Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Hypex Ncore
Hypex Ncore
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 10th May 2012, 12:47 PM   #3931
Bruno Putzeys is offline Bruno Putzeys  Europe
diyAudio Member

6moons heard both. Their verdict can be read between the lines. I'm sure Erland would be able to propose an improved power supply for the Devialet though.

Old 10th May 2012, 12:49 PM   #3932
TheShaman is offline TheShaman  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Putzeys View Post
I'm sure Erland would be able to propose an improved power supply for the Devialet though.

Old 10th May 2012, 12:54 PM   #3933
Omholt is offline Omholt  Norway
diyAudio Member

Hypex Ncore
Quote:
This changed when the Devialet D-Premier arrived on the scene. Not only is it an all-in-one phono stage, preamp and streamer but a hybrid class A/D power amp as well. Over the years we auditioned a number of class D-based designs and had mixed feelings. There always was something uncomfortable in the music reproduced. Exceptions were class D amplifiers mounted in a wooden enclosure. Somehow the wood’s natural filtering took off the nasty edges. With the Kharma MP150 a similar effect was achieved by loosening one of the screws on the bottom to let the amplifier breathe.
Thanks 6moons for the laugh of the day. No need for stomach exercises today!

Old 10th May 2012, 12:59 PM   #3934
TheShaman is offline TheShaman  Europe
diyAudio Member

There's a loose screw somewhere, that's for sure.

Old 10th May 2012, 01:13 PM   #3935
Goophy is offline Goophy  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Lord View Post
I am also disturbed by but sympathetic to Goophy's plight. I don't know if your gear is still on the market, but I would have urged you to try a tubed unit upstream of your ncore amps. A tubed DAC or preamp can add some nice, softening, honey masking to those nasty old CDs. Bruno (probably still) has a switchable notch filter at ~18kHz in his home system to quell the aliasing nasties that plague so many older 44.1K recordings.
That's a good idea.
I was pretty set on not using a preamplifier, just running the signal straight from the DAC, but it would be fun to try something different.

I'm trying to get a hold of an Eastern Electric Minimax pre. Will be interesting to see how much difference that will make.

Old 10th May 2012, 02:16 PM   #3936
Erlend Sæterdal is offline Erlend Sæterdal  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Hypex Ncore
Quote:
Originally Posted by troystg View Post
Have you heard either?
Yes the Devialet on Wilson Sophia and NCore at home.

Old 10th May 2012, 02:23 PM   #3937
Erlend Sæterdal is offline Erlend Sæterdal  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Hypex Ncore
Quote:
6moons heard both. Their verdict can be read between the lines. I'm sure Erland would be able to propose an improved power supply for the Devialet though.
Haha I know it is ugly but it is not as bad as you think !

A guy who heard the NCore I made talked with you in Munich. Told you we are going to compare with your switch supply !

Last edited by Erlend Sæterdal; 10th May 2012 at 02:35 PM.

Old 10th May 2012, 03:33 PM   #3938
pos is offline pos  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi Bruno,

Any plan for a current-drive (high output impedance) version of the ncore in the future?

Old 10th May 2012, 06:02 PM   #3939
Bruno Putzeys is offline Bruno Putzeys  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pos View Post
Hi Bruno,

Any plan for a current-drive (high output impedance) version of the ncore in the future?
No.

Old 10th May 2012, 06:17 PM   #3940
pos is offline pos  Europe
diyAudio Member

Thanks for that clear response.

Too bad, current drive can really lower driver's measured distortion (up to 20dB of 3rd distortion reduction in midband in my measurement with my TAD woofers), when properly EQed, and preferably used above resonance (read DIY speakers...).
Distortion at the output of the amp is not really meaningful if you get 100(0) times the distortion from the driver itself.

That will not stop me from buying some ncores to drive those of my drivers that do not benefit from current drive (and maybe even buy some more for other drivers and put a resistors inline ).

Closed Thread

Hypex NcoreHide this!Advertise here!