Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't intend to spark a whole TAG McLaren debate here, but they went under for various reasons, couldn't recoup RnD due to machining a lot of their own connectors and other bespoke things. AFAIK the F1 Loudspeaker price was £22K MKI and £28K for the MKII later ...this link had $30K mention when the Dollar to Pound was not quite as bad back then http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php?1548-TAG-Mclaren-Loudspeakers ...I could be wrong, apologies if so

Anyway, my point really was about an oldish technology (fairly well regarded, 'boutique' possibly) amplifier vs the nCore best there is with 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% distortion right now... I'm not hearing very much difference ...as suggested possibly my hearing is impaired being in my early 40s; and fair enough maybe I do need to take another hearing test because my Wife often tells me I'm not listening to her :)

F1 speakers I think will be a good test with these nc500...still are amongst the best I've heard, much like high end Wilson Benesch I listened to few years ago which I thought sounded very natural (warm and pleasing to my ears) with wide image...but dead honest, nothing has made my jaw drop and make me fumble for my credit card, not fearing for the consequences of my Marriage thereafter ;-)

The high end DAC is my last high end venture... I hope it's nice

What happened to your fancy Monitor Audio speakers? Did you ditch them right before the Nord purchase?

A board with two op amps, less than a dozen resistors, a handful of HF filtering and power decoupling caps and a few connectors would be hard to get very wrong. Besides the op amps, what components is Boggit using? High quality caps and thin film resistors? I think Boggit said that Hypex reviewed (and assisted with) their board layout. So maybe it's a stuffing problem on that particular board?

Ti33 - you can bring your NC500 amp over to my place and give it a whirl with my Egglestonworks Andra IIIs. We can start with a test run on my Egglestonworks Rosas which I have as surrounds. Or maybe we start with the Andra III centre channel just in case it all blows up! Sorry, but it will be rather difficult to bring the speakers over to your place...

Well both boards have the identical noise. So if something's built wrong, it's on both boards.

What happened to your fancy Monitor Audio speakers? Did you ditch them right before the Nord purchase?

No Sir, I have them and listening intensely right now, simultaneously viewing an image of Futurama's Hypnotoad, hypnotising myself into believing they are the very best there is so I won't spend any more money 8-}

Attachments

• 0003971684_10.jpg
    0003971684_10.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:
so up to 6W per channel and ignoring the diode drops and transformer losses in the calculation?

Hypex note the SMPS idle loss at 9W. For a power supply that will drive a stereo amplifier.

The difference in idle dissipation between class AB / LPS and class D / SMPS will be pretty negligible.
2 x NC400 + 1 x SMPS600 would take 18W; 200W class A/B + LPS a bit less.
Efficiency of NC400 will be lower than 93% average (93% only at full power); efficiency of class A/B some 50% ?
So in the end the difference in average power consumption of both amplifiers (amplifying music signals) will be pretty meaningless IMO.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
The difference in idle dissipation between class AB / LPS and class D / SMPS will be pretty negligible.
2 x NC400 + 1 x SMPS600 would take 18W; 200W class A/B + LPS a bit less.
Efficiency of NC400 will be lower than 93% average (93% only at full power); efficiency of class A/B some 50% ?
So in the end the difference in average power consumption of both amplifiers (amplifying music signals) will be pretty meaningless IMO.

You still haven't given the name of a commercial class A/B amplifier that will deliver 400w into 4Ohms and a stereo amp will idle at under 20W. I've never found one. Or are you comparing apples with guava ?

Hi I can report I hear no noise from mine. And indeed many customers comment on the silent, silent parts. Here is a mail from a customer. Hi Colin,
The Nord Ncore amps are amazing. They will have been running 2 weeks straight this coming Monday 2-22-16. They were pretty great out of the box but, for my taste, the treble/highs had a bit of a bite. Now, they are very smooth and sweet. Very powerful and they are dead quiet, so quiet it's wonderful. Details come out of nowhere. I listen a lot late at night and at low volume, they are clear and clean. For the roughly $2300 delivered, a bargain. I like them better than the Devialet that I had. They have more tone/density/body. Just wonderful. I find the Sparkos op amp perfect for my taste.
Thank you so much for a wonderful product. Excellent service and awesome quality.

Hi I can report I hear no noise from mine. And indeed many customers comment on the silent, silent parts. Here is a mail from a customer. Hi Colin,
The Nord Ncore amps are amazing. They will have been running 2 weeks straight this coming Monday 2-22-16. They were pretty great out of the box but, for my taste, the treble/highs had a bit of a bite. Now, they are very smooth and sweet. Very powerful and they are dead quiet, so quiet it's wonderful. Details come out of nowhere. I listen a lot late at night and at low volume, they are clear and clean. For the roughly $2300 delivered, a bargain. I like them better than the Devialet that I had. They have more tone/density/body. Just wonderful. I find the Sparkos op amp perfect for my taste.
Thank you so much for a wonderful product. Excellent service and awesome quality.

What input boards was he using? It's not much noise, but it's audible. But isn't audible with the Hypex boards.

hypex ncore

He was using Sparkos Op Amps so he was using Nord Input boards!

Yeah seen that was just editing. Anyways it's not much noise. If someone had a tube preamp or something it would be noisier. I'm guessing about 100 db S/N ratio based on other gear I've tried that had about the same level of noise. For example the Hypex PSC-2.400's with my DAC connected to the analog inputs is rated as S/N 101 and it's about the same level of hiss. It would only bother someone with really sensitive speakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.