Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
AFAIK with Resistors it's only the high feedback areas they make a discernable difference

Is it because of lower noise or higher linearity?

We could argue this DAC chip measures TERRIBLY, but it sounds like a million bucks $$$

Just like a lot of valve amps, and most vinyl pick-ups - it just shows that what people *like* and what is objectively transparent are very different things. But real hipsters prefer cassette tapes anyway... :)

Don't know the answer to that, but Resistors can make a difference from personal experience ...and was relieved when Mr Westlake (backed me up after a comment) was bemused to find, when designing the AUDIOLAB MDAC that his prototype boards were not all sounding the same...hence discovered it boiled down to the Resistors!? He is the one claiming the Vishay ZFOIL are the best he has come across since; I've only tried Dale-Vishay which warm things up and refine treble compared to SMD that were there.

Don't know the answer to that, but Resistors can make a difference from personal experience ...and was relieved when Mr Westlake (backed me up after a comment) was bemused to find, when designing the AUDIOLAB MDAC that his prototype boards were not all sounding the same...hence discovered it boiled down to the Resistors!?

Personally I appreciate the designers and engineers who make the effort to figure out why something happens or affects the end result - the only way to achieve an optimal result is to understand the underlying mechanisms. After all, without Bruno making the effort of figuring out what was wrong with the way people thought about feedback in class D amplifiers, working out a better model, and sharing it with the engineering community, we wouldn't have the ncore amps we have today.

hypex ncore

Yes getting a bit off topic here. Just interested, or wonder if something like that BURSON SUPREME OPAMP might improve that input buffer on the nc500?

Buy one and try it.
424cbbf6ddeeb945df23deb032badd43.jpg

Last edited:
Absolutely. As I have stated, I am more than happy having my 2 x 4 nc400's sharing 4 SMPS600's pairwise in an active setup, where not all amps will need full power at the same time (if ever - in each pair, one is bass and one is either mid or treble).
Dragging this back imto the light as I came over some new infomwhen looking closer at it.

The datasheet for the smps3k states that the power suppøy is not suited for usage below 100hz. A regular speaker operate below 100hz. That would indicate that the smps3k is not suited to drive several nc400 that is going to be used to drive regular full range speakers...

Here's a noise floor comparison of the stock LM4562 buffer compared to my discrete pure class A buffer.

668ce23a73c2e505319177d1b3e00ba1.jpg
fa0f26d2a899ca88a8380a394625569d.jpg

Those look extremely suspicious... The stock LM4562 should look more like the second one. This deviates so greatly from what one would expect that makes to question also the 140dB SNR claims of the 'class A' buffer that were made before. How was that measured? What is the total noise level in Volts at the output of a buffer or the NC500 with this buffer?

Those look extremely suspicious... The stock LM4562 should look more like the second one. This deviates so greatly from what one would expect that makes to question also the 140dB SNR claims of the 'class A' buffer that were made before. How was that measured? What is the total noise level in Volts at the output of a buffer or the NC500 with this buffer?

I'm waiting to get more answers on how the testing was done. The SMPS1200A700 wasn't used. Agilent E3634A supplies were used to power the buffers. The measurements were taken from the outputs.

These are the 3 plots I received.

1st is stock buffer LM4562 board untouched, besides upgrade to HxR Voltage regs:

b4506589162a36e8d399c8651fb7b8e7.jpg

2nd plot is same board with a few mods and same LM4562 opamp:

27f68c80166bc037f7ade72c999292b6.jpg

3rd plot is the new discrete class A buffer:

be5b359ba3a0fb70b526c9d355643904.jpg

I'm wondering if it was picking up noise from the input during the testing? I sent the boards in with a short cable connected with a Neutrik XLR connector soldered on.

I'm waiting to hear what was connected to the input while the tests were being conducted.

Status
Not open for further replies.