Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2014
Paid Member
I'm comparing the nc500 to my TAG amps and so far they have not exceeded much sonically

What did you expect? Unicorns in the room? hearing things that were 10 miles away from the studio at the time of recording? Once you get to a certain level differences are minimal if actually detectable with the human ear. Your ears have hit that point.

Well the 2db could make the difference I guess. But so could hearing levels. Some can't hear as good at those frequencies of the noise. It's not a big deal, just noise levels typical of a standard class A/B amp. But would be nice to see the measured results. And I do agree that a bit of noise isn't bad if the sound are better. The sonic imagery 994's do sound better if you ignore the loud hiss in the background. But that discrete opamp is rated with a -140db noise floor, so the noise is coming from the board, not the 994.
Forgot to say that when I was listening for hiss etc the amps were at full volume which is +3 on my Audiolab but when playing loud the Audiolab is set at -28 ish.
Also my ear was against the tweeters

What did you expect? Unicorns in the room? hearing things that were 10 miles away from the studio at the time of recording? Once you get to a certain level differences are minimal if actually detectable with the human ear. Your ears have hit that point.

I think I am hoping the Unicorns will appear ...you may be right; I am still wishful thinking that you may be wrong :-(

Lol that did make me laugh ...now I need to find some good recordings that wow me :)

That is the funny thing - I listen much more to spotify and Internet streaming these days (something that throws true audiophiles into conniptions). It really helps me find new, interesting music - and if I *really* like something, I might then get it on CD or as lossless download.

...any interesting music you have come across that show off the intricate resolution of nCore ?

Spotify is good like you say for discovering music - if you've not tried Dave Matthews Band, there are some good albums like Crash and GruGrux King which have excellent background detail and image thereof...unfortunately I've noticed that Spotify recently only seems to have some Live recordings, which were not that good - I tried to listen to some of these Albums at Boggit's place via Spotify, as familiar with some tracks, but they weren't available :-(

Forgot to say that when I was listening for hiss etc the amps were at full volume which is +3 on my Audiolab but when playing loud the Audiolab is set at -28 ish.

Also my ear was against the tweeters

Yeah ears aren't precision measurement instruments.

Anyways I tested the LM4562 that's in the standard Hypex OEM buffer board and same noise as with the Sparko in place. Swap to the Hypex board with everything connected the same, and positioned the same and dead silence.

b10d5dd52ba21a413bc580a00c092026.jpg

...any interesting music you have come across that show off the intricate resolution of nCore?

I have to admit that I judge music mostly by the musical content rather than recording quality unless the recording is especially bad. Many musicians seem to prefer a lo-fi approach as it supposedly makes them more "genuine" (or something).

If you've not tried Dave Matthews Band
I am familiar with DMB - I agree it is annoying that spotify has a very limited number of albums available, but DMB has always been known as an excellent live band.

Yeah ears aren't precision measurement instruments.

Anyways I tested the LM4562 that's in the standard Hypex OEM buffer board and same noise as with the Sparko in place. Swap to the Hypex board with everything connected the same, and positioned the same and dead silence.

b10d5dd52ba21a413bc580a00c092026.jpg
Perhaps Boggit can throw some light on what may be causing this to happen I am sure he had the boards tested against the Hypex ones.

Tag McLaren F1 Avantgarde speakers - Floor Standing Speakers | HiFi In Touch

If they were so wow how come they flopped? Other than some small clique you hang around in almost no one has seen or heard these. We get you are a fanboi, but is this really the thread to shoot your load on this long dead brand?

Uh? Who says they flopped?

I don't know about you but I've never heard or seen ANY £15k speakers whether that's mid-90s price or todays pricing.

They weren't mass produced and that precisely was Tag McLaren's intention when they got into the hifi business. Just read an interview with the designer/ manager of TAG McLaren. The intention was entirely to be exclusive and gain a reputation for quality - sonic quality in the hifi market.

That Tag McLaren later pulled out of the scene was to do with internal brand politics, not down to commercial success in their targetted market.

You keep swinging your TAGs. Wasn't they more design than sound. I don't hear much about these anymore... Hyped per price when they entered the market - never managed to impress...

//

If you read the reviews, they did impress. The intention was about sound - many of the models are plain boxes like Audiolab are. Only some models pushed design/construction.

I'm no fanboy either - just a general hifi enthusiast and hence I've come across them enough to know (though never heard any). I guess hifi enthusiast is completely different to DIY enthusiast - I guess if you don't look up from your particular focus then you won't see that next to you is another world where similarly everyone has their eyes down focused on their thing too.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Uh? Who says they flopped?
Tech radar, who we know are as reliable as wikipedia :p 7 dead tech brands we really miss. Kinda | TechRadar

I don't know about you but I've never heard or seen ANY £15k speakers whether that's mid-90s price or todays pricing.
I have. Few were worth the money.
They weren't mass produced and that precisely was Tag McLaren's intention when they got into the hifi business. Just read an interview with the designer/ manager of TAG McLaren. The intention was entirely to be exclusive and gain a reputation for quality - sonic quality in the hifi market.
So like every other boutique manufacturer with high prices?
That Tag McLaren later pulled out of the scene was to do with internal brand politics, not down to commercial success in their targetted market.

Got a cite on that? I couldn't find anything, only references that sales were low.

That is the funny thing - I listen much more to spotify and Internet streaming these days (something that throws true audiophiles into conniptions). It really helps me find new, interesting music - and if I *really* like something, I might then get it on CD or as lossless download.

x1000. And I listen on my Sennheiser HD280 Pro's via the headphone out on my workstation or laptop the most.

Heart of Darkness said:
The horror! The horror!

Tech radar, who we know are as reliable as wikipedia :p 7 dead tech brands we really miss. Kinda | TechRadar

I have. Few were worth the money.

So like every other boutique manufacturer with high prices?

Got a cite on that? I couldn't find anything, only references that sales were low.

Didn't intend to spark a whole TAG McLaren debate here, but they went under for various reasons, couldn't recoup RnD due to machining a lot of their own connectors and other bespoke things. AFAIK the F1 Loudspeaker price was £22K MKI and £28K for the MKII later ...this link had $30K mention when the Dollar to Pound was not quite as bad back then http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php?1548-TAG-Mclaren-Loudspeakers ...I could be wrong, apologies if so

Anyway, my point really was about an oldish technology (fairly well regarded, 'boutique' possibly) amplifier vs the nCore best there is with 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% distortion right now... I'm not hearing very much difference ...as suggested possibly my hearing is impaired being in my early 40s; and fair enough maybe I do need to take another hearing test because my Wife often tells me I'm not listening to her :)

F1 speakers I think will be a good test with these nc500...still are amongst the best I've heard, much like high end Wilson Benesch I listened to few years ago which I thought sounded very natural (warm and pleasing to my ears) with wide image...but dead honest, nothing has made my jaw drop and make me fumble for my credit card, not fearing for the consequences of my Marriage thereafter ;-)
The high end DAC is my last high end venture... I hope it's nice

Status
Not open for further replies.