Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
I borrowed a pair of nc400 with the 600 power supplies. Great amp, huge drive and control in the bass, but the treble range was all wrong, synthetic sounding, it just didn't gel for me at all. I'd use them to power my bass drivers, but not my raal tweeters. Ime, this does appear to be broadly speaking a class trait, the ice power, original ucd and some older class d I've heard all have a similar effect, mostly more apparent thgan it is with the ncore.

You might want to look at what's before the amps. The NC400's sound great with my Raven ribbons. But I'm feeding them direct with my Resonessence Mirus DAC. The NC400's are designed to be absolutely transparent. So if your used to amps that sprinkle fairy dust, you may be disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As noted, all class D amps don't sound the same - just as all class A amps, or class A/B amps don't all sound the same. It is almost like saying "I don't like the sound of amplifiers where the manufacturers name contains the letter 'M'".

So have you actually heard an nc400? I can of course understand that someone who is used to lots of colouring and/or distortion might not like the transparency of the nc400.
Yes ,I did and everybody has his taste.I'm not saying NCore isn't a nice sounding amp .

Generally...

I borrowed a pair of nc400 with the 600 power supplies. Great amp, huge drive and control in the bass, but the treble range was all wrong, synthetic sounding, it just didn't gel for me at all. I'd use them to power my bass drivers, but not my raal tweeters. Ime, this does appear to be broadly speaking a class trait, the ice power, original ucd and some older class d I've heard all have a similar effect, mostly more apparent thgan it is with the ncore.

If one hears a "problem" with a properly built NC-400 amp, the "problem" is elsewhere in the system. A colored amp can easily hide a problem source, for example, as the NC-400 is really just a clear window on the rest of the system. I directly compared my NC-400 amp to my PASS X150.5, for example, and heard more detail (more finely structured low level harmonics, better timbre) and better control over the speakers for more finely detailed bass. I heard this differences throughout the entire frequency range. No synthetic sound in my system whatsoever. This is why I use NC-400, as I build DIY DACs, and like to hear what they really sound like, rather than the sound of a cloudy colored amp.
One other thing, make sure a NC-400 amp is powered up for quite some time before auditioning, they can sound a bit hard without significant time to stabilize (do not ask me why, just an observation). so if you do a quick test with a cold amp, disregard it.

The conjecture that class d amps have a "sound" is ridiculous, many of them sound very different from each other, like the tubey sounding PS Audio HCA-2, or the ICEpower amps with their lack of high frequency extension and transparency.

As good as my NC400 dual mono setup was, there will be no turning back from the replacement for me :)

6b5b4dabc98b3c713865e3ecc13b99d5.jpg

Thanks again for the comments. Woah what happened with those Caps!!

Apparently there were a bad batch of CapsSSShhscitors on AUDIOLAB MDAC that are now starting to fizz out too... Was this an isolated case, or more starting to appear with nCore Users? ...how long ago were these modules bought? 8-/

Thanks again for the comments. Woah what happened with those Caps!!

Apparently there were a bad batch of CapsSSShhscitors on AUDIOLAB MDAC that are now starting to fizz out too... Was this an isolated case, or more starting to appear with nCore Users? ...how long ago were these modules bought? 8-/

That's just the new adhesive they are using to glue in the caps and dampen vibration. Apparently it has the best audio properties.

Phew I say. Looks like nc1200 as no hockey puck form factor :) ....how does this compare with your old nc400 BiAmp ? Very interested to hear how single nc400-to-BiAmpnc400-to-nc1200 compared, subjective or not!

It's the NC500. I like them better, but they don't have an onboard buffer stage. The buffer stage has a huge impact on how they will sound. So don't ever think all amps that use the NC500 sound the same.

I've been testing NAD M22 for a couple weeks now. There definitely is a difference compared to nc400. Smoother mids and biggers bass punch. Maybe not so open highs tho. Next week, i'll test Bel Canto ref600m, which is also based on nc500. Let's see what that will bring to the table.

Seems like not even NCore amps sound the same (different input stages, diffferent power solutions and maybe some modding/performance pushing by oem), yet alone whole class-d would be all the same. Well, maybe it used to be like that for a short while with all the icepower copy+paste amps, but seems like NCore based amps are more interesting in this sense.

It's almost scary how many well known brands are switching to NCore, either the nc1200 or nc500. Well done Hypex!

Last edited:
I've been testing NAD M22 for a couple weeks now. There definitely is a difference compared to nc400. Smoother mids and biggers bass punch. Maybe not so open highs tho. Next week, i'll test Bel Canto ref600m, which is also based on nc500. Let's see what that will bring to the table.

Seems like not even NCore amps sound the same (different input stages, diffferent power solutions and some modding), yet alone whole class-d would be all the same. Well, maybe it used to be with icepower copy+paste amps, but seems like NCore based amps are more interesting in this sense.

It's almost scary how many well known brands are switching to NCore, either the nc1200 or nc500. Well done Hypex!

The NAD M22 uses IC opamp buffers with IC voltage regulators powering them.

One thing I can tell you is the HxR voltage regulators make a huge difference with the LM4562. But using a pure class a discrete input stage makes an even bigger difference.

What do you mean by better? Could you define further?

Where from? Is that available now from Hypex?

Buffer stage... Hmm, is is still require to have one if you have enough gain from the previous stage (and presumably a low impedance)?

Interesting, thanks for sharing!

OEM only. If you have a high current stage capable of 13.46v output into a 1.8k impedance input, it will be enough to drive the NC500 to its full output un-buffered.

I remain surprised that, even allowing for taste, the top end of the NC400s can be described as 'synthetic'. I've had mine running with a few different speakers and they've all sounded good. Between DIY builds ATM and using a pair of Spendor S5e speakers with my subs. The treble, powered by the NC400s, is very clean. Certainly not harsh, thin, synthetic or anything else unpleasant. There may be amps out there I'd like better, perhaps even other Hypex designs, but I don't have any motivation to change. All the various speakers I've used sound more different to each other using the NC400s than the NC400s sound compared to other good amps I've heard.

Status
Not open for further replies.