Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are free to make stupid choices in this world as well. Well maybe not if you live in North Korea.

So why are people so upset with the Volkswagen diesel engines and emission tests? Weren't they free to choose whatever they wanted?

Suggested reading: False advertising

Short summary: "False advertising, in the most blatant of contexts, is illegal in most countries. However, advertisers still find ways to deceive consumers in ways that are legal, or technically illegal but unenforceable."

Last edited:
Well I will part with ...and you wonder why Hypex modules break down - it's because they are very cheaply made if they can be sold at that price.

Someone said Bruno makes these things at the best price with no compromise ...I don't believe it now the truth has been slipped...if OEM get it at that price, how much are they making it for :)

I tried to buy all my HiFi new this season to support 'the Industry' and made many compromises to save up the money, but I'm just a shmuck fueling an overpriced Industry in doing so.

Disillusioned

Think about it; if Blurays cost £5 most people would probably buy them, but because they are £15-20 most people choose to download them nowadays (I don't for the record as dislike Piracy, but see why other people do)

Well I will part with ...and you wonder why Hypex modules break down - it's because they are very cheaply made if they can be sold at that price.

Someone said Bruno makes these things at the best price with no compromise ...I don't believe it now the truth has been slipped...if OEM get it at that price, how much are they making it for :)

Not sure I agree - the OEM modules are (I assume) made in much larger batches and quantities, and support is geared towards a few, knowledgeable OEM engineers. The nc400 modules are made in small quantities, will never recoup R&D costs, and have to pay for support to hobbyists, some of whom need serious hand-holding. I doubt Hypex makes much money on the nc400, no matter what the price.

Think about it; if Blurays cost £5 most people would probably buy them, but because they are £15-20 most people choose to download them nowadays (I don't for the record as dislike Piracy, but see why other people do)
And still some people charge *more* for the download than for a physical CD. And talking about downloads - the worst scam of all is the whole "hi-res" shambles, where material from old analog tapes (or standard-res digital recordings) is repackaged and resold to us at a premium price...

hypex ncore

I tried to buy all my HiFi new this season to support 'the Industry' and made many compromises to save up the money, but I'm just a shmuck fueling an overpriced Industry in doing so.

Disillusioned

As far as I know the return rate of Hypex amp modules is very low. And in the rare cases of returns, they send out free replacements, even when beyond the warranty period from what I hear.

I've personally never had a module break down on me. But I've had several amps break down before Hypex.

I think you should look into OEM costs of pretty much every product on the market. You might just decide to move into the forest, live off the land, and isolate yourself from society.

How much do you think it costs Starbucks to make a cup of coffee, or the bakery to make a loaf of bread?

As far as I'm concerned all Hypex has done as made it possible for audiophiles around the world to enjoy higher quality amplification, at a much more reasonable price.

If you only knew Monitor Audio's cost on the Chinese made drivers used in your speakers you'd probably vomit.

Last edited:
Not sure I agree - the OEM modules are (I assume) made in much larger batches and quantities, and support is geared towards a few, knowledgeable OEM engineers. The nc400 modules are made in small quantities, will never recoup R&D costs, and have to pay for support to hobbyists, some of whom need serious hand-holding. I doubt Hypex makes much money on the nc400, no matter what the price.

:up:

As far as I know the return rate of Hypex amp modules is very low. And in the rare cases of returns, they send out free replacements, even when beyond the warranty period from what I hear.

I've personally never had a module break down on me. But I've had several amps break down before Hypex.

I think you should look into OEM costs of pretty much every product on the market. You might just decide to move into the forest, live off the land, and isolate yourself from society.

How much do you think it costs Starbucks to make a cup of coffee, or the bakery to make a loaf of bread?

As far as I'm concerned all Hypex has done as made it possible for audiophiles around the world to enjoy higher quality amplification, at a much more reasonable price.

If you only knew Monitor Audio's cost on the Chinese made drivers used in your speakers you'd probably vomit.

How would you know what the return rate is on Hypex DIY modules? Have you done some online analysis or are you just putting your finger up in the air and guessing?

And still some people charge *more* for the download than for a physical CD. And talking about downloads - the worst scam of all is the whole "hi-res" shambles, where material from old analog tapes (or standard-res digital recordings) is repackaged and resold to us at a premium price...

This is absolutely right.

We also have to consider the cost associated to; running a customer service function, predicted failure rate for refunds, running a b2b sales team, shipping, office and factory space, managing supplier relationships, manufacturing equipment, abiding the international law associated to the sales of electrical goods and the list goes on.

