Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had been thinking Multichannel configuration myself

Reckon you could get away with 3 x SMPS 1200/700 for a five channel configuration

1 x SMPS dedicated to the Centre
1 x SMPS for L + RL
1 x SMPS for R + RR

Cinema, the most important speaker is the Centre (and Subwoofer) so here you are optimised with a dedicated SMPS (L/R and Rears...much less happens, especially least the Rears)!

Stereo, the Rears won't be used so you're getting pretty much the entire PSU like this

Nord NC500 Monoblock Power Amplifiers

Obviously I have not compared my new amplifiers with many other amplifiers but the more I have listened to them the better they sound.
They are so clear and detailed I am completely happy with them. Everytime I play my favourite violin concertos the violin sounds so sweet and pure. I love them.

My first test with knowledgeable HiFi enthusiast (music producers Wednesday) Worked all day building standard amp, so he had something to compare it with. (supplied bottles of real ale and hand cooked crisps salt and vinegar) Long and the short he preferred the Sparkos. I can now instantly hear the difference its that noticeable. He thought the Burson had tighter bass, I thought they had better mids and highs. But for pure enjoyment the Sparkos wins they are just so rich and involving.

My first test with knowledgeable HiFi enthusiast (music producers Wednesday) Worked all day building standard amp, so he had something to compare it with. (supplied bottles of real ale and hand cooked crisps salt and vinegar) Long and the short he preferred the Sparkos. I can now instantly hear the difference its that noticeable. He thought the Burson had tighter bass, I thought they had better mids and highs. But for pure enjoyment the Sparkos wins they are just so rich and involving.
Very interesting.
I am intrigued to know which I will prefer.

The nc500 vanilla is as good as ordered...a friend is/should be collecting my TAG amps early January

Tag stuff is very good already, so I'm not sure it will be a hUGe improvement for me, but I think the MAs will sing better with a bit more current :)
I suppose not but it is always exiting to get new equipment.
The NC500s have certainly improved my system.
My wife is not a classical fan but yesterday she said could you play one of your violin concertos they sound very nice lately.

He thought the Burson had tighter bass, I thought they had better mids and highs. But for pure enjoyment the Sparkos wins they are just so rich and involving.

You thought the BURSON or Sparkos had better mids and highs!?

Mr Deaf cat has BURSON v5 in his Tag McLaren DPA (it's like a PreAmp), been a few weeks - he may correct me if I'm wrong but the BURSON has changed its signature slightly since this infamous Burnin has been in situ (treble smoothed out a bit) ?

Been one hell of a day! Input buffer board rev B done all working and tested OK
On way back to me for evaluation.
First production Nord Ones made from start to finish for first customer serial no 1001
On test ready for shipment tomorrow. To say I'm knackered but over the moon is an understatement.
Nord%20Buffer%20board%20Rev%20b_zpsmw0ndvxt.png

IMG_1874_zpssm5elhdd.jpg

As you are using the Hypex SMPS 1200 to power a pair of NC500, may I ask you to measure the AC power of your device in the following conditions:

SMPS 1200 alone, on idle not standby
SMPS 1200 + one NC 500 if possible, on idle

I ask you that because I use 4 of the same SMPS 1200 (rev 6 for me) and on idle, I can measure around 18W AC consumption instead of the "typical" 9W of the datasheet.
The standby mode consumption is correct though (about 0.75W). Of course I checked with a 300 MHz bandwidth scope that no HF oscillations are present.

On the same subject, the NC1200 idle power is around 25W instead of typical 15W of the datasheet.

JC

...quiet around these parts?

Still recovering from holiday festivities... But in any case, I wish you all a happy and successful additional orbit around the Sun! :)

Julf, I added a ferrite magnet to my DTV antennae and now my TV shows an amazing purple hue that is the most natural I have ever seen. Even my 4 year old Daughter told me she could see the difference!!!

(That's got to stir a response) :-D

Are you sure it was purple and not violet? :)

I recommend ordering some HxR regulators and replacing the L7815CV's on the buffer boards. Just be careful removing them as they are jammed in tight. If not heated enough with an air gun, you risk peeling back some of the PCB traces. If you don't have the right tools, take them to someone who does. Don't ask me how I know :)

Truer words have never been written!

I have been building/fixing valve guitar amps for years, have had a few months practice with my first hot air rework station, and have nevertheless just managed to peel off 2/3 traces while attempting to very gently free the first of the L7815s... it's like they've been wedged into the board in anger.

Long and short of it, if anyone has a spare NC500 input board surplus to requirements, I will pay your expenses, a few beers and do (almost) any kind of favour you ask...

Nevertheless, until I rather overestimated my own capabilities, I have been hugely impressed with the NC500s.

Happy new year, by the way - and thanks to all who have contributed their expertise, knowledge and experience to this great thread. It sure isn't your fault that people like me read it and try to act on it!

Status
Not open for further replies.