Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is not so easy to express. When you listen Sarah Brightman's solo, she is more alive with more nuance. NC400's sound signature is like I put the speakers behind a curtain. (I exaggerated)

That could be either a slight difference in upper treble, or the other systems having more harmonic distortion in the upper frequencies.

I also noticed something else. When only one or two instruments are playing, distortion is not apparent but when the whole orchestra comes into the action,instruments started to be mixed by the amplifier. I am not sure if the reason is IM distortion.
I haven't noticed IM, and the measurements don't show it being an issue either.

That could be either a slight difference in upper treble, or the other systems having more harmonic distortion in the upper frequencies.

I haven't noticed IM, and the measurements don't show it being an issue either.

If an amplifier has more harmonic distortion in the upper frequencies, does it sound "more alive"?

Regarding IM distortion, I think it is measured by mixing two frequencies. Does it totally reflect the real life? I witnessed myself that published factory data sometimes does not reflect the real life. When I buy something, I personally trust my own ears rather than the factory data.

If an amplifier has more harmonic distortion in the upper frequencies, does it sound "more alive"?

We don't have a very good definition for what "more alive" means either, but that is how a sound that has a bit of extra HF distortion is often described, along with "feels closer and more there with you".

Regarding IM distortion, I think it is measured by mixing two frequencies.
Two or more frequencies, but usually two, because adding more frequencies doesn't change the actual result.

Does it totally reflect the real life?
Nothing reflects real life *totally*, but it does give a good idea of the amount of IM. Making the test signal more complex doesn't change the measurement result, it just makes the measurement more difficult.

I witnessed myself that published factory data sometimes does not reflect the real life. When I buy something, I personally trust my own ears rather than the factory data.
I prefer independent measurements. The measurements manufacturers publish don't always tell the whole story, and human ears (or rather ear-brain systems) usually don't tell the true story (in an objective, repeatable and reliable way) either (especially in sighted listening). I am sure we have had that discussion a fair number of times in this thread... :)

Yes, I think so but I believe that it is not the only problem. Instruments in the orchestra are not rendered separately. I noticed this problem with some other amplifiers. I have Onkyo TX-NR905 receiver and it has similar problem. I also have push pull 6550 and 805 SE tube amplifiers, I can say they are very good for classical music but their output is weak for R700.

I don't have much experience with tube amps, but i have tested amps like Lindemann 855, which is a very good amp (too bad it had the fan noise) or NAD M3. I found NC400 more airy, and separation between instruments was better.

The separation between instruments should not be the problem. To me that is not characteristic to NC400 at all and it makes me wonder if the problem is somewhere else (the source). The problem should be more like that NC400 sounds too light to your ears and you want more warmth. I don't know exactly what it means, but that is what 1-2 people are telling me. I have heard the warmest and brightest monents with NC400 and each recording sounds different in tone and sound stage. IIRC, it could go a notch deeper in bass, but there we are touching subject that is too sensitive for this forum.

I am not familiar with the CA products tho. I used to own CA DVD player. Maybe those are just exceptionally good...at least for you.

Last edited:
Audibility of amplifier distortion is a never ending debate; until now as far as I know no one has been able to demonstrate the sonic character of an amplifier by it's distortion profile.
It is OK if one prefers to have an amplifier with impeccable specifications and trusts it will sound as good as possible. It is also OK if one prefers to select an amplifier by listening. Just two different attitudes and not worth arguing about.
Already some years ago I was interested in the impact the different power supply options might have on the NC400 sonics.
The norm seems to be SMPS which is quite understandable with respect to weight and maybe other factors. However these SMPS's get rather hot, hotter actually than the amplifier, and this might be an issue (long term reliability).
This is not an issue with a high quality linear supply, especially when high quality rectifiers and electrolytics are used. A good linear supply (no hum; low inner resistance) will give the amplifier a solid "feel" as well (weight).
Instead of trying different input stages for NC500 it might be interesting to do a good comparison between the different power supply options. Might be interesting for NC400 as well.

Last edited:
Really! In my some fourty years of audio career I never could declare the sonics of an amp by it's specifications. As long as amplifiers work within their capabilities of course (no clipping; able to drive difficult loads when necessary). And IMHO studio engineers are not the guys to ask; most of them suffer from hearing loss caused by their profession.
Not interested in power supplies??

Really! In my some fourty years of audio career I never could declare the sonics of an amp by it's specifications. As long as amplifiers work within their capabilities of course (no clipping; able to drive difficult loads when necessary).

Even a valve amp with 0.5% of low-order distortion?

And IMHO studio engineers are not the guys to ask; most of them suffer from hearing loss caused by their profession.
Good point.

Not interested in power supplies??
Not me - I feel it would be a real shame to power a class D amp with a linear power supply.

Not me - I feel it would be a real shame to power a class D amp with a linear power supply.

Dave Rich of Theta wouldn't agree with you.

http://thetadigital.com/downloads/images/Theta_Digital_Prometheus_Internal.jpg

http://thetadigital.com/downloads/images/Theta_Digital_Dreadnaught_D_Interior.jpg

When Stereophile did their glowing review of the Prometheus I asked John Atkinson is he ever thought about arranging a direct shootout between the Prometheus and the Mola Mola - the differences just being the stock input buffer versus Bruno's discrete buffer and the power supply. It would have been an interesting shootout. Regretfully he responded that they weren't able to source a set of Mola Mola in order to do the comparison.

Last edited:
Yes on both counts. And perhaps technical reasons to go for one as well. Personally, I'd like to see the same bakeoff Pieter would like to see. A Prometheus and a Mola Mola side by side would be interesting.

And anyone searching this thread for a post from Bruno suggesting an SMPS is better than a LPS for powering the NC1200 will come away sorely disappointed after hours and hours of searching through lots of drivel with few golden nuggets. There are various references like "this has been covered before" or "Bruno says" but it wasn't and he didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.