Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
It will not show, ARTA just using dual channel which is R in differential mode.

I guess you mean "difference between L and R", as the 0404 inputs aren't differential/balanced on their own?

The pervious link has information on the difference between single and dual channel measurements.
As far as I can understand, that measurement set-up defines "dual channel" as a "difference between measurement channel and reference channel", but as the circuit isn't DC coupled, the measurements at very low frequencies will be misleading (what is the difference between nothing and nothing?).

In any case the measurement system seems to be the limiting factor (as mentioned, the nc400 is DC coupled).

I guess you mean "difference between L and R", as the 0404 inputs aren't differential/balanced on their own?

As far as I can understand, that measurement set-up defines "dual channel" as a "difference between measurement channel and reference channel", but as the circuit isn't DC coupled, the measurements at very low frequencies will be misleading (what is the difference between nothing and nothing?).

In any case the measurement system seems to be the limiting factor (as mentioned, the nc400 is DC coupled).

ARTA's differential and EMU 0404 differential is not the same thing, ARTA's differential uses the reference channel to compensate the difference.

For DC Coupling, its good to have maybe in my future jig. But I believe the NCore should not have any DC Leakage, as my multi-meter shows 0V(DC), after I measure AC to 1W/8Ohms

Last edited:
Julf didn't mean replace your test jig resistors with a straight wire

He meant - measure the performance of your sound card with a straight wire. Simply connect the sound card's audio output to it's input and measure/plot the results

Oh ok, its Loopback test.

But you can find results of the EMU 0404 loopback test results online.

But here are mine, without spectrum analysis. All running in Single Channel

Left vs Right
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Left Channel Dist
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Right Channel Dist

ARTA's differential and EMU 0404 differential is not the same thing, ARTA's differential uses the reference channel to compensate the difference.[/quote

Right. As I wrote: "As far as I can understand, that measurement set-up defines "dual channel" as a "difference between measurement channel and reference channel""

For DC Coupling, its good to have maybe in my future jig. But I believe the NCore should not have any DC Leakage, as my multi-meter shows 0V(DC), after I measure AC to 1W/8Ohms

DC leakage and DC coupling are unrelated.

Try giving the nc400 a 0.1V DC input.

But here are mine, without spectrum analysis.

Thanks!

Left vs Right
Shows that the frequency responses are pretty much exactly the same, except for a difference in gain.

Right Channel Dist
Here the difference is again pretty small.

So, as I have implied, the nc400 is actually better than your test setup - what you are measuring is mostly your own measurement system.

Thanks!

Shows that the frequency responses are pretty much exactly the same, except for a difference in gain.

Here the difference is again pretty small.

So, as I have implied, the nc400 is actually better than your test setup - what you are measuring is mostly your own measurement system.

Ok why not run measurements on your own NCore and probably we can do some comparison?

Can someone explain how distorsion is measured? is it comparing input and output in discrete parts or as a larger whole? dont know how to explain what I mean...
The thing I am after is that the only thing I think is not "perfect" with my NCores, is how sounds decays. Feels like the end of a sound is chopped of. maybe thats the secret why the sound is so "clear"?
If a amplifier is loosing some decay of sounds, will that be shown as distorsion in a distorsion-measurement? That is really my question.

Last edited:
Can someone explain how distorsion is measured? is it comparing input and output in discrete parts or as a larger whole? dont know how to explain what I mean...

The typical method is by feeding the amp a sine wave, and watching how much signals show up at frequencies that are harmonics of that sine wave. It is a steady-state measurement where time and decay doesn't play any role.

The thing I am after is that the only thing I think is not "perfect" with my NCores, is how sounds decays. Feels like the end of a sound is chopped of. maybe thats the secret why the sound is so "clear"?

"Chopped off"? After some delay time, or below a certain level?

Regarding the "chopped decays". I've also observed some difference between top linear amplifier and the NCore. To me it was like "missing" or "reduced" ambient sounds in the recording, but it was just feeling and not properly performed blind test. Another person who uses several NCore in his home system has described difference against the same amplifier as "the lack of natural reverberation and spectral envelope of instruments/voices".

Status
Not open for further replies.