Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
The point I was getting at is the Internet makes it far too convenient to not have to rely on the facilities in our brains to make decisions.

On the other hand, before the Internet, a lot of people relied on magazines, with an even more one-sided view. These days the information is out there if you are prepared to find out - unfortunately most of us still only read what we believe.

Yes there should be less bashing about prices and more praise on this forum. Before Hypex came around the choices for DIY amps were far inferior, bulky, expensive, and labor intensive to build. Since this is the DIYaudio forum, this is what people should be focusing on.
Hear, hear!

Hi all, I have consolidated some class D, AB, H and AAA amp test data into Excel and just added some NC500 data in it so I decided I would make a thread here at diyaudio as well (I'm a regular at faktiskt.se forums) since I believe some good discussion could be had around these graphs. Even though the data is not perfect (far from it but it's all we have..)
:cheers: (NC500 is in the process so when it is done (Excel can be tedious!) the rest of the graphs come up. Let me know if you have another amp review with reasonable test data you want in.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/clas...d-12-popular-power-amps-class-d-ab-h-aaa.html

So Bavmike, I think you thought the nc500 was a bit warmer and could go a bit louder, that was all? Mids/Bass all the same?

There's definitely more coloration with the IC opamp, than the discrete circuit in the NC400. It's not bad sounding at all, but once you hear the amps with a good discrete buffer, there's no turning back.

But you get what you pay for in this world. Boggit couldn't possibly sell his amps for the 999 GBP a pair with a fully discrete pure class A buffer stage.

Thanks, so with defaults (in your opinion) is the treble a bit rolled off compared to the nc400? Are mids etc more coloured, as in warmer sounding?
Just curious as the nc400 is apparently as neutral as they come!

Nothing is rolled off. The opamp gives a very linear flat response. It's more about tonal qualities. Every IC opamp has its own tonal signature. The tonal signature of the LM4562 isn't bad, it's just not pure music coming through. But I do feel it would perhaps be more forgiving than the NC400 of lesser quality source electronics. I ended up bypassing the buffer stage on the stock boards I have, as well as modding some of the weak links. So I don't have any "stock buffered" boards to listen to anymore. So my memory is fading a bit on the sound.

And of course everyone who hears any NC500 based amp will say:

"The NC500's sound like ".........." And "............" But in reality they will be describing the sound of the input buffer. Because the NC500's have no sound.

Thanks, it's interesting the LM4562 won an Award for being one of the best ICs a few years ago... I tried these and the HA (metal can versions) in my TAG McLaren AV32R-DP and they had great bass, but treble was grainy - I think they were not fit for purpose though in that application...the OPA627 seemed to be the best (slightly smoother than 2134 OpAmp).

John Westlake thinks OpAmps are not great for Audio and designs fully balanced circuits instead, AFAIK

A lot of people would say that OpAmps add a certain hardness to Audio... ? I've not had a DAC or Amp that didn't have OpAmps and I've never been satisfied with treble (always too bright) so who knows ....I will have an FDAC hopefully early next year by John Westlake, looking most forward to this - no OpAmps ...let's see :)

I've read the New Guy thing before... But I'm not sure he is 100% correct

OPA627 and 2134 are very similar but 627 seems to be spot on with the claims it's smoother and has a more pleasing full sounding bass ...compared with the friend who has F1 McLaren speakers (on DIP8 socket) a few times over to be sure

Status
Not open for further replies.