Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solder a SO8 to DIP8 header with ribbon extension in place of the LM4562 and the possibilities are endless. You could turn it into a hobby that would keep you amused for years.

Indeed, and as long as it is only receiving RF, you don't even need a ham radio license. If listening to random RF isn't your thing, keep the ribbon cable short, so all you pick up is mobile phones...

Indeed, and as long as it is only receiving RF, you don't even need a ham radio license. If listening to random RF isn't your thing, keep the ribbon cable short, so all you pick up is mobile phones...

3774e9a15945f427ae3c59c84b221ec6.jpg
c510becd846a1484aa30163c54f59829.jpg

Anyone I've heard using these have had great results.

I don't think you'll have any problem whatsoever driving them to their maximum rated 117.8 DB as clear as a bell with the 500's. They are 2db more efficient than my 4 ohm speakers and at 115db, there's absolutely no change to the amp's sound.

And I'm talking 115db at the listening position.

Bringing a <90dB/1w1m at 115dB+ will lead to distortion artifacts (intermodulation, harmonic, as well as power related) much higher than what these amps are specified to at maximum power...

Anyone I've heard using these have had great results.

Sorry to be a grammar nazi, but I assume you mean "everyone". Normally I wouldn't be bothered with language errors, but I want to be clear I understand your sentence correctly - and "anyone" vs. "everyone" does change the meaning of that sentence.

Anyway, a pure conversion header probably won't affect sound quality much, but any lengths of unshielded, un-twisted ribbon cable (or separate wires, as in your pics) is probably a bad idea, unless your circuitry is very well protected from EMF. Have you done an EMF analysis on that header/wire combination?

Bringing a <90dB/1w1m at 115dB+ will lead to distortion artifacts (intermodulation, harmonic, as well as power related) much higher than what these amps are specified to at maximum power...

Perhaps some distortion was present at those volume levels. But sounded very clean and pure to my ears. With the NC400, there is clearly audible saturation and compression at the same level.

Sorry to be a grammar nazi, but I assume you mean "everyone". Normally I wouldn't be bothered with language errors, but I want to be clear I understand your sentence correctly - and "anyone" vs. "everyone" does change the meaning of that sentence.

Anyway, a pure conversion header probably won't affect sound quality much, but any lengths of unshielded, un-twisted ribbon cable (or separate wires, as in your pics) is probably a bad idea, unless your circuitry is very well protected from EMF. Have you done an EMF analysis on that header/wire combination?

I trust the test results of the discrete opamp manufacturers who sell them for use with their discrete opamps.

Perhaps some distortion was present at those volume levels. But sounded very clean and pure to my ears. With the NC400, there is clearly audible saturation and compression at the same level.

Would love to compare 'scope pictures of the output signal for both modules at that level. Any chance of hooking up a scope? (Unfortunately I don't have access to a nc500)

I trust the test results of the discrete opamp manufacturers who sell them for use with their discrete opamps.

Depends on application and circuit topology. You might be fine in an all-analog, bandwidth-limited environment, but with high-power, high-frequency switching going on very close to the wires, all I can say is that I would not do it. Everyone is of course free to try, but I seriously suggest checking for HF components and possible oscillation by looking at the output signal with a fast scope or a frequency analyzer.

Did you use the same SMPS for this comparison?

Could it be the SMPS1200 vs SMPS600 difference, and not the amp-modules, you are hearing?

BTW, I thought it was obvious that having a commercial interest should mean that you should state it clearly in your signature. That is common sense. I though that it is stated in the diyaudio guidelines? I have to check that.

hypex ncore

Depends on application and circuit topology. You might be fine in an all-analog, bandwidth-limited environment, but with high-power, high-frequency switching going on very close to the wires, all I can say is that I would not do it. Everyone is of course free to try, but I seriously suggest checking for HF components and possible oscillation by looking at the output signal with a fast scope or a frequency analyzer.

Yes anyone is free to try. You can also put shielding around the unit as well.

Funny no noise is picked up from the 8" long ribbon cable that provides power to the opamp from the supply.

Last edited:
Did you use the same SMPS for this comparison?

Could it be the SMPS1200 vs SMPS600 difference, and not the amp-modules, you are hearing?

BTW, I thought it was obvious that having a commercial interest should mean that you should state it clearly in your signature. That is common sense. I though that it is stated in the diyaudio guidelines? I have to check that.

I was using 2 SMPS600's with the NC400's and a single SMPS1200A700 with the NC500's. So the same amount of power reserves available in both situations.

When I have products ready for the market, I'll share my company info in my signature. I'm currently just working on prototypes.

Those 88dB hifi loudspeaker typically have tiny VC that will get hot (and change impedance)with a few watts, small magnetic circuits and venting systems that will have difficulties to evacuate the heat, small radiating areas that will require high excursion to get a high SPL at LF, and not-that-big suspension systems (albeit already representing a non negligible part of the total radiating area...) that will hit xmax pretty quickly.

All in all if what one is looking for is 110dB+ levels, a big woofer and a compression driver is much more adequate.
(and even for <80dB listening levels IMHO :p ...)

Hey Mr POS

Sorry, just noticed your post about nc500 optimised for 8/4ohm ...is this in Hypex literature somewhere? I couldn't find it (using an iPhone to browse ATM).

I'm not on this Forum to be argumentative, here to learn so I can put my next dream system together...well aware that everybody has their own opinions (were all Human).

:)

Hey Mr POS

Sorry, just noticed your post about nc500 optimised for 8/4ohm ...is this in Hypex literature somewhere? I couldn't find it (using an iPhone to browse ATM).

I'm not on this Forum to be argumentative, here to learn so I can put my next dream system together...well aware that everybody has their own opinions (were all Human).

:)
There is no literature I know of about the nc500 (not for the general public at least I suppose).
The "optimized load" is just a matter of maximum A and V an amp can output, and the resulting Watt one can achieve for a given load..
Fro example if you bridge an amp you optimize it for volts, ie it will be "better" at handling high impedance loads, but "worse" at low impedance ones.

Nothing special there, and Hypex is certainly not limiting the 2 ohms rating just for the sake of marketing : it just does not has the current capability.

Status
Not open for further replies.