Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about biamping with using one smps per 2 ncores versus biamping and using a smps for each ncore?
On the paper, it is better to use separated SMPS.
In real world, my experience tells-me the contrary. And i tend to prefer one SMPS for the two stereo channels as well, instead of the hype two mono blocs configuration.

The reason is that the supplied voltage tend to collapse a little during transients. even with the best regulated SMPS.
In monoblocs configuration this affect only one channel, if the transient is only on this one: your stereo image will move during this transient. An unique SMPS will keep the stero image stable, because the overall gain will stay equal between the two channels. So for multi-amplification of active speakers, in regard to bandwidth coherency. On that point of view, passive filtering gives more natural results for the same reason. But active present other advantages.
Chose your poison.

Attachments

• crown delta omega 2000.JPG
    crown delta omega 2000.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 358
Last edited:
The reason is that the supplied voltage tend to collapse a little during transients. even with the best regulated SMPS.
In monoblocs configuration this affect only one channel, if the transient is only on this one: your stereo image will move during this transient.

Really?

As long as the amplifiers are not so close to their maximum output that they are clipping, the output will be independent of the power supply voltage (the supply ripple rejection of the nc400 is specified as at least 75 dB, the "near-static" power supply voltage variation rejection is probably much higher still.

75 dB means a 10% in the supply voltage will cause an output variation of 0.002% of full scale...

Just curious, knowing other Crown amps capability in the low end:
do you feel the ncore have as much "grip" and authority driving direct radiator woofers as Crown?

Can't tell, it is more than 10 years ago I owned this Dynaudio M4 4 way active studio monitor ( I build it myself:D). But one thing I can tell, those Crowns where awesome....... 32 output devices and 41 Kg ( monoblock)

Well, I can report, based on personal experience, that (at least at the power levels that I use) a smps600 shared between 2 nc400's works just fine, with no degradation in sound quality compared to dedicated smps's.

Thanks for sharing your impression.
It is good to know when investing your hard-earned money where the real improvements may lie. smps600´s are quite steeply priced and consume power while idling so obviously no need to use more than necessary...

BTW the easy hook up of nc400 + smps600 seems to work without cable mods when using one smps per amp. I´d guess that hooking one smps on two nc400s should be pretty straight forward, but it may cause some varying results depending on how it´s done. Julf, do you have a picture of how you did it, or can you describe it (did you just splice two hypex smps600 cables at the smps end or?...)

Has anyone tried the smps1200A400 for nc400?
Or compared different smps´s on the same amp?

That is just what i hear.
Notice it is very subtle, and can vary, depending of your enclosures ability to present a precise space localization.
Mine are so, with a very high efficiency speaker (compression driver and spherical horn based), supposed to be less power asking than others, so, less sensible to those effects.

Just my personal experience with careful listening comparisons and a full professional life dedicated to music (audio design and music producing).
As it is subjective, i will not fight against any opposite argues.
The last experience is recent, while i work on my system, to move from mono amplification with passive filters, to active filtering. I tried separated PSU, then unique one. Same conclusion.
I can be biased with my own believes too, but i do not think so.
There is a negative aspect: you need care with grounding implementation.

Last edited:
Julf, do you have a picture of how you did it, or can you describe it (did you just splice two hypex smps600 cables at the smps end or?...)

Will try to take a couple of pics tomorrow. I did the splice at mid-cable, in effect making a Y cable. If I get the time and inspiration, I might redo the cable harnesses to go all the way to the molex connector on the smps as separate cables.

Will try to take a couple of pics tomorrow. I did the splice at mid-cable, in effect making a Y cable. If I get the time and inspiration, I might redo the cable harnesses to go all the way to the molex connector on the smps as separate cables.

I have been looking at the same solution, but concluded it is impossible to get two wires on one Molex Microfit pin. It is to small!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.