Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday my NCore 400s took what I think to be a pretty good static charge at the inputs. One channel survived but the other didn't. Both NC400 and SMPS600 seem to be not functioning. I checked the fuse and its good, swapped SMPS with known working module and tried the bad module with known working SMPS with same results so its obvious both NC400 and SMPS600 are not working. Both NC400 and SMPS600 are marked V3. Is this still the latest version of this pair? I've had them up and running since 11/2012. Not sure if I should try and repair or just replace.

I have made some measurements of Hypex nc400 output impedance by a current injection method. LP 20kHz (2 x RC) had to be used to suppress 450kHz carrier frequency. You will see description of the method in one of the attached images, plus measurements at 1kHz and 10kHz.

Attachments

• outforce_hypex_en.PNG
    outforce_hypex_en.PNG
    25.2 KB · Views: 418
  • hypex_outimp_1kHz.PNG
    hypex_outimp_1kHz.PNG
    25.3 KB · Views: 409
  • hypex_outimp_10kHz.PNG
    hypex_outimp_10kHz.PNG
    28.2 KB · Views: 410
rondr,

mine is v4.

Another question regarding the setup od nc400:

The manual states, under max values, input signal to be max +-15V.
I assume this is the maximal possible signal the module can handle at this point. But, I couldn't find any info about the expected signal.

What input signal would drive NC400 to clipping?
(is NC400 designed to work at line-level input (2Vrms)?)

I don't have speakers that could survive full load of nc400, and am trying to figure out the best source configuration for it...

What input signal would drive NC400 to clipping?

The output voltage at max power output is 40 V into 4 or 8 ohm (slightly lower for 2 ohm). Voltage gain is 26 dB. Thus the input voltage for max output seems to be 2 V.

I don't have speakers that could survive full load of nc400, and am trying to figure out the best source configuration for it...
In that case, you might want to look into removing/changing the resistor that controls the gain (in order to lower the gain).

Julf,

thanks for the info! Is there a non-invasive way to adjust the resistance/gain?

I have seen that there are three adjustable resistors (at least it seems so): R71, R95 and R136. However, I found no information about this adjustment in the manual...

Edit:
Found some infos here:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=105438.msg1087123#msg1087123

Still, a more detailed explanation would be nice :)

Last edited:
thanks for the info! Is there a non-invasive way to adjust the resistance/gain?

Not on the module - you would have to use external resistors.

I have seen that there are three adjustable resistors (at least it seems so): R71, R95 and R136. However, I found no information about this adjustment in the manual...
They affect DC offset and other stuff that you really don't want to touch unless you have to :)

ChrisPa, thanks!

I had to think about information theory, and how the relative information content of this thread is damn low, even though there is a bunch of useful information...

So far, the safest way I see is to hook my NC400s to the pre-out of my current amp and enjoy it while figuring out the optimal setup.

Maybe a hint for Hypex, to provide a jumper or a similar user-with-clumsy-hands-friendly way of adjusting the gain... My current amp is a 70wpc Marantz, and I have NEVER listened to it on full volume, even with speakers which are far from "high sensitivity". I bought nc400 for its supposed sonic qualities and power efficiency, not for 400w rated power.
So lowering the gain in a way that clipping occurs at some 110% of my maximal listening level (or just the maximal listening level after a couple of beers :D ) would be a nice way of going easy on volume controls.

Anyway, that's enough of further reduction in information content of this thread :eek:

My understanding is that the compact layout of the nc400 - small track lengths and circuit loops, and the use of surface mount components is a major part of the reason why it works and songs with the performance it does. Jumpers and through hole components would completely muck up its performance

I think you're getting over worried about its power and gain. Just try it and see. You have control over the volume knob - that's where gain is adjusted.

You could always use an external attenuator of you think it's necessary (and/or if removing r141 doesn't drop the gain enough

Status
Not open for further replies.