Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not see the 10 pole flatcable in the picture. Do you have one? It should be connected...

I actually just got an email about this from Hypex - they're sending me one of these (it was supposed to be included).

A wide case would probable have been more ideal doing stereo.

Maybe the best way is to turn each 90 deg so that the nC power connector face each other. This might require some offsetting alongside to accommodate the cables. I would have liked to run the power feeding to them close to that transformer on the board - that means splitting the paths and probably an offset position of the splitting board.

//

Yes, if I had it to do over again I would definitely have gone with a wider case - I didn't realize how close together the nCore's would be. I do have a longer set of power connector cables that came with the nCore boards - I was thinking I could route them as shown in purple in the picture below. Julf makes a good point - I should probably get things up and running to see if there's an issue before obsessing over an "ideal" layout.

Attachments

• 2016-08-31_13-14-11.jpg
    2016-08-31_13-14-11.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 341
I used the same stereo case from Ghentaudio to built my stereo version with the NC400s and the SMPS1200 power supply. It is a tight fit, but manageable. I routed all my cables through the middle using cable ties over the NC400 units from that cable splitter board supplied by Hypex. I used the original holes drilled by Ghentaudio for those NC400 and the SMPS 1200 modules. The power cable from the power supply has been affixed to the case at the left side in a somewhat elevated position. I drilled some additional holes into the bottom half just behind the PS and in front of the rear assembly for increased convection.. The only "real" problem in my opinion is the heat generated by those two NC400 modules and especially the PS in that small volume (> 45°C). I ended up mounting a moveable fan vertically on top, blowing across the case in my sideboard, which reduced the case temperature by about 10°C.

There are some pictures of this is assembly towards the end of this thread (current position) you might look for.

PS.: I tried uploading those pictures again, but the forum software told me at the end of the upload process, that a "security token" was missing and refused everything, whatever that is supposed to mean....

Last edited:
I used the same stereo case from Ghentaudio to built my stereo version with the NC400s and the SMPS1200 power supply. It is a tight fit, but manageable. I routed all my cables through the middle using cable ties over the NC400 units from that cable splitter board supplied by Hypex. I used the original holes drilled by Ghentaudio for those NC400 and the SMPS 1200 modules. The power cable from the power supply has been affixed to the case at the left side in a somewhat elevated position. I drilled some additional holes into the bottom half just behind the PS and in front of the rear assembly for increased convection.. The only "real" problem in my opinion is the heat generated by those two NC400 modules and especially the PS in that small volume (> 45°C). I ended up mounting a moveable fan vertically on top, blowing across the case in my sideboard, which reduced the case temperature by about 10°C.

There are some pictures of this is assembly towards the end of this thread (current position) you might look for.

PS.: I tried uploading those pictures again, but the forum software told me at the end of the upload process, that a "security token" was missing and refused everything, whatever that is supposed to mean....

All very good suggestions - thanks! I think we might have slightly different cases - the one I got is 315mm long, so there's plenty of space between the power supply and the nCores to mount the connection board - but looking at your layout (it's the one in the picture below, right?), I'm thinking I should raise that board up higher in mine to make sure that the power supply cables aren't in contact with/pushing on the capacitors. I'm hopeful that the additional "space" in the case will keep things a bit cooler, although I may just end up making my own cases with the nCores mounted to finned heatsinks.

Is that gray box in the lower right a fuse? I hadn't thought of installing one, but I guess that might be a good idea because looking at the SMPS1200 it seems as though the fuse is soldered to the board.

Attachments

• burkm ncore.jpg
    burkm ncore.jpg
    827.7 KB · Views: 291
I probably got the "old" version of Ghentaudios's stereo case, which seems to be sowmewhat shorter than yours, same length like the mono version. I thought, he would switch to a wider one in th emean time, as he sent me a drawing of that some time ago, but it looks like he changed his mind and converted it from "wider" to "longer" instead.
That picture is from my stereo unit.

PS.: That gray box "fuse" on the power supply cable is actually an inductor...

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I actually just got an email about this from Hypex - they're sending me one of these (it was supposed to be included).

Yes, if I had it to do over again I would definitely have gone with a wider case - I didn't realize how close together the nCore's would be. I do have a longer set of power connector cables that came with the nCore boards - I was thinking I could route them as shown in purple in the picture below. Julf makes a good point - I should probably get things up and running to see if there's an issue before obsessing over an "ideal" layout.

