Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Theodosis O
The NCore listening test was at my house.
You are correct that it was the NC1200 oem unit but Bruno told there will be not much difference in sound between the two.
We compared the units against an PassLabs clone AX200 with I already use for years and compared to al lot of different amplifiers also the UCD180 UCD400 and UCD700.
I find the PassLabs clone better sounding on my speakers the the Hypex UCD models.
But I like the NCore more than the PassLabs clone.
Yesterday I ordered 2 NCore and power supply's.

Rob

So we are looking forward for your fresh reviews

Hi Rob and Bruno,

please give me you opinion on choosing Hypex modules for a Bi amped system.

NCore for Mid/High
Bass plays to 220 Hz with first order filter, so there is still some output at 1000 Hz.

Is ncore for the bass necessary or a overkill?
Or should I try a UCD400.

Is there a significant difference for the Bass between the different UCD400 versions - normal, HG, HG with regulator?

I am especially interested in the opinion of people who did hear both modules.

Hi Rob and Bruno,

please give me you opinion on choosing Hypex modules for a Bi amped system.

NCore for Mid/High
Bass plays to 220 Hz with first order filter, so there is still some output at 1000 Hz.

Is ncore for the bass necessary or a overkill?
Or should I try a UCD400.

Is there a significant difference for the Bass between the different UCD400 versions - normal, HG, HG with regulator?

I am especially interested in the opinion of people who did hear both modules.

Same (very interesting) question here :
Same configuration except the bass up to 350 Hz for me.

So more general question : at what frequency do you begin to feel any significance difference ?

Thank you all ...

Rob, it would be greatly appreciated if you could describe a bit more on how you experienced the differences between the UCD, PASS and the ncore which you demoed.

From what has already been translated, you expressed differences in the balance between leading edge and decay where you positioned the UCD to be more bias towards the leading edge and the ncore to excel in much better including the decays too. When you say the ncore seems closer to the presentation of the PASS, do you thereby imply that nocre presented with less emphasis on leading edge, thus more laid back (like PASS) than UCD? Or did refer to your overall listening pleasure with ncore being more in league with the PASS than the UCD?

Not to bend words in anyway, I´m just very interested in understanding how you experienced the ncore better :)

BTW, it wouldn´t suprice me if you´ll find the DIY nc400 even better; it sure has even more impressive specs.

cheers

The original text I translated was by Marc Heijligers.

OK, thanks Bas Horneman. I somehow jumped to the conclusion that Rob Dingen was the writer behind the original post you translated.

Nevertheless, Rob, I am still equally interested in your experiences on how he perceived the differences between the UCD, PASS and ncore, no matter whether they relate to what was expressed in the translation or not :)

Hi All

I can't help to decide what you need for active 2 way because I don't have experience with it.
But in general I don't like to mix up different amplifiers.
The biggest difference between UCD and Passlabs clone is musicality in favor of the Passlabs clone.
The passlabs clone has also more drive in the mid bass area.
The Ncore has that drive also is very musical and has more topend detail than the passlabs clone.
It also has a bit more resolution.
So if my previous post is not clear I prefer the Ncore over the Passlabs clone.
But the difference is smaller then the difference between UCD and Passlabs clone.

Rob

Hi All

I can't help to decide what you need for active 2 way because I don't have experience with it.
But in general I don't like to mix up different amplifiers.
The biggest difference between UCD and Passlabs clone is musicality in favor of the Passlabs clone.
The passlabs clone has also more drive in the mid bass area.
The Ncore has that drive also is very musical and has more topend detail than the passlabs clone.
It also has a bit more resolution.
So if my previous post is not clear I prefer the Ncore over the Passlabs clone.
But the difference is smaller then the difference between UCD and Passlabs clone.

Rob
great, direct and concise. thanks!

I was just thinking about one side of the things that wasn't mentioned.
a dual-mono implementation of an NCORE-based amp (2 x SMPS, 2 x NCORE, a decent case, connectors and wires) amounts to ~1300 EUR in parts alone.
it is worth to say that a very good, tried and tested class A amp can be implemented for less. it is my opinion that with the NCORE Hypex decided to orient more towards the OEM market, not the DIY one.

Thanks to...

those who have posted their listening impressions (of the OEM modules). these observations are very promising, as the leading edge emphasis, and decay de-emphasis of most class D designs is something which I have always felt was their weakness. The impression that the nCore solves this "problem" is very encouraging indeed.

.. it is my opinion that with the NCORE Hypex decided to orient more towards the OEM market, not the DIY one.

Not just your opinion, even Bruno himself stated here that the core business of Hypex is the OEM market.
Apparently that market asks for high power amplifiers, which we DIY'ers don't need actually for our home speakers.
A lower power, and therefore maybe somewhat cheaper, amp module would be very attractive, but maybe we must be glad that at least something of this technology is available for DIY.

Status
Not open for further replies.