side but the diagram in the link shows diodes replaced with switches. If those switches aren't timed correctly with the mains frequency I would expect magic smoke. Well actually a light show and loud poof!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk so there will be spelling mistakes...

Status
Not open for further replies.