Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
After 2.5 weeks of listening to NAD M22 and switching back to DIY NC400, i must say that i like NC400 more.

But that does not mean NAD M22 is by any means bad amp. It's a great amp if you're up for smooth/warm sounding mids without the last bit of resolution. Many people like amps like that, which are more about macro information and less about the micro information. I think some call this "musicality". That is not my thing tho. I need the last bit of resolution even tho it reveals some bad recordings.

Many times its more beneficial to read what the reviewer says about the sound than what he/she prefers.

Last edited:
After 2.5 weeks of listening to NAD M22 and switching back to DIY NC400, i must say that i like NC400 more.

But that does not mean NAD M22 is by any means bad amp. It's a great amp if you're up for smooth/warm sounding mids without the last bit of resolution. Many people like amps like that, which are more about macro information and less about the micro information. I think some call this "musicality". That is not my thing tho. I need the last bit of resolution even tho it reveals some bad recordings.

Many times its more beneficial to read what the reviewer says about the sound than what he/she prefers.

I call it the Hypex HxR regulators powering Bruno's ultra transparent discrete opamp's vs IC voltage regulators powering IC opamps.

But I agree it will all come down to personal taste, and the gear used in the chain before the amps.

Well you can call my opinion biased all day long.

I am sure we all have better things to do all day long.

Like the datasheet says, the NC400 reaches 1% distortion at 400w into 4 ohms. The NC500 reaches 1% distortion at 700w into 4 ohms.

And the difference is about 2.5 dB. How often do you play at full volume?

Of course the situation is different if you have a difficult-to-drive speaker - a lot of speakers with a 4 ohm nominal impedance can drop down to 1-2 ohm at some frequencies.

hypex ncore

I am sure we all have better things to do all day long.

And the difference is about 2.5 dB. How often do you play at full volume?

Of course the situation is different if you have a difficult-to-drive speaker - a lot of speakers with a 4 ohm nominal impedance can drop down to 1-2 ohm at some frequencies.

If I was given a choice between an amp that sounds great at low volume but starts to strain at high volume, and an amp that sounds great at both low and high, I'd opt for the second choice.

But of course the only way to do an apples to apples comparison between the NC400 DIY and NC500 OEM would be to use the NC400 buffer stage with the NC500.

And yes some speakers can, like the ones I've been using to run the NC500's through the paces.

Last edited:
If I was given a choice between an amp that sounds great at low volume but starts to strain at high volume, and an amp that sounds great at both low and high, I'd opt for the second choice.

If I was given a choice between an amp that sounds great at high volume, and can deal with low impedances, and an amp that sounds great at high volume and even slightly higher (2.5 dB more) volume, but starts to strain with low impedance loads, I would (as I have done) go for multi-amping using the first choice.

If I was given a choice between an amp that sounds great at high volume, and can deal with low impedances, and an amp that sounds great at high volume and even slightly higher (2.5 dB more) volume, but starts to strain with low impedance loads, I would (as I have done) go for multi-amping using the first choice.

Once you have made these comparisons in the real world vs glancing at datasheets, please share your opinion. But keep in mind, a good buffer stage backplane for the NC500 isn't cheap. Which is one of reasons for the cost differences between the NC500 based amps on the market.

Once you have made these comparisons in the real world vs glancing at datasheets, please share your opinion.

Actually, funny enough, you don't get to decide what I can and can not share - just like I don't get to decide what you can share.

But keep in mind, a good buffer stage backplane for the NC500 isn't cheap. Which is one of reasons for the cost differences between the NC500 based amps on the market.

Sure. So how does the cost change my argument?

Actually, funny enough, you don't get to decide what I can and can not share - just like I don't get to decide what you can share.

Sure. So how does the cost change my argument?

Your trying to make an argument based on datasheets. When I compare the datasheets, I see a 30w difference at 2 ohms with 1% distortion, and a 300w difference at 4 ohms with 1% distortion.

With actual listening tests using a pair of 4 ohm nominal 88db 1w1m speakers playing music at 115db's at the listening position, the NC400's audibly compress and saturate, where with the NC500's don't.

This isn't saying anything about the buffer stage. This result doesn't change no matter which buffer I use.

What this tells me is this amp seems to be better optimized for about 97% of the speakers on the market.

So argue till your blue in the face but it won't change the results of my actual tests.

I run 16 ohm speakers and would welcome an amp optimized for higher loads, the NC400 sounds superb but if NCore could be optimized for higher impedance that would be great since I have 400W capable amps running at 100W max due to the high impedance.

Of course, they're 99-100dB or so, which means that power compression is not much of a concern.

You can word things any way you want. But in reality, if we knew of a better amp module to suit our requirements, we would be using them.

We have no plans on offering a product directly competitive to the NC400 DIY amp anyways. Either way how is it any of your concern anyways?

Why can't we let the people decide what suits their tastes?

Obviously if someone is selling NC500 based amps they are known to Hypex.

Do you really think Hypex has no idea who they have accounts with? How about we let them govern their reputation.

You seem to be willfully misconstruing what Julf and others have said. You have a vested interest. Surely you can see that is relevant when people are interpreting your posts.

hypex ncore

You seem to be willfully misconstruing what Julf and others have said. You have a vested interest. Surely you can see that is relevant when people are interpreting your posts.

I have a vested interest because I tested the modules and like the results. I'm not trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes here. You can choose to listen to what I've had to say, or you can choose not to.

But obviously the smartest choice would be to compare for yourself before making a decision of which amp suits your personal tastes and requirements.

I have a vested interest because I tested the modules and like the results. I'm not trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes here. You can choose to listen to what I've had to say, or you can choose not to.

But obviously the smartest choice would be to compare for yourself before making a decision of which amp suits your personal tastes and requirements.

Well.. That is a contradiction, you have previously mentioned that you have an OEM relationship with Hypex. You have mentioned a plan of introducing a product to market utilising their technology, however refuse to educate us to what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.