Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
IThe SMPS1200 is however different to the other two

Interestingly, my copy of the SMPS1200 data sheet (document revision R8) states the same 3.3-12 V range as the other SMPSs, while the current version at hypexpro.com (R10/V7D1) has different numbers - but the way I read the new data sheet, it specifies the logic levels, not the allowed voltage range.

the Bel Canto amp would appear to use some regulation of the trigger voltage.

Unlikely.

But the external voltage is already there: the 12VDC trigger signal from either a preamp or an AVR or whatever. You just have to route it from i.e. a 3.5 mini socket to that solid state relay, don't you ?
I usually try to follow that "keep it simple Simon..." rule.

Yes, keep it simple but get the logic right first. ;)

So much chatter about something so easy...

If you wanted to get more adventurous you could take power from the mains IEC inlet and use a little AC/DC Power Module from RECOM

http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/468/RAC01_02-SC-16262.pdf

Should provide enough current to meet the needs of the SMPS standby. Pull to ground via MOSFET logic switch (activated by 12V trigger source) to turn on.

Simple, small and convenient. Whip up a PCB for the few parts and Bob's your uncle.

The more I think about it the more I think the little Recom AC/DC power module is likely perfect for this. As I am sure Boggit knows, any device installed within the chassis of a commercial product for sale in Europe would have to meet EU regulations for low energy consumption in standby. This probably fits the bill.

The SMPS1200 Stand-by pin is an opto-coupler input with a 220 ohms resistor (V7 version). Maximum current thought the opto led is 20mA, hence the 5.5V.

Why an external voltage is needed to put the SMPS in standby? The SMPS is designed to work with a low power standby PSU. This way an OEM van meet the ERP standby requirements. As SGK suggested, a small AC-DC power supply is what you need!

Will this type of AC-DC PSU components add extra electrical noise into the main PSU for the amp ?

Through the mains connection, or transmitted through air? Electrically it won't be any worse than all the other wall warts in your house, and the PSU is pretty immune against them. As to wirelessly transmitted noise, I would assume the standard SMPS is more of a source, considering the much higher currents and voltages being switched.

The SMPS1200 Stand-by pin is an opto-coupler input with a 220 ohms resistor (V7 version). Maximum current thought the opto led is 20mA, hence the 5.5V.

Why an external voltage is needed to put the SMPS in standby? The SMPS is designed to work with a low power standby PSU. This way an OEM van meet the ERP standby requirements. As SGK suggested, a small AC-DC power supply is what you need!

It is not! It is a relay and the 220R is the coil resistence. The confusion maybe is caused probably bij the voltage rating of this relay. Smps600 12V and smps1200 5 volt.

It is not! It is a relay and the 220R is the coil resistence. The confusion maybe is caused probably bij the voltage rating of this relay. Smps600 12V and smps1200 5 volt.

Did they change that from one batch of smps1200 to another, as the earlier data sheets specify 12 V max...

12 V into 220 ohm results in 0.6 W of power dissipation, and I can see why you don't want that going on 24/7. 5 V results in a much more reasonable 0.1 W.

Last edited:
I solved this "problem" now in my"Keep it simple Simon" way :)
I am using an USB activated master/slave power strip to power the amps. The pre i am using does offer this USB interface in addition to those 12VDC triggers. When i am turning on the pre the USB interface is powered on too.
I got this powerstrips on hand left over from another installation.
Function is quite simple: a built in 5V power relay is been activated as soon as the USB interface is been energized.
Especially the stereo amp gets quite warm if left turned on, but i don't want to heat my living room whilst not in use.

Doesn't seem to be available anymore though...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.