Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Truer words have never been written!

I have been building/fixing valve guitar amps for years, have had a few months practice with my first hot air rework station, and have nevertheless just managed to peel off 2/3 traces while attempting to very gently free the first of the L7815s... it's like they've been wedged into the board in anger.

Long and short of it, if anyone has a spare NC500 input board surplus to requirements, I will pay your expenses, a few beers and do (almost) any kind of favour you ask...

Nevertheless, until I rather overestimated my own capabilities, I have been hugely impressed with the NC500s.

Happy new year, by the way - and thanks to all who have contributed their expertise, knowledge and experience to this great thread. It sure isn't your fault that people like me read it and try to act on it!
First happy New Year to all.
I suggest you get in touch with Nord - IQ Speakers they will probably be able to help.

Thank you, I will do.

I managed to bridge the broken traces with some jumpers as a temporary fix. I thought all was working again with the HxRs, unfortunately I am now getting drop outs (CLIP LED comes on) after the amp is on for 30 minutes to an hour.
I'm not sure if this is linked to a problem with the buffer board, or the change to the new regulators. I hope I haven't damaged anything in the module itself.

Hello Mr Colmo

This is the main thread, lots of banter daily MDAC First Listen (part 00101100) - Page 51 - pink fish media

JW has just employed somebody to help with the Digital Board design so he can get back to finishing off the Analogue Board

You will need to ask him if there is a space left. It's about £400 down now for Dev costs, £300-400 the board is likely to cost and another £300ish for the bespoke aluminium milled chassis with touch LCD panel etc.

MiniDSP are onboard and he will offer Slave units for people that want to go Active

I believe these will be something very special once completed ...hoping by June this year wil see them coming off the production line (Analogue Boards will be built and tested by the Man himself) :)

I am sure there is an appropriate subsection for DACs on diyaudio...

The odd distraction here or there doesn't harm (I could quote some Motor talk a few pages back ;-)) ...I intend very much to couple this FDAC with my nc500s...am hoping they will make a very good match, banking on this seeing as it's intended to be the most accurate DAC ever made, like these super-accurate amplifiers! ...maybe even get Slaves to go Active with nCore one day too...if I feel brave enough :)

What's happened to Mr Boggit...been very quiet, hope N@D or B£LCANTO didn't @&$%# him already

There's a nice buffer in this box I wouldn't mind testing out.
1ad29e290fcfd285fbc339f9d0227bdf.jpg

Playing a lot of catch up here but.... I thought the Kaluga used the standard on-board NC1200 buffer stage. Is this not the case?

(Btw the Theta Dreadnaught NC1200 based amp is hard to beat for value.)

I've read the New Guy thing before... But I'm not sure he is 100% correct

OPA627 and 2134 are very similar but 627 seems to be spot on with the claims it's smoother and has a more pleasing full sounding bass ...compared with the friend who has F1 McLaren speakers (on DIP8 socket) a few times over to be sure

Read Douglas Self's Small Signal Audio Design (2nd ed) chapter 4 for an objective appraisal of these.

I'm pretty sure the NC1200 uses the exact same buffer, but located onboard. On the NC1200 datasheet, it's says the buffered S/N ratio is 128db.

He says those measurements are usually taken with the inputs shorted. His measurements were just taken at the outputs with the buffers powered up.

He said the noise is simply Johnson noise from the onboard resistors. It's not the opamp creating the noise.

Regarding the first statement, is this confirmed or, as implied, unconfirmed speculation? As a Hypex OEM I'd expect you to have the definitive answer.

Btw there is something seriously wrong with your measurement of the "stock" NC500 LM4562 input buffer module. The LM4562 is much better than that and I can't believe Hypex would offer such an awful implementation. (Apologies for referencing a post from Nov, especially if things have been corrected in later posts.)

BTW can you repost your measurement of your discrete class A input buffer with the noise floor of the AP shown as well?

Seriously if you used the exact same input buffers on both, you would probably have a hard time telling them apart. Don't judge them by the price. Technology has made it to the point (thanks to guys like Bruno) that quality this good can be obtained at this price point.

The 1200 is just for people who just need to have the flagship product. And will pay. It's for people who won't buy it unless it's expensive. Because without the price, you don't get the same "status" and "bragging rights"

These people avoid this forum like the Black Plague believe me. Let's be a bit more open minded here and evaluate the product before judging.

Nah. On a price per channel basis one can get the Theta Dreadnaught NC1200-based, linear, supply (if you value it), amp at a price that isn't that dramatic a premium to Boggit's offering. Buy smart and don't pay retail. And then you'd have an amp from a reputable producer with better specs and better resale value.

And "these people" don't avoid this forum...:D

Status
Not open for further replies.