Hmm, you have that mains 50/60 hz injection for the right one... ;)

What 10pole flat cable if I may ask?

//

I have done something to one of my mono blocks ( it uses the standard SMPS) by trying to drive some ESLs to high SPLs. The music just suddenly cut out and now all I get when I turn the amp on is a regular clicking/ popping sound.

Any ideas as to what I've done or a remedy?

Have you swapped speakers and amps over?

It sounds more like the ESL power supply has failed or diaphragm issues rather than the Amp.

For the NC400x2 kit, there should be a cable that connects the J4 header on the power supply to the adapter PCB (J5 in the attached picture).

I corrected the picture exposure somewhat... to make it clearer :rolleyes:

@chryses
It seems, that you havn't got the "Amp Enable" connected on that little bridge board at least on the previous picture you posted. Your amp won't turn on without this connection...
I checked the Ghentaudio site (www.ghentaudio.com) just a minute ago. Surprisingly the dimensions of the stereo case-kit provided are still those I got for the shorter case. Seems like he hasn't changed that at least on his site...

Brief Specifications
  • Internal size: 193mm(W) x 58mm(H) x 265mm(D)

PS.: This time the upload worked OK, probably because the picture takes a lot less memeory than mine...

Attachments

• NC400 Power Adapter.jpg
    NC400 Power Adapter.jpg
    817.6 KB · Views: 408
Last edited:
What 10pole flat cable if I may ask?

As you can see in the SMPS1200 datasheet, this flatcable carries the Vaux, Amp Enable and DC Error. Mind the jumper settings...

It seems, that you havn't got the "Amp Enable" connected on that little bridge board at least on the previous picture you posted. Your amp won't turn on without this connection.

You can still connect the nAmpOn of the NC400 to a ground point, as you would do if you use an SMPS600. The NC400's software will check the input voltages and determine when to switch on. The SMPS1200 has an Amp Enable feature (open collector). When usinging the Amp Enable in the breakout, the nAmpOn of the NC400 will be automatically pulled low. Its an extra 'feature'. Just check the datasheets for more information.

@chryses
It seems, that you havn't got the "Amp Enable" connected on that little bridge board at least on the previous picture you posted. Your amp won't turn on without this connection...
I checked the Ghentaudio site (www.ghentaudio.com) just a minute ago. Surprisingly the dimensions of the stereo case-kit provided are still those I got for the shorter case. Seems like he hasn't changed that at least on his site...

Brief Specifications
  • Internal size: 193mm(W) x 58mm(H) x 265mm(D)
I think that is the "standard" stereo case he offers - I mentioned that I wanted him to drill holes for the NC400x2 adapter PCB and he told me I'd need a longer case - I think the model I got is actually used for one of his IcePower amp offerings. I think it may also be a little bit taller than the standard NCore stereo case.

I haven't hooked everything up yet, but am planning to connect the nAmpOn wires to the PCB. Will post photos of the build when I'm done ...

Hey guys,

I'm finally doing some work this weekend on my speaker stands which will contain my amp modules and power supplies.

So that means I need to get my connectors and cables ordered. I'm going with Neutrik NC3FP-B-1 for my panel mount female XLR connectors on the back. I'm paying the extra few dollars for gold plated connectors because I hope these cables will stay plugged in for long periods of time once I get my new speakers dialed in.

But I still haven't decided what cable to use between my DAC and the amp modules. Since my speakers are 3 way active stereo I've got 6 channels to deal with and the left side speaker will be at least 25 feet from my DAC. And the outputs on my DAC are RCA so I'll be doing some soldering on one end no matter what.

My first thought is to order three 50' long XLR cables then cut each one so I end up with three 30' sections and three 20' sections. That way I've got good factory terminated connectors on the XLR end and I can terminate the other end myself with RCA connectors. But I'm not seeing many cables with male XLR connectors on both ends.

So what would you guys do here? Would you order 6 commercial microphone cables and cut one end off to use RCA connectors? Or would you just order some raw cable and terminate both ends yourself?

I know there are multi channel XLR connectors but I really want the ability to disconnect individual channels at the amp.

Thanks,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.