Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually I am using the 2x2.5mm Van Damme Tour and Studio ...why the 4mm?

Overkill? :)

One of the great things about the nc400 is the extremely low output impedance, so I wanted to minimize any cable resistance. OK, obsessing about damping factor is a bit silly too, but...

I had QED XT400 (Silver) but it did make things sound a bit to bright
Maybe try to leave the cables in vinegar overnight - that makes them darker... :)

@Bavmike The adding of the capacitance was with my Abrahamsen V2.0 A supply a an upgrade board taking it to 100,000uF. I would not touch the SMPS in the Hypex Im guessing using 2 PSU would have a similar affect on SQ over using one to drive 2 NC500.
Cheers for the 36 pin info we found it was a Samtec part, Farnell Newark do them but not the 36 pin, I'm going to see if I can order from Canada or the USA! We have 2 on the way but from Europe 5-7 day lead time, I need to source some for the production run. Really appreciate your efforts. Colin

Well Boggit will have the Sparkos, Burson and LM4562 to plug in and evaluate in his new buffers. I do not mean to put pressure on him but it will be interesting to hear his views on all of them and if the difference is very marked.
Boggit no need to rush, we know you are very busy so take your time.

Well Boggit will have the Sparkos, Burson and LM4562 to plug in and evaluate in his new buffers. I do not mean to put pressure on him but it will be interesting to hear his views on all of them and if the difference is very marked.
Boggit no need to rush, we know you are very busy so take your time.

Absolutely, take your time Mr Boggit ...we are all looking forward to this, me certainly - the order will come once I know what it is to order :)

Absolutely, take your time Mr Boggit ...we are all looking forward to this, me certainly - the order will come once I know what it is to order :)

From a discussion I have had with someone who knows both the Bursons and Sparkos I am leaning towards the Bursons but in the discussions I talked about the type of music I liked violin, piano and orchestral. It may be that the Sparkos would suit other people more depending on their taste. Of course it may be that I would also like them more and I may have to try them as well later but I am going to start with the LM4562 and then move to the uprated buffers with the Bursons.

I figure if the OpAmps will make a difference, it's going to be partnering equipment that will make us decide, which suits what ....for me, I'm trying to avoid Acetic/harshness/Clinical - the Oppo BDP-105D I have currently exhibits some of these undesirable traits in my setup

If the BURSON or Sparkos add some pleasing distortion (tube-like) I will be happy

Each to their own, that will be the beauty of having this option (can have a new Amp every 6 months)!

Last edited:
As I keep saying, the best solution is a DSP box where you can tweak the sound as much as you want, and even switch sound character for each record. Maybe use something like SPL TwinTube?

Thanks Julf ...that looks interesting; how much does this cost?

TBH I would also like to keep my box count down a bit and simplicity for Wife useage is a must....if this can be done in the Amp (if it's feasible) it's best in my situation.

Reason I'm in for the John Westlake FDAC is the AV Bypass, so my Lady doesn't needs to know much to use it whilst I'm not home - she won't touch my Tag Processor and I don't think it's hard to use ;-(

Thanks Julf ...that looks interesting; how much does this cost?

Not sure, but there are a few open source, free alternatives. But that is just the plug-in - you need a processor to run it.

TBH I would also like to keep my box count down a bit and simplicity for Wife useage is a must....if this can be done in the Amp (if it's feasible) it's best in my situation.

You can always hide a raspberry pi inside the amp box... :)

From a discussion I have had with someone who knows both the Bursons and Sparkos I am leaning towards the Bursons but in the discussions I talked about the type of music I liked violin, piano and orchestral. It may be that the Sparkos would suit other people more depending on their taste. Of course it may be that I would also like them more and I may have to try them as well later but I am going to start with the LM4562 and then move to the uprated buffers with the Bursons.

Also depends on the application. Most people are using these in applications that require much less current. The Sparko's have much higher current capabilities. And they run in class A up to 15ma. The NC500's only draw 10-12ma.

So this may influence the sound. But based on my experience with the V3's, they had enough current for the job, but Sparko's sounded better. But they did make improvements since. Also don't judge until after 200 hours burn in. They all sounded brittle at first.

I figure if the OpAmps will make a difference, it's going to be partnering equipment that will make us decide, which suits what ....for me, I'm trying to avoid Acetic/harshness/Clinical - the Oppo BDP-105D I have currently exhibits some of these undesirable traits in my setup

If the BURSON or Sparkos add some pleasing distortion (tube-like) I will be happy

Each to their own, that will be the beauty of having this option (can have a new Amp every 6 months)!

Just buy 100 meters of the cheapest speaker cable you can find. It may help filter out the nasty jitter from the Oppo :)

A big thanks to bavmike. The info provided by him from the Canadian Farnell Newark site enabled me to find in the UK Farnell, and I looked really hard too I knew they did the Samtec connectors but could not find them in the unusual 36 pin 2 row config, Anyway I have ordered another 2, hopefully arrive before the ones from Rapid. Again Many Thanks

No problem. You won't find better. Samtec uses Phosper bronze conductors with a layer of silver plating and a layer of gold over top. If you compare to cheaper alternatives, they use brass with nickel/gold plating.

Another thing I noticed is that on those pics of the NC500 with the white gooey stuff around the bases of the rail caps (100uF/100V) those look to be fairly bog-standard Samwha. You could consider upgrading them to low impedance types - another Korean manufacturer Samyoung does good ones - their NXA range looks to have a compatible part, although taller at 25mm. The ripple current rating (they don't show ESRs) is more than twice those Samwhas.

I have some of these Samyoung NXA caps (100uF/100V, 10*25mm) now and the measurements are very impressive. The ESR measures 40mohm at 10kHz which is by far the lowest ESR 100uF cap I've ever found. Highly recommended for anyone curious about the potential sonic benefits of updating their nCore power supply.

Overkill? :)

One of the great things about the nc400 is the extremely low output impedance, so I wanted to minimize any cable resistance. OK, obsessing about damping factor is a bit silly too, but...

Maybe try to leave the cables in vinegar overnight - that makes them darker... :)

I went for the 6mm Van Damme "hi-fi series" on the vague rationale that more copper is better :) As my monoblocks are so close to the speakers, it's only 1m length (actually I could have done 50cm) so not much difference in cost at this length.

I went for the 6mm Van Damme "hi-fi series" on the vague rationale that more copper is better :) As my monoblocks are so close to the speakers, it's only 1m length (actually I could have done 50cm) so not much difference in cost at this length.

OK, so you win with 0.006 ohm vs. my 0.009 ohm, but had you indeed cut it down to 50 cm, you could have had it down to 0.003 ohm. "Everything matters" :)

Status
Not open for further replies.