Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a bake off with the Mirus DAC vs MDAC, including modified MDACs ...Mirus was professed to be in another league by everyone that attended. It is around 7 times more costly nonetheless ;-)

Yes it an extremely high resolution, revealing DAC. Designed for the ultimate in transparency. Too transparent for some. But the key is to balance the system for the best synergy. This is the beauty of being able to swap the opamp's with this amp.

No they don't get brighter. Just get more natural sounding. Is your preamp really smooth? I was using them with a super transparent DAC at the time with a noise floor and transparency on par with the NC500's, so there really wasn't anything in my system to add additional smoothness. I found the balance about right with the Sparko's. Nothing like my new buffer's, but for discrete opamp's they were my second favourite next to the Sonic Imagery's. My speakers also have very revealing ribbon tweeters as well. You have the Scan-Speak soft domes that are silky smooth as well. So if your preamp is smooth, the opamp is smooth, and the tweeter, it may be a bit too much smooth. The Dexa's might be a better synergy with your system. It's hard to say what's perfect for your system, this is why it would be perfect to try at least 5 different opamps.

At the moment the Bursons sound very good in fact I am vey happy.
How do you think they will change after burn in.

Also I think I should keep the Sparkos for later when my new DAC arrives so I can test them again then.

I do need to add that the 8200CD is a 'smooth' sounding Source, which lacks ultimate resolution - the Designer admitted it was rushed to production

Believe, like me who has also been waiting patiently (years) for this FDAC, we are in for a treat!

Hi ti33er so based on my findings have you decided which op amp to go for with your NC500s.
As I said in another post I will hold onto the Sparkos op amps in case I find the system changes when I get the FDAC and I need to tone it down.

Hi Colmo

I think I would need to decide with the FDAC in my system as this will be doing all of my music! Hopefully middle of this year, hopefully, we start getting them :)

Interesting, but I just got a message from a TAG McLaren owner/friend, who tested opa627 (known to work well in the AV32R / AV192R substituting the 2134 OpAmp), then opa827, then BURSON v5 and Sparkos... He is French, message pasted below...

"Hi Paul,

I have done multiple tests with the Opa.
The biggest winner is undoubtedly the V5 BURSON, the sound and the last is the most detailed, the scene wider and the various frequencies that stand out the most.
The second is the SPARKOS, the sound is very good but the soundstage is less extensive and less detailed instruments.
The third is the 827 and the last is 627.

For the test I took the CD Tag Mclaren which is very well mastered all possible sounds.
With BURSON and TMREQ of AV32R, Tag DP sound is much higher than that of the REF3 AUDIO RESEARCH, even with the DAC of Chord.

Both McIntosh amp (MC7270 and MC500) are used instead of Tag amp"

Not sure how long they were in his system for, if burning them in will make one suit his system better than the other later?

First post

And anyone searching this thread for a post from Bruno suggesting an SMPS is better than a LPS for powering the NC1200 will come away sorely disappointed after hours and hours of searching through lots of drivel with few golden nuggets. There are various references like "this has been covered before" or "Bruno says" but it wasn't and he didn't.

This is me! haha I am about to build up a pair of NC400's and I am looking for info on the best PSU designs for them. After hundreds of pages of content no real info on PSU options or testing.

I have to think with all of the back and forth about opamps (which I love), one would think you guys would have also questioned SMPS vs a LPS. I know I have tested both with his UcD modules and have found very different results then what Bruno has suggested. In fact I have 2 on my bench right now. Both sound really great but are in fact different.

Has anyone else done this kind of testing with his Ncores?

This is me! haha I am about to build up a pair of NC400's and I am looking for info on the best PSU designs for them. After hundreds of pages of content no real info on PSU options or testing.

I have to think with all of the back and forth about opamps (which I love), one would think you guys would have also questioned SMPS vs a LPS. I know I have tested both with his UcD modules and have found very different results then what Bruno has suggested. In fact I have 2 on my bench right now. Both sound really great but are in fact different.

It was long before the Ncore's that it was determined the SMPS's are better than LPS's for their amps. This is why they ditched their LPS's, and now only sell the SMPS. It wasn't a move to degrade performance.

Last edited:
This is me! haha

Alright, you got me! ;)

I have done UcD 180, 400 and 1200 and NC400 in varies ways. I have in fact done two UcD400HG, one where I removed the LM4562 and fed it with a diamond transistor circuit, linear power supply.

The other UcD400 I did was one that Guido Tent sent me to assemble for a customer, the hybrid amp:

page43_1.jpg

So again, the LM4562 was removed and tube front-end with gain. Not a DIY kit for newbies - there were a couple of things I needed to get in touch with Guido about.

page43_3.jpg

It had 2 x 300VA transformers

With the UcD180HG I did, left the LM4562, but added a unity gain tube buffer in front.

So I can speak with some experience, when I say:

Whether you use SMPS or linear supplies, and I have done both and so have friends of mine, yet the NC400 and SMPS600 together beats the lot of them.

NC400.jpg

I call this My Mighty Tiny Amp. :)

So there you are. What will the NC400 sound like with linear supply? Don't know, but I doubt if better, and maybe just different, as you say.

Last edited:
Alright, you got me! ;)

I have done UcD 180, 400 and 1200 and NC400 in varies ways. I have ....

...following a lot of words and a picture...

Don't know, but I doubt if better, and maybe just different, as you say.
what is the reason for your post? a lot of words and you say nothing ;-(

if you do test in the past, why not sharing your results / findings?

What Colin should do is, buy about 10-15 sets of compatible dual opamps (both discrete and IC) and send the complete amps into a lab that has the latest AP measurement gear. They can do the full gamut of tests on the complete buffer/amp combo with each opamp in place. The same tests we see on the Hypex spec sheets. Even if many of the opamps measure the same, folks will at least have the piece of mind that they don't make anything worse. And if they do, it might be subjectively preferred by some anyways.

Then the tweaker crowd can report on the subjective differences heard between the different opamps, and see if there's any correlation between the measured results, and what they hear.

Then he can have a feedback section on his webpage where users can report their subjective impressions of each opamp.

I thought you had already doe this with a variety of op amps and your discrete design...

At the moment the Bursons sound very good in fact I am vey happy.
How do you think they will change after burn in.

Also I think I should keep the Sparkos for later when my new DAC arrives so I can test them again then.

I would say that if an op amp takes more than a fraction of a second to 'burn in' it's outright scary.

100 hours or so

I wouldn't want a component with that much drift in my system.

Last edited:
So, no one has done any testing other then what info was put out by Hypex?

Well, real world testing shows different results then what is suggested from Hypex. With just a good solid linear (nothing crazy or high fi) vs the stock Hypex SMPS the differences can be drastic.

Theta did this testing and went in favour of a massive LPS for their Prometheus and even with the Dreadnaught where space is at a premium they went with LPS. Of course, there may be reasons other technical ones for their decision. But there may not be.

Coupling an NC400 / 500 / 1200 module with the applicable Hypex SMPS hardly qualifies as DIY. At best it is IKEA-style self-assembly. (That doesn't at all make it a bad project or inferior amp.)

Doing an NC build with my own linear supply is a project I would love to do at some point. Perhaps when I have finished my current amp projects. It was higher on my priority list before Theta did exactly what I wanted. The Dreadnaught D is fantastic value.

Status
Not open for further replies.