Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am pretty sure *I* am not audiophile approved :)

That's what audiophiles say until you tell them that's what Genesis uses on their $360000 Dragon speakers. Then all the sudden, they sound amazing!

a7e0d95871272803aa35d1304e08d8cf.jpg

I'm often amazed how much audiophiles worry about meaningsless aspects and pay hardly any attention to what really matters.

If they only spent half the time to focus on polar measurements, speaker lobing, acoustics, placement of speakers and integrating subwoofer(s) as they do with cables, connectors, power conditioners, etc. they would have awesome sound systems!

I wonder how much of this is the cause of hifi and quality sound gradually dying.

If they only spent half the time to focus on polar measurements, speaker lobing, acoustics, placement of speakers and integrating subwoofer(s) as they do with cables, connectors, power conditioners, etc. they would have awesome sound systems!

But that actually requires effort and knowledge, instead of just buying the box/tweak of the week. And it is harder to show to your friends.

I wonder how much of this is the cause of hifi and quality sound gradually dying.

That, and the sorry state of hi-fi magazines and (many) web sites - but that is because they have to make money, and you only make money by giving the audience what they want, in an easily digestible form.

But that actually requires effort and knowledge, instead of just buying the box/tweak of the week. And it is harder to show to your friends.

That, and the sorry state of hi-fi magazines and (many) web sites - but that is because they have to make money, and you only make money by giving the audience what they want, in an easily digestible form.

They will spend $5000 on a pair of speaker cables, and turn their noses up at you when you suggest upgrading the cheap garbage Bennic Xovers in their $60000 speakers.

But they think the bennic's were used to "voice" them to perfection. It had nothing at all to do with keeping the BOM low and profit high. But can't really blame these manufacturers for using these cheap parts. Might as well soak them for all they are worth if they don't know the difference anyways.

But why even bother making something that actually contains components? Your profit margin is much better if you sell "quantum realignment" wood blocks, magically "remastering" USB memory cards, or a lacquer that makes transistors sound like tubes.

I think all those "products" are strong evidence of what is wrong with the industry, but as we know, the only evidence accepted by audiophiles is anecdotal.

But why even bother making something that actually contains components? Your profit margin is much better if you sell "quantum realignment" wood blocks, magically "remastering" USB memory cards, or a lacquer that makes transistors sound like tubes.

I think all those "products" are strong evidence of what is wrong with the industry, but as we know, the only evidence accepted by audiophiles is anecdotal.

Your selling a religion at this point, not solid engineering. People would rather believe in something that's not real, rather than what is. If you can actually see and understand something, it's too boring. It must be surrounded by "mystique". This way it gets the imagination going, and makes the illusion real to the listener. This is much more desirable.

Your selling a religion at this point, not solid engineering. People would rather believe in something that's not real, rather than what is. If you can actually see and understand something, it's too boring. It must be surrounded by "mystique". This way it gets the imagination going, and makes the illusion real to the listener. This is much more desirable.

Indeed. And that is why true audiophiles hate double-blind tests, and come up with all kind of silly artificial arguments to justify their hate.

Well I think I believe in a few more things than Julf does. Such as jitter etc, but I don't think this industry is 100% free of snake oil.

And I believe in evidence. :)

Jitter is not something I "believe" or "don't believe". Jitter is a well-known and well understood phenomena (part of my own background is in telecommunications - where we somehow, magically, manage to transmit gigabits of data all around the world without ill effects every second). The part we might disagree on, and that a lot of people take on faith, is under what conditions it is audible. Really bad jitter is of course audible because of bit loss/corruption. Lesser amounts of jitter can be audible with some DAC architectures, but the effect of jitter is also very easy to eliminate totally by the use of a buffer and an independent clock - or by having the DAC clock be the master clock for the source, like it is done in the pro audio world.

Any way, none of this has anything to do with hypex ncore...

And I believe in evidence. :)

Jitter is not something I "believe" or "don't believe". Jitter is a well-known and well understood phenomena (part of my own background is in telecommunications - where we somehow, magically, manage to transmit gigabits of data all around the world without ill effects every second). The part we might disagree on, and that a lot of people take on faith, is under what conditions it is audible. Really bad jitter is of course audible because of bit loss/corruption. Lesser amounts of jitter can be audible with some DAC architectures, but the effect of jitter is also very easy to eliminate totally by the use of a buffer and an independent clock - or by having the DAC clock be the master clock for the source, like it is done in the pro audio world.

Any way, none of this has anything to do with hypex ncore...

Your right, back to Ncore!

Boggit is quiet. He must be working hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.