Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
There has been a lot of concern about the output wires forming an antenna loop right at the point of connection to the module. The twisted pair then opens up and connects to a pair of binding posts on the amplifiers rear panel. A loop at that point is more likely due to spacing between the posts. Is that not a problem?

Probably not on Speakons, but on binding posts?

The difference is that the connectors on the module are very close to things that can interfere (or cause unwanted feedback effects), while you usually don't have any HF sources or sensitive electronics near the binding posts on the rear panel.

Back to understanding standby.

So is the amplifier module's standby functionality equivalent to just muting the source and leaving the amp fully on?

I do understand that with no input signal, most of the switching transistors are probably off and the quiescent heat produced should be much lower than when playing at loud volume levels.

I do understand that with no input signal, most of the switching transistors are probably off and the quiescent heat produced should be much lower than when playing at loud volume levels.

Sorry, was called away from my computer before responding to this second part of your posting.

With no input signal (or a signal of zero amplitude) the transistors are still switching, at a 50/50 pulse width, but losses are at minimum. In a class D amp, the switching transistors are always switching between fully on and fully off, but the duty cycle / pulse width changes with the input signal.

Sorry, was called away from my computer before responding to this second part of your posting.

With no input signal (or a signal of zero amplitude) the transistors are still switching, at a 50/50 pulse width, but losses are at minimum. In a class D amp, the switching transistors are always switching between fully on and fully off, but the duty cycle / pulse width changes with the input signal.

Ah, that makes total sense, now that i think through.

So just muting the source is going to be close to playing the music and standby is the right way to idle the amp powered on.

Ah, that makes total sense, now that i think through.

So just muting the source is going to be close to playing the music and standby is the right way to idle the amp powered on.

Probably not going to muck around with my current amps to incorporate standby. Something i will definitely do on any new build.

If only i could get hold of some NC500s module for a reasonable price :)

Boggit's price is great though.

There is nothing wrong as such with just switching off mains power - the SMPS has a soft start function - but I definitely prefer to put my amps into standby when not playing. Fortunately it was easy for me to have the source do that automatically.

I agree the best way for the on/off switch would be to put the amp and more importantly the power supply's into standby mode. The PSU's require a positive voltage in order to shut down. This would require an external voltage supply and an additional circuit board and cost! Its will be something I will look at doing in the coming year. You also have to have room in the case to add this feature. It would be ideal though.

Leave it on playing music around the clock for years. They will be fine. They're not like tires on a car, or brakes that wear out with use.

That doesnt make sense. Nobody is taking about mechanical wear here.
These are densely packed components and I cant believe some of them especially the electrolytic caps dont have any thermal ageing. Granted they are rated for some temperature.

nAMPON appears very simple to use, to me it makes sense to employ it.

hypex ncore

These are densely packed components and I cant believe some of them especially the electrolytic caps dont have any thermal ageing. Granted they are rated for some temperature.

Yeah you're right. Maybe after 10 years or so you may need to change out $3 worth of caps :)

Nothing I'd lose sleep over over. By then Hypex will have the Ncore 3 out anyways :)

Unlike the big old dinosaur Macintosh's etc.

Still leaves the PSU's powered though.

Status
Not open for further replies.