Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Hypex Ncore
Hypex Ncore
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 22nd November 2012, 01:34 PM   #5561
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperado View Post
I wonder the volume to blow a fuse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavmike View Post
I was a teenager!

Old 22nd November 2012, 01:39 PM   #5562
mr_push_pull is offline mr_push_pull  Europe
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mr_push_pull
Quote:
As far as the contacts are not degraded, i think the contrary: As the impedance of the tinfoil is lower than the fuse's one, it is more linear with temperature.
But i wonder: klipschorns are pretty efficient, don't they ? I wonder the volume to blow a fuse.
since this thread has largely gone generic...
I wonder... are these effects measurable (thermally-induced distortions)? I've heard the audiophile claims but I wonder if anyone attempted to measure something.

Last edited by mr_push_pull; 22nd November 2012 at 01:42 PM.

Old 22nd November 2012, 02:03 PM   #5563
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_push_pull View Post
since this thread has largely gone generic...
I wonder... are these effects measurable (thermally-induced distortions)? I've heard the audiophile claims but I wonder if anyone attempted to measure something.
Hmm... While typical fuses have a surprisingly large resistance (around 0.1 ohm, depending on current rating), and that resistance is temperature-dependent, the temperature of the fuse would have to change significantly *during the time of one audio waveform* to cause a non-linear behaviour and thus distortion. I think the speakers have a much higher nonlinearity/distortion in themselves.

Old 22nd November 2012, 02:13 PM   #5564
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julf View Post
Hmm... While typical fuses have a surprisingly large resistance (around 0.1 ohm, depending on current rating), and that resistance is temperature-dependent, the temperature of the fuse would have to change significantly *during the time of one audio waveform* to cause a non-linear behaviour and thus distortion. I think the speakers have a much higher nonlinearity/distortion in themselves.
if I were to play the devil's advocate, I'd say that UCD already has distortion levels much below those of most speakers.
I understand that it has to be a transitory phenomena not visible with steady sines (the typical subjectivist claim).
I don't know, really. it's an obvious selling point. I don't believe that it is audible just as I don't believe that -130 dB noise is audibly better than -110 dB. but who knows?

Old 22nd November 2012, 02:23 PM   #5565
Esperado is offline Esperado  France
Banned

Some use Constantan wires in order to avoid the temperature behavior of traditional fuses.
Notice that, most of the time, fuses are on the amp board, and their distortion compensated by the feedback loop.
Loudspeaker side, you can have 3/4db of efficiency losses with temp. More than half the power, not a detail, and moving coils temperature is a major problem in PA systems or teenager's parties.

* Usually, teenagers are more in concern with pimples than distortion.

Last edited by Esperado; 22nd November 2012 at 02:38 PM.

Old 22nd November 2012, 02:28 PM   #5566
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Some use Constantan wires in order to avoid the temperature behavior of traditional fuses.
Loudspeaker side, you can have 3/4db of efficiency losses with temp. More than half the power, not a detail, and a major problem of moving coils.
interesting, I heard about Constantan (have no idea where) but didn't know anything about it.
now the <replace with audiophile fuse price> dollars question: is that a very expensive alloy that requires very high tech equipment in order to be fitted inside a glass/ceramic tube with metal endings?

Old 22nd November 2012, 02:34 PM   #5567
tony399 is offline tony399  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julf View Post
Are we talking about a regulated linear supply, or just the garden-variety, rectifier bridge plus large caps linear supply?

The regulation principle in a SMPS is, as the name implies, based on switching, whereas a linear regulator is based on a linear regulation component that works by adjusting a series resistance (that of course has to dissipate/waste a lot of power as heat).

So a SMPS is like a class D amp, while a linear regulator is just like a traditional, linear/analog amp.
I was referring to regulated linear supplies vs regulated SMPS supplies and the methods used for regulating the output.

It seems that my earlier quote from Bruno was taken to mean that you shouldn't use any regulated supply whereas he was only warning against regulated linear supplies and therefore linear regulation.

A regulated SMPS may behave very differently in that case and if AP2 has tried his regulated SMPS supply with ucd it should be fine with NC400.

Old 22nd November 2012, 02:47 PM   #5568
rondr is offline rondr  United States
diyAudio Member

Almost finished here. The sound is fantastic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2714.jpg (525.1 KB, 289 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2719.jpg (568.6 KB, 270 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2709.jpg (485.1 KB, 265 views)

Old 22nd November 2012, 02:52 PM   #5569
diyAudio Member

nice, clean build, I really like it.

Old 22nd November 2012, 03:06 PM   #5570
Esperado is offline Esperado  France
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_push_pull View Post
is that a very expensive alloy that requires very high tech equipment in order to be fitted inside a glass/ceramic tube with metal endings?
Not at all. Just there is no (as far as i know) any calibrated fuse using -it. So, you have to calibrate your fuse yourself. You can sold-it directly on the board it-self, and just avoid to touch them when under power.

Closed Thread

Hypex NcoreHide this!Advertise here!