None of the latter is cheap and I can confidently say Hypex P+L is a little bit more complex then the creation of a module + selling that module = major profit.

If that was the case, I'd imagine even bavmike would be a billionaire by now.

So why are people so upset with the Volkswagen diesel engines and emission tests? Weren't they free to choose whatever they wanted?

Suggested reading: False advertising

Short summary: "False advertising, in the most blatant of contexts, is illegal in most countries. However, advertisers still find ways to deceive consumers in ways that are legal, or technically illegal but unenforceable."

Not sure. They are getting better economy, power and reliability. And probably less pollution to the planet in the end. This is because these diesel cars usually last 500k +. And the modern emissions crap is so expensive to replace that people usually just chop it off when it plugs up which is usually before 200k. So for the final 300k+ it's spewing completely unfiltered toxins into the atmosphere.

From where does this rumor/assumption of high failure rate come from? I mean doesn't that require proving and analysis not the other way around?

However, if there was a big problem with nc400 failure rate, i am sure there was a lot more people asking for help in this thread if there was still something to do about it. I haven't seen many such cases. What Thommy has been experiencing is really weird. I'd expect one module to be dud at a time, but both and the SMPS is acting out too...very unusual to say the least.

Last edited:
However, if there was a big problem with nc400 failure rate, i am sure there was a lot more people asking for help in this thread if there was still something to do about it. I haven't seen many such cases. What Thommy has been experiencing is really weird. I'd expect one module to be dud at a time, but both and the SMPS is acting out too...very unusual to say the least.

I agree. If I had 2 modules and 1 SMPS go bad on me, while most people don't have any issues, I would start looking at something peculiar to my specific situation.

It is of my opinion that the electrolytic capacitors used in Hypex are cheap off-brand crap from China. Would a few extra bucks in the BOM for Rubycon, Nichicon, United Chemicon or Panasonic capacitors be too much to ask?

Mikrotik (maker of networking stuff) too thought it was okay to cheap out on junk capacitors, then all the returns came in after a couple years of products being in production.

It is of my opinion that the electrolytic capacitors used in Hypex are cheap off-brand crap from China. Would a few extra bucks in the BOM for Rubycon, Nichicon, United Chemicon or Panasonic capacitors be too much to ask?

Mikrotik (maker of networking stuff) too thought it was okay to cheap out on junk capacitors, then all the returns came in after a couple years of products being in production.

I heard the Samwha caps (although Korean made) are pretty decent. But if your an OEM, and order enough volume, I'm sure they can be factory customized with any parts.

If your not I guess you have to buy as is, or try to find a better option.

No, that will give you 48 V (2 x 24 V). Go from either 3 to 5 (ground), or 5 to 7. Make sure your LED is OK with 16 V - no problem with a LED with a simple series resistor, but could be tricky if there is an internal regulator.
Not sure what it has think it is a resistor, it is a Schuster press button switch that needs 24v DC to get the ring illumination going. I thought the aux was near enough 24v By the way My supply is 230 V

Not sure what it has think it is a resistor, it is a Schuster press button switch that needs 24v DC to get the ring illumination going. I thought the aux was near enough 24v By the way My supply is 230 V

Your supply is 230 V *nominal* - so is mine, supposedly, but it goes from 215 to 235 during a typical day. The Aux voltage of the SMPS600 is defined as 2 x 21 V typical (at 230 V), with anything between 2 x 16 and 2 x 24 depending on mains voltage.

Do you have an adjustable power supply? It would be easy to see if the LED works even down at 16 V.

Your supply is 230 V *nominal* - so is mine, supposedly, but it goes from 215 to 235 during a typical day. The Aux voltage of the SMPS600 is defined as 2 x 21 V typical (at 230 V), with anything between 2 x 16 and 2 x 24 depending on mains voltage.

Do you have an adjustable power supply? It would be easy to see if the LED works even down at 16 V.
Afraid no way of testing apart from a battery, I suppose 21 v is not too bad but if it drops too much the light will go out.

Afraid no way of testing apart from a battery, I suppose 21 v is not too bad but if it drops too much the light will go out.

You might just have gotten yourself a mains low voltage detector. :)

Any low voltage condition is likely to be temporary, and if you are in the UK, your voltage is really 240 V - the European harmonization happened by deciding on a compromise between the UK 240 V and the Continental 220 V without changing anything. UK is "230 V +10%/-6%" (so 216 - 253 V, median 234 V) and Continental is "230 V +6%/-10%" (207 - 244 V, median 225 V).

Status
Not open for further replies.