Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously I am interested in the amps. I think that's pretty clear. But I'm not going to offer a product like the Atash 500's. That's probably the only competitor to the NC400. Better report them to Hypex :). Maybe request that photo be removed by the moderators as well. We wouldn't want anyone to know there's alternative choices out there.

Are we having reading comprehension issues here, or an unwillingness to address/acknowledge the real issue? One more time - this is *not* about competition to Hypex or anyone else, or about not being allowed to talk about alternatives. It is about being open and forthcoming about commercial interests.

So just to be *very* clear - we don't have any problem with your commercial interests, and competing or not competing with whoever - as long as you are open about it, so we can put your statements in the right perspective.

Are we having reading comprehension issues here, or an unwillingness to address/acknowledge the real issue? One more time - this is *not* about competition to Hypex or anyone else, or about not being allowed to talk about alternatives. It is about being open and forthcoming about commercial interests.

So just to be *very* clear - we don't have any problem with your commercial interests, and competing or not competing with whoever - as long as you are open about it, so we can put your statements in the right perspective.

Well I think I was pretty open about things when I said "yes I'm an OEM" before you decided to make an issue out of nothing.

Hi Bavmike

Do you think anything could be done DIY about that 550W as you mentioned it's a Current limited situation requiring beefier 'X' of something? Like substituting Larger components on the board somewhere etc. or it's been locked down somewhere within a multi layer PCB :-(

Thanks again

Well I think I was pretty open about things when I said "yes I'm an OEM" before you decided to make an issue out of nothing.

I "decided to make an issue out of nothing" by simply asking:

Ah, just checking - so you might have a commercial interest in promoting the nc500 over the nc400?

To which you responded:

No just an honest opinion.

Do you see what the issue might possibly be?

Hi Bavmike

Do you think anything could be done DIY about that 550W as you mentioned it's a Current limited situation requiring beefier 'X' of something? Like substituting Larger components on the board somewhere etc. or it's been locked down somewhere within a multi layer PCB :-(

Thanks again

I doubt it. It's a smaller less powerful amp than the NC1200. That's all there is to it. I suppose you could probably bridge 2 together. Then it would put out some serious power. But really, I would try a single amp first before deciding they aren't powerful enough for your needs.

I "decided to make an issue out of nothing" by simply asking:

To which you responded:

Do you see what the issue might possibly be?

To me it sounds like in your mind there's no possible way I can be giving an honest opinion of the amp module, since I have an interest in using them.

In my mind the fact that I plan on using the amp modules rather than the several other choices on the market would most likely be because I like how they sound.

But why don't we just let the readers on the forum listen for themselves to the several NC500 based amps on the market and make up their own decision.

Dictating what a person should or shouldn't like is not helping anyone out here.

I think the real issue is a personal one for you, because you personally don't have a NC500 based amp, and can't bare to hear that someone thinks they sound better than your beloved NC400's.

Dictating what a person should or shouldn't like is not helping anyone out here.

I think the real issue is a personal one for you, because you personally don't have a NC500 based amp, and can't bare to hear that someone thinks they sound better than your beloved NC400's.
Unbelievable! Can't quite remember seeing anything like this before.

But it's starting to get quite humorous. Just leave it Julf. He doesn't get it.

To me it sounds like in your mind there's no possible way I can be giving an honest opinion of the amp module, since I have an interest in using them.

I am sure you are able to give an honest opinion, but it is still good for us to know that there is a possibility your opinions might carry a slight commercial bias.

In my mind the fact that I plan on using the amp modules rather than the several other choices on the market would most likely be because I like how they sound.
As you say, why not let people make up their own mind - by giving them the facts straight up?

Again, that has nothing to do with the issue, and nobody is dictating anything, but you seem hell-bent on deflecting it that way.

Ah, so the ad hominem attack, when the deflection didn't work?

I have no interest in carrying this discussion any further. Your responses have given me enough material to form an opinion about your modus operandi (unless there is a case of severe reading comprehension issue). I am pretty sure other people can make their own judgements too.

I am sure you are able to give an honest opinion, but it is still good for us to know that there is a possibility your opinions might carry a slight commercial bias.

As you say, why not let people make up their own mind - by giving them the facts straight up?

Again, that has nothing to do with the issue, and nobody is dictating anything, but you seem hell-bent on deflecting it that way.

Ah, so the ad hominem attack, when the deflection didn't work?

I have no interest in carrying this discussion any further. Your responses have given me enough material to form an opinion about your modus operandi (unless there is a case of severe reading comprehension issue). I am pretty sure other people can make their own judgements too.

Sounds like I hit the nail on the head. I'm glad this discussion can finally be closed now.

Back to discussing Hypex Ncore amp modules folks.

