Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was told by a Hifi shop locally here - once they compare 2xNC1200 brand.
Indeed there are slight differences.

Mola Mola - to my understanding is using special design discrete input buffer (think might be similar to NC400).

Merrill - to my understanding should be using the standard LM op amp as input buffer.

Mola Mola - faster amp + brighter in nature (maybe term as dry ?? or very detail)

Merrill - Warmer and smoother - term as organic ??

Most of the local guys like the Merrill mono better (which is also cheaper).

Last edited:
Yes, he said it had an organic transparency compared to the dry transparency the nc400 has. I am 50/50 on the belief - here people will say it's just more power, but every single review I have come across says similar to his claim ;-)

How many totally independent reviews has there been? The problem with subjective reviews (or one of the many problems) is that they tend to influence and reinforce each other. And perhaps the seller has read the same reviews... And of course the seller has an interest in buyers thinking there is a difference.

Ah ha go on, please buy them :) will cost as much as your Bridging exercise ;-) ...I would love to hear your opinion with them on PL200!!!

No small amount to buy something w/o warranty half way around the world. (I'm locate in Singapore).

That is why I'm looking at Merrill as well.
See some news that Merrill has a model of 2xNC1200 in a casing. (stereo unit)
But cannot seem to find this model anywhere at their website.

Yes, he said it had an organic transparency compared to the dry transparency the nc400 has. I am 50/50 on the belief - here people will say it's just more power, but every single review I have come across says similar to his claim ;-)

I guess we are still at the stage where we don't realize that the buffer is what sets the tonal signature of all of the Ncore amps.

My other worry is possible discontinuation of the nc1200. It may be better for Hypex to create built in PSUs for their next generation of this module. Pity, owing to this uncertainty it's given me cold feet with Hypex, at least until we know what is going on :-(

I doubt this. Theta are shipping lots of their Dreadnaught and Prometheus. No reason for Bruno to drop his Mola Mola either.

So we have a perfect amp. who needs a not so perfect buffer.
Is it possible to avoid the buffer ?

There's a jumper on the NC1200's to bypass the onboard LM4562 based buffer.
aee1e7d9e5f405f46a39655ddbc3fd81.jpg

Last edited:
Still need a buffer though.

I can tell you that I know a lot of Prometheus and Dreadnaught owners who absolutely love their amps with, I believe, the stock buffer. And ATI, owner of Theta, are soon to roll out their NC500 offering. Haven't had the chance to see what buffer will be on that yet.

PS: here's a little buffer I've been working on. Three quad LM4562 equivalents. Nothing to do with Hypex and so very off-topic but it does make me want to turn my attention to a Hypex buffer at some stage.

Attachments

• Board Full.png
    Board Full.png
    123 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:
Julf, et al

The SMPS1200A400 offers two power outputs, J4 (NCore specific, 2x5 IDC Boxheader) and J5 (Aux/PS control, 1x7 JST type).

Hypex support recommends hooking up to the NC400 using a combination of J4 and J5. The majority of the NC400 input cabling is routed to the 1x7; the remaining 2 wires (nFATAL and nAMPON) are attached to the 2x5.

It appears this could be a source (unnecessary sharing of ground planes?) for added noise and/or heat between the two outputs. All other Hypex SMPS appear to connect with a standard 10-pin ribbon cable only.

For the past few days my NC400's run exclusively from the 2x5 connector, without any connections to the 1x7. As best I can tell, the amp is running much cooler and the audio quality has improved significantly.

Here's a repost of the wiring diagram from yesterday.

It describes the connections used and touches on some other aspects (J7 grounding scheme and SMPS orientiation).

Thanks,
Sten

Attachments

• NC400 - SMPS1200A400 - Revised Diagram.jpg
    NC400 - SMPS1200A400 - Revised Diagram.jpg
    323.8 KB · Views: 258
It appears this could be a source (unnecessary sharing of ground planes?) for added noise and/or heat between the two outputs.

Unlikely. The ground isn't really an issue, and just wiring topology won't affect heat.

For the past few days my NC400's run exclusively from the 2x5 connector, without any connections to the 1x7. As best I can tell, the amp is running much cooler and the audio quality has improved significantly.
What is important is that the nc400 receives a suitable voltage on pin 11 of J7. Would it be possible for you to measure the voltage between pins 11 and 7 (or 8) on J7 on the nc400? The presence of the right voltage there definitely affects heat and probably also sound quality.

Can you please name the technical requirements of such preamp?
And an example of a commercial product just for reference would be useful.
And of course you need a board to interface with the multipin connector of the nc500.
I don't know how simple this board could be.

You need suitable voltage gain, and a low enough output impedance / high enough output current capability. I don't have the NC500/NC1200 data sheet handy right now, but I am sure bavmike can give the numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.