I doubt it. It's a smaller less powerful amp than the NC1200. That's all there is to it. I suppose you could probably bridge 2 together. Then it would put out some serious power. But really, I would try a single amp first before deciding they aren't powerful enough for your needs.

Thanks for the reply Bavmike. Out of interest, I ask you because you seem to know and understand the technology behind these modules...

Did I misinterpret the nc500 vs nc1200?

Nc1200 = 350W@8ohm 650W@4ohm 1200w@2ohm
Nc500 = 400W@8ohm 700W@4ohm 550W@2ohm

If that is correct, at a glance the nc500 is the more gutsy amplifier (perceivably), but had its wings clipped in the 2ohm range!

This seems even a bit lower than the nc400 which hits 600W@2ohm, if I'm not mistaken?

How it sounds is another matter, only you know so far as have the modules to play with...

It may be in the HPEX agreement to OEMs not to modify these boards, granted then your hands may be tied (I understand this, we have many NDAs where I work)

:)

Ps. Bridging in my experience has not been a good thing...although I remain open to it with nCore should others report no shortcomings over long periods of usage. AUDIOLAB 8000X7 in Bridged is not advisable with speakers that dip below 8ohm and bridging an Alesis RA500 led to catastrophic results once ;-)

Thanks for the reply Bavmike. Out of interest, I ask you because you seem to know and understand the technology behind these modules...

Did I misinterpret the nc500 vs nc1200?

Nc1200 = 350W@8ohm 650W@4ohm 1200w@2ohm

Nc500 = 400W@8ohm 700W@4ohm 550W@2ohm

If that is correct, at a glance the nc500 is the more gutsy amplifier (perceivably), but had its wings clipped in the 2ohm range!

This seems even a bit lower than the nc400 which hits 600W@2ohm, if I'm not mistaken?

How it sounds is another matter, only you know so far as have the modules to play with...

It may be in the HPEX agreement to OEMs not to modify these boards, granted then your hands may be tied (I understand this, we have many NDAs where I work)

:)

The NC1200 is 400/700/1200.

I wouldn't bother messing with the amp personally.

On paper it may seem that the 2 ohm rating of the NC400 being higher would translate to them having more balls than the 500. In reality, it's not the case. As I mentioned earlier, I haven't found a volume level yet where the amps audibly start to strain. But I have found this level with the NC400's. My speakers are also 4 ohm nominal.

I think the extra 4 amps of current is the figure you should be paying attention to.

Based on your explanation earlier in the thread of the sound profile your looking for, the Atsah 500's would probably suit your tastes better. This is due to the higher power, combined with the warmer signature of the LM4562.

Going this route also opens up infinite tweaking possibilities to the separate input buffer. This would allow you to fine taylor the sound to your exact tastes.

Which speakers will you be driving that will require gobs of power to drive to high levels?

hypex ncore

Well the NC400 is pretty neutral and transparent so one can put anything in front of it to add distorsion that suits one taste...

/

That's correct. But the can work both ways. I think the negative reports from people are due to this fact.

The reason alcohol and drugs are so popular is because some people like reality distorted while they are having fun.

Taking an ugly woman to bed isn't so bad after a few drinks. But I have to say that a 10 out of 10 is much better experienced sober.

That's correct. But the can work both ways. I think the negative reports from people are due to this fact.

The reason alcohol and drugs are so popular is because some people like reality distorted while they are having fun.

Taking an ugly woman to bed isn't so bad after a few drinks. But I have to say that a 10 out of 10 is much better experienced sober.

Haha my Wife would kill me for finding this amuzing!!

I spotted the OpAmp in the picture dropped of the Atsah 500 ...could this be replaced with filth like this Burson Audio – Supreme Sound Opamp V5 or Burson Audio

Haha my Wife would kill me for finding this amuzing!!

I spotted the OpAmp in the picture dropped of the Atsah 500 ...could this be replaced with filth like this Burson Audio – Supreme Sound Opamp V5 or Burson Audio

Solder a SO8 to DIP8 header with ribbon extension in place of the LM4562 and the possibilities are endless. You could turn it into a hobby that would keep you amused for years.

hypex ncore

Ps. My speakers are Monitor Audio PL200 (delightfully finished in Ebony to make them sound better than Black models ;-))

I don't think you'll have any problem whatsoever driving them to their maximum rated 117.8 DB as clear as a bell with the 500's. They are 2db more efficient than my 4 ohm speakers and at 115db, there's absolutely no change to the amp's sound.

And I'm talking 115db at the listening position.

That's crazy volume Sir, guard your most precious Speakers aka Cochleas!!! :)

I've only ever clipped my Amps once, showing off RANGO (brilliant movie) to my Uncle and that's not a volume level I would repeat again (respecting neighbours too)

Thanks for the tips...look forward to hearing more new nc500 Users sharing their experiences soon too.

Status
Not open for further replies.